Mountain merriams

Small one from southern Co area from last year-- mountains around 9000-9500 msl with an otc spring Tom tag--- season starts tomorrow morning-- weather looks to be great-- hope for another one at first light. I love hearing the gobbles pre-dawn in return to the owl hoots.View attachment 356552
Any turkey is a good turkey if you call them in........

Shot one years ago, that was banded. Called in about the band, and was told about the bird. Spoke to the guy that transplanted it, too.
Here in California (yeah, I know...) The Rio Grandes were transplanted decades ago, and took off! Now they're everywhere, including the major valley floor fields.
The guy told me that the trouble with the Rio Grandes was that they stayed pretty well below all of the National Forest and public lands, on private ground, providing virtually no public hunting access.
So they planted Miriams at 4000' elevation, knowing that they will move up and down to almost 7000' in some cases.
Who'd have thought that California cared about that.
Anyway, I managed to get that bird within 6 months of being planted, but it had moved up in elevation, which pleased him.
Bird had been eating acorns and watercress. Tasted great!

Shot one years ago, that was banded. Called in about the band, and was told about the bird. Spoke to the guy that transplanted it, too.
Here in California (yeah, I know...) The Rio Grandes were transplanted decades ago, and took off! Now they're everywhere, including the major valley floor fields.
The guy told me that the trouble with the Rio Grandes was that they stayed pretty well below all of the National Forest and public lands, on private ground, providing virtually no public hunting access.
So they planted Miriams at 4000' elevation, knowing that they will move up and down to almost 7000' in some cases.
Anyway, I managed to get that bird within 6 months of being planted, but it had moved up in elevation, which pleased him.
An all too rare case of our tax dollars well spent. Glad you got to hunt - and eat - it!

Not a Merriams, but a white phase Rio in Utah.

Attachments

• C193B264-7302-4125-AB60-6D8EA888AF87.jpeg
    C193B264-7302-4125-AB60-6D8EA888AF87.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 103
I can tell you stories about Ca. Turkeys. All established on private land. The cross breed rio grands are big and aggressive. Kick a coyotes ***. San Diego Co. has a lot of them. On private land ...

An all too rare case of our tax dollars well spent. Glad you got to hunt - and eat - it!
That's awesome ! I saw very few on public land in San Diego Co.. lots on private . I've seen Merriam's in San Bernardino Nat. Forest. I used to live down the road from Big Bear.