Montana Wolf hunters!

Weyerhauser has sold alot of land since they purchased it from Plum Creek. I'm working on a house that the owners bought 500 acres from Weyerhauser. There 250 acre piece on the same road I live they sold 2 years ago.

The timber companies in wa. & or. Some let you walk in horse or bicycle and some just flat *** charge a fee . Keeping people out of the public land but hauling their logs on the roads on the public property

I have noticed that in the area I hunt the deer and even the elk want to be around people. The feed in the hills is good it's not over grazed by any means. Just seems that when you get around mines or ranchers places the deer and elk want to hang around. The only thing I can come up with is protection they feel safer there. Just my opinion on what I have seen.

I lost one of my favorite bow spots for elk.The owner wanted big money and he had forest service basically land locked.Unless you where in for a 12 mile hike from the back.

I get being upset about access, but when the government owns up to 80% of the land in some states, that's your landlord.

The Govt may be the landlord, but in many places the ranchers are closing trails that have traditionally been used for access.
With no legal easement, some of the ranchers keep large tracts of public land to themselves.
Personally, I'd like to see those trails kept open but I'd probably feel different if it was my land that they ran across.

Just hope your F&G is smarter than Idaho's....
Certain areas are off limits to hunting wolves.....especially the calving areas....DUH....
You're spot on 26Reload as ID F&G's wolf management program is a mess. Plus, ID F&G "Conservation" Officers are eager to cite hunters for misdemeanors on minor things!

I thought Idaho was doing ok? Where are they failing?
Montana FWP seems to think we need MORE wolves.
ID F&G is failing: 1. In eastern Idaho as Portneuf valley ranchers are given no limit shoot on sight permits and $100,000 losses. 2. SW Idaho as areas that I've hunted since 1980 are elk and deer barren. 3.Central Idaho where archery season and rifle elk seasons were both cut in half. 4. North Idaho - I've some about its herd losses, but I do know that N. Idaho has had multi-wolf tags longer than I have, PS Don't follow ID F&G propaganda, listen to the lono time residents.

Info on Montana FWP wanting more wolves? 406muley

I don't know if they've officially announced it, but it sounds like they are cutting the quotas near Yellowstone.
When they were shutting the season down when 2 wolves were taken, there is no way they were keeping up with the annual pup production but now they want to shut it as soon as one single wolf is shot?! How many wolf pups are born each year in those areas?
My guess is that since the wolf population is down in the Park, they want to bolster that but we all know that's not how it works. Wolf populations are down in the Park because of the natural predator/prey cycles, but we can't let facts muddy the water.
I get it that wolves supposedly bring in tourists, but trying to artificially bolster wolf numbers IN the Park by reducing the kill OUTSIDE the Park is just plain wrong. That extra wolf is just as likely to stay out of the Park than it is to become someones camera fodder.

There's a balancing act in play with those wolves near the park. There's probably more people that travel there to view them than there is people who hunt them. Kill too many and the outrage goes up. 406muley

There's a balancing act in play with those wolves near the park. There's probably more people that travel there to view them than there is people who hunt them. Kill too many and the outrage goes up. 406muley
So what, let the tourist outrage go up.
Our F@G, comissioners, politicians need to grow a set

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.