Making my Caldwell DFT work

sunshinegirl

Bought a Leadsled several months ago, have a 300 RUM, and have a problem getting more than one shot off without have to readjust the whole thing. The front pad, which came with sand, then I put in BB's, and now corn media, allows the front stock to sink, or shift. The back rest has no provision for accommodating the tip of a rubber recoil pad, so when you grip the rifle for a shot, the tip compresses changing point of aim. I am about ready to sell the dumb thing, and find one that works. I wrote Caldwell several times abou this, but no one there seem kind enough to write back. On TV they show a guy shooting one shot after another, and the bullets making a tight group on the target. so much for reality TV. Appreciate any help. Rachel

i have to say im not surprised you arent happy with your lead sled. i thot they were great when i first used one, but a bipod and rear bag combo is so much better imo. just get a harris swivel leg notch in 6-9inch or 9-13inch and a caldwell or similar type rear support bag. i think the bipod/bag combo is WORLDS better than a lead sled, and ugh lead sleds just AREN'T as good as some ppl think they are or as caldwell markets them, the front of the rifle can just wobble, you have to support the front and also try to keep the back of the rifle steady, i can see how you'd have the prob with the recoil pad compressing...

You will never get groups as good from a lead sled as from good bags or bipod\bag combo.

Trade the the lead sled for a good recoil shield and pad.

I know how you feel, I went down the same road when I started.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.