Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

Do you have a brake on your 300 Win Mag?

• Yes: I like it.

Votes: 340 55.7%
  • No: I am not a wimp.

Votes: 114 18.7%
  • No: But I am seriously thinking of one.

Votes: 156 25.6%

• Total voters
My installation of a muzzle break was valued. I installed a JP Large-Profile Compensator on my .308 and .300 wm remi 700's. It just makes shooting and hunting that much more enjoyable. Follow up shots and spotting shots are made easy with the installation of the break. I enjoy the JP because it does not disperse shock downward but only out to the sides and up....the .308 kicks south of my .243 and .300wm just north of the .243.

On a side note...
I have read that several of you don't wear hearing protection while hunting, whether hunting with a break on a gun or not,, you should really reconsider that practice...that ringing is permanent hearing loss. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, (or sabotage the thread), however your hearing, just like your eyes aren't disposable. There are countless of products out there that are electronic earmuffs or buds...heck I just wear one foam earplug then put the other in right before I shoot ANY of my guns. Think about it.

I think what some of you guys dont realize is that SOME of us arent 1000 yard shooters. Some of us only have about 2 seconds to take the shot. I have never shot a deer PAST 200 yards here in Virginia and most of the time when I shoot the deer has already seen me by the time I am ready to shoot. I hunt from a tree stand sometimes where I am allowed to move a bit more, but I count on my sense of hearing more than my sense of sight when it comes to locating a deer. Sometimes when I hunt dense cedars I cant even see the deer coming, but I can hear the thing trampling or skipping through the woods. I do have electronic muffs I use when Im just shooting for fun, but I really dont like them for hunting because the Microphones on the headsets project TOOO much sound. Every bird and squirel sound like a bear rolling down the hills. The point I am making is that some of us dont have the luxury of hunting from our vehicles or hunting through a spotting scope from 800-1000 yards away. I hunt like everyone else around here, we get up at 4am, be in the woods an hour before sunrise, sit extremely still whether that be in a blind, stand, or simply on the ground against a hay bail, sit and be patient, LISTEN and watch, and wait some more! hahaha

But I am extremely jealous on the way some of you get to hunt out west. One day I may get the chance to come out that way and pop an elk. We dont have many of those.. (maybe 1 or 2 a year is reported around here). I just started a thread recently about buying the right muzzle brake but i have come to realize maybe I dont need one. My .300 is a hunting rifle and not a target gun. I figure ill sight that thing in once a year, shoot it (hopefully enough to fill my tags) and put her away till next season. I just dont think hunting with ear protection is a good idea for hunters like me. I TOTALLY AGREE with hearing protection when casually shooting or LONG range shooting, but for the average hunter, I would say away from hearing protection. Didnt mean to Hi-jack or cause problems. Its just my beliefs.

My installation of a muzzle break was valued. I installed a JP Large-Profile Compensator on my .308 and .300 wm remi 700's. It just makes shooting and hunting that much more enjoyable. Follow up shots and spotting shots are made easy with the installation of the break. I enjoy the JP because it does not disperse shock downward but only out to the sides and up....the .308 kicks south of my .243 and .300wm just north of the .243.

On a side note...
I have read that several of you don't wear hearing protection while hunting, whether hunting with a break on a gun or not,, you should really reconsider that practice...that ringing is permanent hearing loss. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, (or sabotage the thread), however your hearing, just like your eyes aren't disposable. There are countless of products out there that are electronic earmuffs or buds...heck I just wear one foam earplug then put the other in right before I shoot ANY of my guns. Think about it.

I hear ya but just barely. Lol. I am going to have a pair of ear plugs around my neck while hunting from now on. Unfortunately it took me until 37 to decide to do this. I will shoot without if it is time sensitive but 99%I of the the time I should have time to put in ear plugs.
I have also learned that not all breaks are equal. I have a ported tikka that is extremely loud without dual ear protection. My newest rifle has a break with a lot smaller holes and is not near as loud.

I think what some of you guys dont realize is that SOME of us arent 1000 yard shooters. Some of us only have about 2 seconds to take the shot. I have never shot a deer PAST 200 yards here in Virginia and most of the time when I shoot the deer has already seen me by the time I am ready to shoot. I hunt from a tree stand sometimes where I am allowed to move a bit more, but I count on my sense of hearing more than my sense of sight when it comes to locating a deer. Sometimes when I hunt dense cedars I cant even see the deer coming, but I can hear the thing trampling or skipping through the woods. I do have electronic muffs I use when Im just shooting for fun, but I really dont like them for hunting because the Microphones on the headsets project TOOO much sound. Every bird and squirel sound like a bear rolling down the hills. The point I am making is that some of us dont have the luxury of hunting from our vehicles or hunting through a spotting scope from 800-1000 yards away. I hunt like everyone else around here, we get up at 4am, be in the woods an hour before sunrise, sit extremely still whether that be in a blind, stand, or simply on the ground against a hay bail, sit and be patient, LISTEN and watch, and wait some more! hahaha

But I am extremely jealous on the way some of you get to hunt out west. One day I may get the chance to come out that way and pop an elk. We dont have many of those.. (maybe 1 or 2 a year is reported around here). I just started a thread recently about buying the right muzzle brake but i have come to realize maybe I dont need one. My .300 is a hunting rifle and not a target gun. I figure ill sight that thing in once a year, shoot it (hopefully enough to fill my tags) and put her away till next season. I just dont think hunting with ear protection is a good idea for hunters like me. I TOTALLY AGREE with hearing protection when casually shooting or LONG range shooting, but for the average hunter, I would say away from hearing protection. Didnt mean to Hi-jack or cause problems. Its just my beliefs.

