Minimizing devices in the field

If you would care to read, there are suggestions in my post on other ways to figure out your drops quickly out to most normal hunting ranges.
Maybe a photo would help?

I typed this up prior to leaving for my hunt. I knew within 500' +/- the elevation, I would hunt, and within 30* F. I took an average, worked it up on Shooter and then JBM Ballistics to compare. Printed it up, taped it on the scope, and went.

When the time came to make my shot, I already had Shooter up and running on my phone throughout the day. I would change some inputs as temps and baro pressure changed. When my bull stood up out of his bed I ranged him at 662 yards, I rechecked my inputs and got a shooting solution. 2.9MILs w. 69.5" drop. My card puts that about exactly them same.

One way to lessen your gear taken into the field and give a quick shooting solution.

Last edited:
If you would care to read, there are suggestions in my post on other ways to figure out your drops quickly out to most normal hunting ranges.
Maybe a photo would help?

I typed this up prior to leaving for my hunt. I knew within 500' +/- the elevation, I would hunt, and within 30* F. I took an average, worked it up on Shooter and then JBM Ballistics to compare. Printed it up, taped it on the scope, and went.

When the time came to make my shot, I already had Shooter up and running on my phone throughout the day. I would change some inputs as temps and baro pressure changed. When my bull stood up out of his bed I ranged him at 662 yards, I rechecked my inputs and got a shooting solution. 2.9MILs w. 69.5" drop. My card puts that about exactly them same.

One way to lessen your gear taken into the field and give a quick shooting solution.
I keep a laminated drop card in the ammo pouch/cheek rest on all of my rifles. They never fail due to dead batteries.

If you use the Hornady Ballistics Calculator you can print off one of their "cheat sheets", stick it on a 5x7 card, or small piece of cardboard for stiffness, trim it down to fit and just use wide clear tape to laminate it. I've had several last for quite a few years even with exposure to all sorts of weather extremes and lots of water.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.