My Hunting Year

nathank

my 2008 season went very well. My first hunt of the year was oct 1, i was hunting for bear and was sitting in a field that had plenty of bear sign. i was sitting for about half an hour when the first bit of action started, a coyote came out about 300 yds away and began walking towards me. when the coyote got to about 150 yds it spotted me and started barking and howling at me and coming in closer. I thought it was going to ruin my hunt, but when it got to 80 yds it took off. i was releived that i didnt have to shoot it and blow my hunt. about another half of an hour later is when the real action started. 250 yards away out popped a big bear, i watched the bear for a couple minuted and decided that it was a shooter. To my surprise another bear came out . now i had to decide which of the two was bigger. after some time i came to the conclusion that they were both the same size and i waited for a shot opportunity. finally one of the bears gave me that opportunity and i took him.

010_10.jpg

007_7.jpg

Next for me came guiding, after 2 days of seeing nothing me and my hunter finally had some luck. we set out very early one morning and when the sun finnaly came up where we were sitting there were deer everywhere, my hunter had his eyes on a buck but it wasnt legal shooting time yet and we were un able to tell if it was a shooter until it finnally was bright enough for us to see that indeed it was a shooter. i told him to wait for a shot because all we could see was the head of the buck at this point because it was partially behind a straw bail. when the buck stepped out my hunter took the shot and the deer was DRT, after he took his deer one doe stayed behind so i took that opportunity to fill one of my doe tags.

IMGP4196.jpg

2 days i decided to go out when everyone else slept in, so i got my little cousin out of bed at 6 in the morning and told him to come with me on his first hunting experience. after driving around for a while and seeing nothing i decided to check one last place, and as i was driving to that one last place i looked to my left across the river and noticed that there was a few does, i had never seen deer in that area and was pretty suprised. so i stopped and glassed for a while and saw a very nice buck. i got out of my truck and got into prone and set up for the shot. the buck was standing behind a tree and i waited and it stepped out. i ranged the deer at 300yds so i placed my cross hairs at the top of the back and squeezed one off. the deer dropped and was again DRT.

muledeer645.jpg

muledeer630.jpg

There was also alot of other hunting but i am running out of space, i took a doe with my bow and my dad got his calf moose and my friend who i was guiding took a nice whitetail buck.

so that was my year but it wasnt until after christmas that i entered my mule deer and bear into my local fish and wildlife game competition. i was very happy when i was awarded the biggest mule deer, and the biggest bear! i was also given the award of Master Hunter of 2008 i was very very happy.

IMGP4503.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Looks like you a had a pretty productive season! It's nice to see what's going on in the rest of the world. Thanks for posting your story and pics!

Congrats on a very successful season and a great read. How heavy was the bear it looks be in in the 400+ lbs. range. Very nice bucks too. Post more stories and pics when you have another hunt in. Thanks.

My bear weighed 350pds I thought it would have gone 400 also but it is the biggest bear I have seen in my area. I do all my hunting with my remington model 710 in 270 winchester. This year I am building a long range rig.

its great job you did there and congrats for that, could you tell us a little more abt the guns and ammo used here, thanx.

The gun is a cheap old remington model 710 in 270 win, I was shooting factory 130 grn remington core lokts for my deer and bear and my friend who shot his deer used my gun for that aswell. I love the gun haha I got it when I was seventeen as a birthday present from my dad and it has gotten me 14 deer, 2 bears, and 4 coyotes. Pretty good for a gun most people would write off as junk on this site haha.

i thought the bear would have gone around 19 inches as well but it ended up scoring 17 5/8 which would have been good enough for pope and young haha but i felt better at 200 yds when i was on the ground with two bears bearring down on me (no pun intended haha)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.