Minimizing devices in the field

seidersjoden

I have a kestral with Horus ballistics. I have a Leica 1600 B rangefinder as well. Between those two things I've done pretty well however there has to be something more simple than carrying all these objects with me and faster for generating a range card. I'm between getting a rangefinder and bino combination in one unit but then I would need a kestrel for BDC; or do I just get binoculars without a rangefinder and get something like the Sig kilo or gunwerks rangefinder for BDC. Basically I either carry binos by themselves with a rangefinder that does BDC or I carry a Bino that does rangefinding and then I carry a kestrel that does BDC? I guess the question is for long-range shooting, hunting, and also something to where I can compete in the PRS, does the sig kilo do as good as a job as the kestrel when it comes to BDC. I'm hesitant because I find it hard to believe that you can collect the atmospherics as well as a kestrel, am I wrong?

You are not alone my friend... I use the Gunwerks G7-Br2 as my range finder\ firing solution but you still need a wind meter if its blowing. Generally I just judge the wind by the mirage and the G7 does the rest.

You are not alone my friend... I use the Gunwerks G7-Br2 as my range finder\ firing solution but you still need a wind meter if its blowing. Generally I just judge the wind by the mirage and the G7 does the rest.

Are the gunwerks ballistic solutions you getting seem to be spot on at 1000+ yards? I've watched plenty of videos on the gunwerks rangefinder and correct me if I'm wrong but the only thing it doesn't do is wind obviously, it does all other environments correct?

Anyone have any experience with the new sig kilo?

Has anyone had a rangefinder with a ballistic solution like the gunwerks/Kilo that they felt they still needed the kestrel to correct for environment?

Anyone who has questions regarding the Sig Sauer Kilo 2400ABS just needs to cuddle up to the search bar and search for the same. Andy Backus did a splendid video that's brief, concise, and professionally done. That too can be found here: http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...c-rangefinder-andy-backus-188094/#post1319432.

The 2400, as it's called frequently, also has an anemometer plug-in for your cell phone. With the built-in Bluetooth that's utilized by the free app, your 'phone talking back and forth with your 2400. I have a Kestrel 5700 with LITE, ABS, etc. I also have three cell phones and two Androids. Yes, when this cyber world penetrated my skull I went nutzoid... My 2400 works on all of them. There's no cell service for 96 miles, but what these gadgets can do to make life easier!

To sum up. I'd just get a 2400, learn how to use it and see if you need anything else and go from there.

I have both the G7/Gen2 and the Sig 2400 RF's. I have used the G7(Gen1&2) extensively for hunting as I have only had the Sig 2400 about 7 months. I have used both rangefinders for PRS. While most of my shooting is at under 1000 yards, I have tested them against the Kestral out to 1350 yards.
My experiences indicate that the atmospheric outputs(and drops) of both RF's are identical, with coreolis and spin drift not included in calculations since the G7 does not have SD and CE capability. For under 1000 yard hunting and PRS this hasn't made a difference. I rarely use the wind calculating feature of either RF. When I do, the G7's wind calculator is faster and easier to access. While both are excellent RF's, each has particular features that play to personal preference. IMO, either RF is faster and more convenient then using the Kestrel/etc for the ranges I generally shoot.

I have both the G7/Gen2 and the Sig 2400 RF's. I have used the G7(Gen1&2) extensively for hunting as I have only had the Sig 2400 about 7 months. I have used both rangefinders for PRS. While most of my shooting is at under 1000 yards, I have tested them against the Kestral out to 1350 yards.
My experiences indicate that the atmospheric outputs(and drops) of both RF's are identical, with coreolis and spin drift not included in calculations since the G7 does not have SD and CE capability. For under 1000 yard hunting and PRS this hasn't made a difference. I rarely use the wind calculating feature of either RF. When I do, the G7's wind calculator is faster and easier to access. While both are excellent RF's, each has particular features that play to personal preference. IMO, either RF is faster and more convenient then using the Kestrel/etc for the ranges I generally shoot.

Coriolis and spindrift are not included in either one of the rangefinders? Not calculating for Coriolis at 1000 yards is over 10 inches of drift off target right?

So for the PRS you don't use the Kestral usually? That gives me hope because I'd really like to buy a good range finder and not have to deal with the kestrel as well!

Thanks
Joden

Anyone who has questions regarding the Sig Sauer Kilo 2400ABS just needs to cuddle up to the search bar and search for the same. Andy Backus did a splendid video that's brief, concise, and professionally done. That too can be found here: http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...c-rangefinder-andy-backus-188094/#post1319432.

The 2400, as it's called frequently, also has an anemometer plug-in for your cell phone. With the built-in Bluetooth that's utilized by the free app, your 'phone talking back and forth with your 2400. I have a Kestrel 5700 with LITE, ABS, etc. I also have three cell phones and two Androids. Yes, when this cyber world penetrated my skull I went nutzoid... My 2400 works on all of them. There's no cell service for 96 miles, but what these gadgets can do to make life easier!

To sum up. I'd just get a 2400, learn how to use it and see if you need anything else and go from there.

That video's informative but I'm looking for real work feedback expereience utilizing this equipment. As most of us are aware of the gunwerks rangefinder is has been out for a while and it has proven to be successful in a lot of conditions, I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, does the kilo stand up to the gunwerks based off experience and would either one of those be able to replace a kestrel. Thanks for the info.

Coriolis and spindrift are not included in either one of the rangefinders? Not calculating for Coriolis at 1000 yards is over 10 inches of drift off target right?

So for the PRS you don't use the Kestral usually? That gives me hope because I'd really like to buy a good range finder and not have to deal with the kestrel as well!

Thanks
Joden

No, Coreolis at 1000 at maximum E/W directions for the latitudes I hunt(40 or so), has less then a couple of inches at 1000 yards. sin drift is s simple .5MOA left correction if shooting past 700 yards. I only use the Kestra either hunting or for PRS if I need to check wind speed. Either the G7 or Sig 2400 is perfect for PRS! IMO

No, Coreolis at 1000 at maximum E/W directions for the latitudes I hunt(40 or so), has less then a couple of inches at 1000 yards. sin drift is s simple .5MOA left correction if shooting past 700 yards. I only use the Kestra either hunting or for PRS if I need to check wind speed. Either the G7 or Sig 2400 is perfect for PRS! IMO

That's good to hear! So is it safe to say that for wind you can either judge mirage and/or use a cheaper wind meter like Caldwell rather than spending the $ on kestrel?

And last question about these RF capabilities, the kilo has Applied ballistics built in, doesn't that correct for coreolis and spin drift?

Thank
Joden

That's good to hear! So is it safe to say that for wind you can either judge mirage and/or use a cheaper wind meter like Caldwell rather than spending the $ on kestrel?

And last question about these RF capabilities, the kilo has Applied ballistics built in, doesn't that correct for coreolis and spin drift?

Thank
Joden

Yes, you can get away the standard wind meter and use the RF's capabilities for wind dopes. And, yes the Sig 2400 uses AB software and handles SD and CE.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.