My first slug gun - considering a 870 or 220

Thanks again all. For a newbie to hunting and guns like myself all these things are overwhelming. So much to learn about....

I'm mainly hunting whitetails in NJ so I can't see my shots being much further than 50-100 yards. However since completely looking a specialized guns for the job can quickly run up a fortune I don't want to just get something for that application. For example, I might consider hunting hogs or bear in the near term. Even the 220 can quickly ring up a bill of close to grand when all is said and done, ie slug gun, base mount, scope, and I'm guessing possible gunsmith and ammo costs to zero it in. I'd rather build up my inventory than go all out upfront. Plus the wife is much more accepting of the boil the frog method than suddenly seeing a safe full of guns. :)

The short version.

If you're considering going with a muzzleloader you're obviously open to a single shot weapon. I encourage you to SERIOUSLY consider the H&R ultra slug gun 20ga. If cost is a concern it is by FAR the most bang for the buck, and it's a GREAT shooting gun.

I have a savage 220, H&R 20ga ultra slug hunter thumbhole stock, and a T/C muzzleloader. The stainless 220 is WAY nicer than the H&R, but it won't out shoot it, or at least not by much.

Last edited:
I too own both the Savage 220f and the H&R Ultra Deluxe 20ga., both have the same scope Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 and both shooting Remington Accutip 3", the Savage will out shoot the H&R not by alot, but it will out shoot it.......The Savage gets the edge just not only in the accuracy part, but in the trigger, safety, weight, and most important factor, handles like a rifle

I too own both the Savage 220f and the H&R Ultra Deluxe 20ga., both have the same scope Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 and both shooting Remington Accutip 3", the Savage will out shoot the H&R not by alot, but it will out shoot it.......The Savage gets the edge just not only in the accuracy part, but in the trigger, safety, weight, and most important factor, handles like a rifle

I whole heartily agree that everything about the savage is WAY NICER, and if I had to have one or the other I'd go with the savage every time, but if you're open to a single shot, and concerned $$$ the H&R is a super value.

What size groups are you getting, and at what range, or what field data do you have? Mine are an ongoing project, and I'm always curious and open to more information.

I put the Leupold 2.5-8 x 36 on both of mine, but if I were buying a scope for either one again I would go with the Leupold ultralight vxII 2-7x 28. For whatever reason the ultralight has 85MOA of vertical adjustment, compared to the standard models 65 MOA of adjustment. And to my eye the 2-7 x 28 ultralight is the clearest brightest scope I have.

For my Savage 220f, I never did take a picture of my target at 200 yds but I'm getting between 1.3" & 1.5" 5 shot groups.....at 100 yds., I'm getting 3/4" 3 shot groups, granted this under perfect conditions on a rest. Here is a picture of my 100 yrd target, notice the group that is above center on the solid orange line, also pictures of my 220f before and after getting it hydro-dipped....as far as value the H&R is a hidden value for a dedicated slug gun

Attachments

• target 220.jpg
    target 220.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 156
  • savage 220f.jpg
    savage 220f.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 149
  • savage 220f dipped1.jpg
    savage 220f dipped1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 137
I think I've all but eliminated the 870 as an option. I didn't know the H&R was in the same league as the the Savage. I'll check it out.

Any advice on scopes as well for either slug gun would be helpful!

I think I've all but eliminated the 870 as an option. I didn't know the H&R was in the same league as the the Savage. I'll check it out.

Any advice on scopes as well for either slug gun would be helpful!

Scope selection depends on the distance you anticipate shooting, and price range.

Either gun in a 20ga is easily capable of 200 yards, and beyond, but if you don't anticipate shooting that far you don't need a scope that will accommodate that distance; having wrote that even a 4x is sufficient for aiming at 200 yards.

If I were buying again I would go with the 2-7 x28 ultralight with a CDS dial on top (have that exact scope on another gun, and LOVE it), or I would try Leupold's purpose built shotgun/muzzleloading scope in 2-7 x33. I don't have one of those so can't speak for it from personal experience, but they seem to have great reviews, and they're way less expensive than getting a CDS dial put on the ultralight scope.

If you're not going to try shooting it far enough to need an adjustable elevation dial, or a hold over reticle take a hard look at the 1-4x scopes; they're sufficient.

I didn't care for the scope mount that comes on the H&R so I replaced it with a Talley.

And yes, I'm brand loyal to Leupold. That doesn't mean the others don't make good products, but Leopold is the brand I've settled on.

Which ever brand you go with you don't need a 3-9 x40, or anything as large or larger, unless it just happens to have the features you decide on at a price you like.

Leupold® UltimateSlam® Muzzleloader/Shotgun Scope : Cabela's

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.