Recoil on a 300 Win Mag

What would you recommend as a good recoil reducing stock for this 300. It is a A-Bolt Stainless stalker with synthetic stock. It is factory other than a trigger job.

Archer

I'd go with the McMillan Browning Classic. It's been my experience that this style of stock directs most of the felt recoil straight back, which for me is preferred.
In my earlier post I mentioned reloading components, depending on your specific shooting needs, you might want to take a look at the Barnes 165-gr & 180-gr TSX BT with their respective .505 & .552 BC! You should be able to easily achieve 3200 fps MV with the 165-gr, and 3000-3100 fps MV
with their 180-gr from a 24" barrel. I was getting a bit more from my 26" barreled Ruger#1, 300 WM. The 180-gr velocities are right in their with the 300 Weatherby with about 10% less powder. Your particular rifle's performance may vary. The point here is, if the 165-gr Barnes TSX satisfies your needs, your felt recoil is less, yet still produce excellent accuracy and unbelieveable terminal performance out to 500-600 yds. I'd also recommend you take a hard look at the Berger VLD bullets as well.

I love my Browning Classic:

A-BoltCamp.JPG

It does direct the recoil much straighter back than the original stock making a huge reduction in felt recoil. I highly recommend it.

Oh, BTW, those Barnes bullets don't have BC's anywhere near that high in reality. The new MRX's won't even be that high although they will be a lot closer.

I would install a brake. I shoot .30-.378 mag. with the brake it kicks less than my .270 win. I have a son that was born with hearing in one ear. He's five years old and loves to shoot my 22-250. I was really scared to let him shoot due to his hearing. I searched the internet and came up with Pro ears. after I emailed them and explanined his issue to them. They called me up to ask me a few questions After talking to them in person I purchased a pair for 260.00 they said they should last 20 years and if he didn't like them they'll take them back. Here came the big test I had my find pull the trigger of my 30-378 while I stood next to the barrel it sounded like someone clapped there hads and then I could hear the shell being ejected and rolling on the cement. Now I bought a pair and wear them over my hunting hat and can't tell if I have them on.

Hope this helps Aaron

I can't imagine wearing them while hunting. May just be that I should LEARN to use them. Maybe for Turkey hunting but not the other species I hunt as it usually is MILES of hard walking every day.

Archer

My Uncle in Alaska Bought a pair after using my kids at the range now he stalks his and when a there is a chance to pull the trigger he puts them on. I hunt white tails in Minnesota and with todays electronics its like wearing a hearing aid that blocks loud noise and enhances softer sounds. You should see if any of the local ranges in your area rent them. After the first time I used one I'm hooked. You only have one set of ears it pays to take care of them.

see ya later
Aaron

I carry ear plugs, and only put one in the ear that is not against the stock just before I shoot (works well with a 300 mag w/brake). The only time that I can't do this is if a deer pops out of the sagebrush at 50 yards, otherwise I have plenty of time to put one in.

There is no way that I could wear shooting muffs while climbing hills around here - I'm too fat & out of shape for that (too much sweat).

I had a Browning A-bolt Stalker in .300 Win Mag also. It too was a real shooter. It averaged .5"-.75" at 100 yds with max load. But I swear that I had to put my eyeballs back in after every shot. Because of the recoil, I had to have absolute concentration to shoot decent groups with it. I eventually sold it solely because of the it's recoil velocity. I've shot .458 Win Mags that didn't scramble your brains like that .300 did.

A lot of my hunting and shooting was done with a 300win and it never seemed to be that abusive. That could be due to the fact my guiding rifles 300 & 400 gr bullets. Every once in a while you just can't get any closer and thats where a 300 mag really shines,

I've built a lot of stocks from laminated blanks that provide enough weight to result in significant recoil reduction. I am also a fan of muzzle brakes though. There are some on the market now that offer a screw on shield in case you want to shoot it without the brake, but I can tell you that I've tamed quite a few with the laminated stocks and brakes. 264 Win Mag now feels like a .223! Almost no recoil! Built my wife a ss 7 Mag with the same results. She only uses one hand at the range when shooting.... I know muzzle brakes have a lot of negative comments, but they are usually from the folks sitting next to you!

had surgery on my rotator cuff, rt shoulder last thrus the 25 th. three of my tendons were torn, the other one severed. continued to shoot the day before the operation. gun....338 lapua w/ KDF brake. good ear protection and a muzzle break makes it a fun gun to shoot. in the field i usually don't remember hearing the rifle go off. huh, what was that, didn't hear you!!

I have a A-bolt 2 in 338 Win Mag. 26" barrel, Vari-x2 3-9 and a wood stock. I shoot the Barnes XLC 210 gr with 78gr RL22, for about 2900FPS. I agree with before mentioned note on the burn rate. Alot of people feel that that is why the 50BMG is tollerable, real slow powder. I also have a Rem 700 BDL in 300 Win mag, 24" barrel, wood stock, fixed 4x redfield. I shoot 168SMK over 68gr IMR4350 for about 3100Fps. It kicks more than the 338!!!!The a-bolt has a limbsaver on it, before that it kinda hurt with this load(which is slightly compressed), usually I would shoot 8-12 200gr Nosler Bal tips, then try one of the Barnes loads....and I was done for the day.Alot more recoil. The limbsaver was awesome, now I shoot 8 or so of the Barnes in a day. The Rem was mentioned because I HATE the BDL stock...too thin, too light, not high enough cheek...crap stock. I bought a Boyds Laminate Varminter Thumbhole stock off of Ebay for $72. Very rough inlet but it feels great, good cheek, nice wide forend, and a very good thumbhole, I can really suck it in to my shoulder. I am waiting to see if it will need the Mercury tube I bought for the 338WM origanally but might need it on the 300WM. If I had the large $ say...$400. I would probably try the in ear protection at first, then a well made brake like 308NATE makes, and try a cheaper stock. That is a lot of money to spend and HOPE that you like it. I am trying the cheaper route and if it comes down to it I would probably go with an A-3 or A5.......also there is the Counter Coil. If anyone has used one they should be bragging on them if they work, they are a hydraulic cylinder that you mount between the pad and stock. Email me if you want and I can scan in the brocher they sent me.

[email protected]
Joe Oakes

[ QUOTE ]
I carry ear plugs, and only put one in the ear that is not against the stock just before I shoot (works well with a 300 mag w/brake). The only time that I can't do this is if a deer pops out of the sagebrush at 50 yards, otherwise I have plenty of time to put one in.

There is no way that I could wear shooting muffs while climbing hills around here - I'm too fat & out of shape for that (too much sweat).

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peltor Tac 6-S earmuffs. Electronic, low profile. You'll be fine with them, I was in afghanistan and I sweat like a pig just looking at sunlight, let alone exertion.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.