Mid-level tripod?

Not sure which version of the death-grip you have. I've been using one for about 2 months now. The one I have is already arca compatible. the saddle part comes off and there is an arca compatible portion.

It also has 1/4 turn locking on the legs.

So far, I like it pretty well and it wasn't insanely expensive. It isn't exactly lightweight either though.
You have the Deathgrip Infinite, the original Deathgrip is saddle only.

Exactly this. I run one of these side by side to my Two Vets Tripod and RRS Anvil 30. It's super comparable and 40% of the price. I suggested this one to HuntnPack and it sounds like he really likes it.

Don't be afraid make an offer to this seller much lower than his asking.
How much is much lower? Are we talking 25% of asking? 50%? I'm about to pull the trigger on this one because it is checking all my.boxes!!

Maybe budget is better than "mid level". A manfortto is mid level compared to RRS.

I have several Manfrottos and an Innorel. I hate the Innorel head but otherwise it is good. If I was going to do it all over I would have jumped straight to RRS instead of Manfrottos, there are not enough differences to justify changing but there are features on the RRS I like a lot better and they do seem to handle rifles better.

How much is much lower? Are we talking 25% of asking? 50%? I'm about to pull the trigger on this one because it is checking all my.boxes!!
As @coueskiller43 said, he recommended it to me & it is definitely a nice piece of equipment.
Especially if you can score a discount.
Im going to modify mine to make it more useful for my backcountry use. I'm going to machine some leg caps that'll accept the feet.
I removed the two lower leg sections & tried it out to see what kind of height & stability it would provide. I think it'll work nicely for kneeling, sitting, & prone positions. Just using the two larger diameter upper legs reduces the weight making it lighter, faster to deploy, & quite stable. Plus i still have the option to add the legs back in if a hunt requires.

As @coueskiller43 said, he recommended it to me & it is definitely a nice piece of equipment.
Especially if you can score a discount.
Im going to modify mine to make it more useful for my backcountry use. I'm going to machine some leg caps that'll accept the feet.
I removed the two lower leg sections & tried it out to see what kind of height & stability it would provide. I think it'll work nicely for kneeling, sitting, & prone positions. Just using the two larger diameter upper legs reduces the weight making it lighter, faster to deploy, & quite stable. Plus i still have the option to add the legs back in if a hunt requires.
If you happen to figure something out let me know if you would. I use my PIG mainly sitting or kneeling. I've been looking for something lighter that isn't RRS price and this looks perfect. Being able to drop the thinnest section to save a little weight would be great. I also love the look of that ball head. I've always wanted to try the anvil30, I just can't justify dropping the funds on it.

When I compare the RRS tripods to the Spartan Ascent Tripod it is really difficulty to see why you'r choose RRS for a hunting tripod that is actually carried on your back into the field. Functionality is comparable (Spartan's is better), the Ascent head is better, weight about the same. The Ascent magnet based mounting system is really nice. RRS is hundreds more. I must be missing something.

For a little heavier/ taller tripod that would mainly be used from the truck or buggy here's another option:

This one has the longer 36mm main tube vs the previous 32mm main tube. Also note this head is the heavier MA-40 model and is without a quick lever. It has a screw knob.

Last edited:
If you are looking for a Tripod with ball head, Arca rail, I would consider the Bog Pod Deathgrip Infinite, you can get the aluminum version in Green color for 299.95 or the Carbon fiber version for 399.95. That is a great price for a Tripod with Ball head and Arca plate, in my opinion. Looking at some of these out there that are running 499.00 and up is a little expensive in my mind, but I am not going to discourage anyone paying for whatever you truly want. Just thought I would throw another option out there for others to see.

OP go with the SA-324C with the MA-30L ballhead. If you ever find yourself wanting a slightly nicer ballhead, the taper and hole pattern is the same as the RRS Anvil30. You just have to open up the 4 holes in the bottom ever so slightly to get the non-metric screws to snug down the Anvil.