I could not agree with you more. I hunt in South Ga. and if you've never hunted in the Southeast then you will never understand how dense the woods are. I killed two bucks this year, the first in Ga at 360yds down a shooting lane about two tractors wide, If I had not picked up my rifle got on him and shot as fast as I could have, he would've got away. No doubt. There was no time to put hearing protection on even if I was wearing them on my head. The second buck I killed was in Pratt,KS. Shot him at 570, longest shot I've ever made and had all the time in the world. I wore hearing protection... it's different worlds for sure.

Most people just don't get it. Even if you wear electronic protection what you don't get is, even though you can hear something coming, you have no clue what direction it's coming from. It takes away your directional hearing and is just not logical in the South East.

meaning no disrespect, just food for thought...

I hear some of you stating that one of the primary reasons for not utilizing hearing protection is that the protection limits ability to hear game.

alot of muffs and electronic plugs have hearing protection and enhanced hearing capabilities so that argument against breaks doesn't flygun)

I've been strictly a bowhunter for the past 20+ years.Always had rifles and was a rifle shooting fool in my 20's.I had a ported 270 win that was SOOOOOOO much fun to shoot because it didn't KICK!
When I sold that gun,my interest in rifle shooting declined.Recently I trade a rifle for a 300 win Bansner Sheephunter w/ a break.
W/ hearing protection.I ran 2 rounds of 180 Rem core-loks and was SHOCKED at how comfortable it was to shoot a rifle w/ such power.Infact,this particular rifle has rekindled my interest in rifle shooting again!
W/ this same rifle.A freind of mine 13 year old son,who wouldn't shoot anything larger than a 243 win,shot 16 shots in a row on sandbags!!
MUZZLE-BRAKE A 300 WIN?As a bowhunter.HECK YAH

Are you kidding me? I am not trying to start a war but this is a long range hunting forum.....correct? I currently have one rifle with a brake on it, a 300rum that without the brake is horrible to shoot. I built a 12 pound 300wm last year that I feel I will put a brake on and possibly one of my 308s. I used to think I was tough but due to some past injuries sneaking up I will join the "sissy" crowd.

Are you kidding me? I am not trying to start a war but this is a long range hunting forum.....correct? I currently have one rifle with a brake on it, a 300rum that without the brake is horrible to shoot. I built a 12 pound 300wm last year that I feel I will put a brake on and possibly one of my 308s. I used to think I was tough but due to some past injuries sneaking up I will join the "sissy" crowd.

Exactly. One of the benefits of a break on a larger magnum is to be able to see your own bullet impact at long range, so that if you need to make adjustments you can. If you aren't shooting over 200 yards, well you probably don't need a 300 Win Mag anyways, but if you like the abuse of a 7 pound magnum in your tree stand then by all means have fun, but a 243 will do the job.

One more thing, if you don't have 2 seconds to put ear protection in, you probably shouldn't be making a "long range" shot anyways.

Exactly. One of the benefits of a break on a larger magnum is to be able to see your own bullet impact at long range, so that if you need to make adjustments you can. If you aren't shooting over 200 yards, well you probably don't need a 300 Win Mag anyways, but if you like the abuse of a 7 pound magnum in your tree stand then by all means have fun, but a 243 will do the job.

One more thing, if you don't have 2 seconds to put ear protection in, you probably shouldn't be making a "long range" shot anyways.

I am guessing this is not addressing me because I stated I want a brake on my win mag and 308 win. I have a 300 yard range in my back yard, I almost always wear, at a minimum, ear plugs while shooting. I shoot a 12 pound 300 win mag. I have not killed a deer in about 5 years, and I have never been in a tree stand to hunt deer. Last but not least I like my 25-06 better then my 243. And you have my permission to call me a sissy because I like a muzzle brake, and I am a hater of wolves.

Last edited:
I am guessing this is not addressing me because I stated I want a brake on my win mag and 308 win. I have a 300 yard range in my back yard, I almost always wear, at a minimum, ear plugs while shooting. I shoot a 12 pound 300 win mag. I have not killed a deer in about 5 years, and I have never been in a tree stand to hunt deer. Last but not least I like my 25-06 better then my 243. And you have my permission to call me a sissy because I like a muzzle brake, and I am a hater of wolves.

I am agreeing with you... Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm having one put on my 12 lb. 300 Win Mag right now. I have hunted with it without, but because I want to do a better job staying on target, I'm going with a Muscle Brake.

Is it an inconvienence having to wear ear protection, yes. But the benefit of having my gun recoil more like a .243, making it much more fun to shoot and helping me watch my shots is well worth the 5 seconds to put earplugs in.

I want to put one on mine. And I am pretty sure breaks do not actually magnify the sound, but just redirect it. The perceived sound is louder because it is coming back at the shooter via the reflection off of the baffles instead of heading straight down range.

Like I said, If you don't hunt in the Southeast you'll never get it. I don't know what you call long range, but to me, it's past 300. And while your busy wondering what you could've done different, I'll be taking pictures with my trophy.

I have a Gentry brake on my rifle mostly because they are 45 minutes from my house. I will say it is affective in significantly reducing recoil, and not as loud to the SHOOTER as some others I have been around. It directs the gasses slightly forward, and is like i say not to much louder then no brake, but if you are not directly behind the gun it is as loud as the rest. I consider long range hunting a target past 500 yards, but that is another topic.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts