My guns (third try to get this to work right, Aaaargggh!)

Sweet. I am jealous of them all... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I didn't realize that they had pawn shops in Iraq where you could buy soldier shooting medals. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

James

Bring'er on. More power to ya!

The first name maybe a bit of a conflict /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif If Jardash or whatever had a problem with Lardash then... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Whose brand of stock is on that 250 and 338???

The Palma rifle is really interesting workmanship. When you get back home if you find it mysteriously missing, you will know who got it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

P.S.

If I email Nesika will they send my a "sticker" for my truck?

NesikaChad , I have never seen Stock bedding that Neat (on the stock marked Nesika ). Who did it and how was it done ??? I'm not familiar with high end Peep sights .... what type is shown , and how do you like it ??? TIA .

Black Hills Gunworks, LLC (or Inc, I haven't decided yet)
It's either that or
"Headspace Inc." Quote

Probably shouldn't use the 2nd name or you'll get inquiries asking for pipes and papers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Regarding shooting medals.

No, there are no pawn shops in Iraq that sell US Marine Corps Expert badges.

Those are mine. . .

6th award rifle
4th award pistol

And for the record. "Soldier" is an Army term. . .

Bedding...

I built everyone of these rifles myself completely from scratch. As far as procedure and materials. Those are little secrets and if you'd like to have it, I'd be more than happy to build you one once I leave the middle east for good.

All I will say regarding material is that it is a commercial industrial grade epoxy resin system designed for commercial boiler repair. It has a very low shrinkage percentage and very high Shore hardness. (The "Shore" scale is the system used to evaluate hardness of rubber, plastics, resins, etc. . .)

Sights:

Alan Warner, owner of Warner Tool Company makes the rear sight. The apertures and adjustable iris are all Anschutz.

The rear sight runs about $600 bucks without the iris's. With the stuff it can go almost to a thousand. Alan is highly sought after for these sights, so there is a bit of a wait to get one.

The front globe ladder sight is my design and my work. The accy's attached to it are Anschutz and Centra. I don't know what I'm going to charge for the front globes when I get them into production. Everyone of them will end up being a little different because of variances in sight radius on individual shooters. Ladder sights are unique because they are adjustable for elevation also. The jump in elevation from 800, 900, and then 1000 yards in international PALMA is pretty big. I'd have to check my notes, but it's somewheres around 30 minutes of angle if I'm not mistaken. (I may very well be wrong on this, don't crucify me, I'm guessing right now)
The ladder sights purpose is to absorb those major elevation changes on the front end. this way you are not cranking the snot out of that high dollar rears sight and wearing out the unit. You are also avoiding the nausea of adjusting the cheek piece at every yard line. This is working as a system to do one thing. Make the minimal amount of change felt by the shooter as possible. your position stays more consistent and you are not having to read scales and count clicks on the rear sight. At a PALMA match you have enough going on just trying to keep up with conditions and stuff.

Stock:

That stock started as a design from Nesika and then modified by me a little. They are not done on duplicators. It is a 3D computer generated surface that is machined completely from one end to the other by a 4 axis CNC Mill. The advantages of this are obvious in terms of manufacturing, but there are others as well not so obvious, but VERY important for a gun builder. The CAD software Allows you to manipulate the tool's contact point so that it has a shearing affect when cutting. This is very important (especially on high end walnuts) because the tool is not running on center and crushing the fibers. Picture a drill bit and think about the very center of the tool. Does'nt matter how fast you spin it, it's not really moving. It's not cutting then. It's "chewing" through the material with nothing but pressure. You sand and it finish it and the fibers underneath will then swell back up from sealer and oil. You'll be chasing your tail for a week to get it to look right. Some may try to argue this, but before you fire off a comment know that I didn't do all this just for the fun of it. It was out of nessessity. We had this problem and it is for a reason you may not see right away. Remember, stock duplicators run a router motor rotating at 20 to 30 thousand rpm.

CNC mills typically operate at much lower spindle speeds. 8 to 12 K. (yes, there are units that run much faster, they are also ridiculously expensive and hard to justify when you can solve a problem with software instead)

A foot note:

I read through this afterwards and find myself thinking that I'm coming off as a little "****y." I don't mean to, but I would like to make a point.

Gunsmiths operate a business and just like anyone else in business, they are in it to be profitable. It is doubtful any of us will ever get rich off of it, so there is the other half too, we like doing it.

That being said I encourage everyone having a rifle built to consider the investment a shop owner has in his business. A good mill is 20 grand. A great mill is half a million. A cheap lathe is 5 thousand dollars, a really good one is also six figures. We have to pay for this stuff somehow. It's not realistic for us to hand out all the secrets when we have mouths to feed and machine payments, mortages, car, insurance, bla, bla, bla.

It's your hobby, it's our lifestyle.

Just as you wouldn't go to the nice steak house with your own cut of T bone shoved in a zip lock bag, I wonder why gunsmiths allow customers to show up with all the parts for a new build.

You can't do it when you have your car worked on by the dealership. . .

The only way gunsmiths get to stick around is if they get to stay in business.

Just some food for thought. . .

Thank you all for the interest and kind words.

Chad Dixon

Everyone seems to have trouble with that one. You are right. I just thought it kind of emulated "Chopper's Inc" from the discovery channel show. Simple, uncomplicated.

I had one guy ask if I was building engines. I used to work on Comp Eliminator dragster engines and Top Fuel cylinder head development. I've yet to hear the term "headspace" anywhere on a car though. (other than a lewd comment made to me once by an old man who said it was the distance from your lap to the bottom of the steering wheel. . .)

Thanks for the input.

Chad

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts