Minnesota spring crappies

dogz

How's it been going boys and girls anyone been out hitting the crappies?

I'm heading to the lakes country next Friday and will spend 4 or 5 days flogging the water with my 3 and 5 weights

How's it been going boys and girls anyone been out hitting the crappies?

I'm heading to the lakes country next Friday and will spend 4 or 5 days flogging the water with my 3 and 5 weights
Do you only use the fly rods? Or do you use spinners as well?
8 to 12' ultra lite rods are commonly used for them down here but most have small spinning reels attached which are essentially just line storage devices as very little casting is done with the longer rods.
Crappies are considered to be in the panfish family, so its also fairly common for people in the south to use an ultra lite telescopic rod in the 10 to 12' length as well, with about a rod length of line attached.
Ive often wondered why they wouldnt work well for a small mountain stream trout fisherman as well.
B n M poles has a large selection of long ultra lites including a variety of telescopics. The Bream Buster is very popular
among the pan fishermen.
Lots of good Youtube videos of people like Whitey Outlaw using them for Crappies, Shellcrackers, and large Blugills.

Pretty much all fly fishing, spinning is just too easy...............:)

Check out Tankara fishing when you get a chance

Pretty much all fly fishing, spinning is just too easy...............:)

Check out Tankara fishing when you get a chance
I did check out a few of those videos, very nice, id never heard of those rods, im sure they would be far more pricey than the B n M Bream Buster.
When i initially set mine up i use about a 6" length of 6# test mono with a very small snap swivel tied on one end.
I run the opposite end thru the small tip guide leaving only about 1 1/2" hanging below the tip.
Then dry wrap down the tip section 3" or so and secure with a small pc of electrical tape.
It makes it easy for line changes and adds an element of strength to the very small tip section.
B n M does offer reasonably priced tip sections however.
Why wouldnt it be a good idea to place a very small float above the fly for floating it down those streams?

Recent Posts