First long range slug gun 12ga or 20ga?

SofaKing

I'm looking at deer hunting SE Minnesota farm land next year. Would like some input on putting together a LRH slug gun.
What to use?:
First off 12 or 20 gauge?
What slugs?
Next bolt, pump, or break action?
Brands of accurate rifled slug guns?
Realistic shooting distance?

I'm looking at deer hunting SE Minnesota farm land next year. Would like some input on putting together a LRH slug gun.
What to use?:
First off 12 or 20 gauge?
What slugs?
Next bolt, pump, or break action?
Brands of accurate rifled slug guns?
Realistic shooting distance?

Anyone?

There are a couple of customs out there that can be purchased, but I would go with a factory Savage bolt in 20 gauge.

Mine will shoot very well with Remington 3 inch Accutips

Hello. I have owned both the savage and the HR slughunter. Also a few 870s. Now only two of those are long range guns. No matter what I did to my 870 it didn't shoot good long range. Now as for the other two. Both shoot fantastic and you can't go wrong with either. My personal choice was my HR shooting 3 inch accutips. This gun just slightly bested the savage. And I believe it just depends on the gun you personally get. Because some savages and hr are better than others. I consistently get cloverleaf patterns with my hr and almost that tight with the savage. So in short save a little money and get the HR ultra slughunter deluxe, with the thumbhole. Follow up shots usually aren't needed but can be very quick with some practice.
Now as for 20or 12, 20 hands down.
As far as distance I would say about 225. I can hit my deer shaped steel target at that distance every time. Probably further, but energy starts to fall fast so I don't get to caught up on that. My feeder is at 209 and I have taken several at that range.
Hope this helps.

Has anyone used a Mossberg 695? Heard they are accurate.

I used to own one. It shot pretty good but I never tried further than 110-120 yards. It was ugly, a beast to handle and punished you pretty hard. The trigger was terrible but I had a smith smooth mine out. IMHO I would spend your money on a Savage 220.

I have to say savage 20 gauge with hornady sst slugs. Ive been shooting this for years and wouldnt trade it for the world. 225yds ALL DAY no questions. Everything Ive shot at ( at least 30 deer) has dropped immediatelyfrom 20 to 230yds

I agree with the assessment of the Savage, their quality is comparable to other more pricy firearms. The bolt is always going to be more accurate and a thumbhole will just give you more stability. If you want anything further than 200-225 I would go with a muzzleloader. I can go up to 300 on the range, but wouldn't likely shoot at deer this far. I don't know your laws, but for long range I use a 300 asm with cheap Remington core-loot for whitetail in MI. I've shot deer at 425 yards and dropped with one shot and no run.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.