MT Elk Regulations Should Change!

Y'all can all come to Texas and hunt, puny deer for everyone 🤣🤣, no appreciable elk, bear or antelope, few mule deer and a bunch of thnderchickens.

If I was going to retire and move to a state without an influx of idiots, I would probably have a hard time settling on a spot. Seems every state with sensible attitudes towards wildlife and freedoms is being overran by those running from the states they screwed up.

No need to get hostile, it's not like the like minded hunting OOSs ruined your hunting and game laws, that falls on the backs of the officials and those who elected them.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but you cannot blame someone who simply takes advantage of the opportunity your state offers them. That is ridiculous.

I've hunted in 6 different states over the years. I see as many dumby in both sides of the fence. I don't tear up the roads nor leave trash behind. If I am camping some place. I generally cleanup after somebody elses mess, and haul it out, if I can't burn it to start with. I am glad I am allowed to hunting other states if I so want too. Being the age I am getting to I am just about road hunting most of the time. So Be It! That life.

I have a question. If all of the people on here from Montana don't want NRs coming and hunting in their state, why do you put in for non resident tags in other states? Isn't that a bit hypocritical? Don't you think those people are mad at that and you should do what you are telling non residents hunting in Montana to do?

I don't care either way. I don't hunt in Montana anyways. I just thought it was funny after reading all of this.

Come hunt in New Mexico and enjoy the 5 day rifle hunt lol.
I don't hunt other states nor do I want to.

If I was hunting in Montana as a non-resident, I'd take a 8 day rifle hunt. That would be an upgrade to the 5 day hunts in New Mexico as a resident haha
It may take you 8 days to find one on public land in Montana. I think we are bound to see shorter seasons here. The crowding and competition has become fierce while access has gotten worse.

I find this initial post of "hunter overcrowding" interesting considering I was on National Forest ground in Montana this year for a week and did not see another single person with boots on the ground, only a couple of road hunters. Maybe I am just lucky. I did see wolf tracks every single day and everywhere I saw an elk track. That is certainly a problem.

As a dreaded non-resident hunter, the longest time I've ever spent on a western hunting trip is 10 days. I wish I lived out among the elk so that I could figure out the puzzle, that's so much of the fun! Man I would kill to be able to hunt a whole season out west (meaning for all species - jack-rabbits to moose), what a paradise!

Also, us non-residents are already severely disadvantaged by low draw high license, travel, guide/trespass fees, and very low draw odds in the better areas. I'm with a lot of you on this post, get out of your truck and hunt harder! That will fill your freezer and your soul.

Its interesting how so many look down their noses at retirees here. You will all be there soon enough if you live! But US retirees put in our years of work....it's your turn, quit whining about some of us having more leisure time to hunt!
I agree with this. I can't wait to retire and invade all the western states. I watched this crap happen to my home state of Illinois when all the OOS hunters had to hunt "trophy" Pike County whitetails in the late 90's. What a show that was! 12,000 people from OOS in one county every year for years destroyed the genetics. All Illinois did was raise the cost of tags, which did nothing to slow it down. Land prices sky-rocketed, permission became almost impossible due to outfitters. So I don't care about the whiners and criers…..see you all soon!

I agree with this. I can't wait to retire and invade all the western states. I watched this crap happen to my home state of Illinois when all the OOS hunters had to hunt "trophy" Pike County whitetails in the late 90's. What a show that was! 12,000 people from OOS in one county every year for years destroyed the genetics. All Illinois did was raise the cost of tags, which did nothing to slow it down. Land prices sky-rocketed, permission became almost impossible due to outfitters. So I don't care about the whiners and criers…..see you all soon!
Dixie, I fill your pain! I live in Adams county Illinois. Back in those days sometimes I couldn't draw a resident tag and that's how bad it was! Yes the gene pool is still bad! Don't see monster Bucks anymore!!