max load for 6.5-284 norma

I have been waiting for a keg of returning to show up to try it. I have a lot of h1000 on hand and thought it might do well in the 6.5-284. I only have about 25 shots down the barrel and can work higher on the charge weight. I would be happy with 2950-3000. So far the accuracy is great and es using new lapua brass has been around 15.

I am using H1000 in my 243 and I found it to have a lower es than the retumbo. I have not tested h1000 in the 6.5 yet but I want to. Perhaps in a couple weeks I will conduct a ladder test with both and see how it goes.

H-100 gave very low es in my 338 normas, if I can work up a little more velocity in the 6.5 all will be good. I do not have a long range close by so I am just working up loads at 200 and gathering speed data. Please post your ladder test results when you are finished.

I made it out for a bit today and tested the 243 and 6.5-284. Due time and issues with really bad mirage and gusty wind I just shot 1 target. The wind was weird today and it cycled constantly so there I a bit of horizontal that shows up more on some than others. Because of time and not being able to see holes due to mirage I had to run back and forth a lot. It was easier to shoot 4 tests on 1 target but it is busy. To keep the confusion down I traced the shots on to clean paper and relabeled each page. Hope it all makes sense and the traced sheets are easy to understand.

The test was done at 400 yards. Speed via magnetospeed chrono.
6.5-284 has 28.5" barrel.
H1000 and retumbo were tested with federal magnum primers. 215m.
55.5 gr. H1000 was seeing pressure signs.
57 and up retumbo I get pressure signs as well.
Lapau brass. neck turned. .001 tension

I am including 243 data too because it seems to show similar patterns. H1000 seems to be more stable and produces less deviation in vertical spread. It also produces less speed. I tend to think h1000 is a bit easier to tune.

Attachments

• 6.5 Ret.jpg
    6.5 Ret.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 6.5 h1000.jpg
    6.5 h1000.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 133
  • unnamed4.jpg
    unnamed4.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 125
  • unnamed5.jpg
    unnamed5.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 119
I would definitely check the seating depth of the bergers.

I run out of my 6.5x284 savage lrh

Cci Br2
Nosler brass
140g Amax
58.5g of Retumbo
OAL 2.980

This load for me is pushing 3022 fps with half MOA results at 300 hundred yards. I originally used the 140 bergers when I bought this gun they shot fantastic with IMR 4831 but when I moved to Retumbo the Amaxs outshot them ouite a bit and I was able to push that 3000 mark so it was a no brainer for me to switch to Amaxs especially with the price point difference between them the costs did not seem to warrant keeping the bergers with the results I was getting best of luck with your rifle hope it turns out well.

With magnum primers you gain about 30-50 FPS. Generally if I get pressure with standard primers I have to reduce by .5 grains for magnum.

At any rate I tend to get pressure at much lower powder volume then other folks on here. I will experience stiff bolt lift, flat primers with craters, and ejector marks. I back off until I don't see that ejector mark and then reduce more if I need to in order get no bolt lift issues.

This is the reason I am currently running 56.5 grains retumbo with 210M primers and lapau brass. 3050fps on average and .3MOA 5 shot groups. It is OK and I tend to be happy with .5 or less.

I was using 57.5 GR of Retumbo Fed 215M,and I was at .5 MOA at 200, and never ran through Chrono but I switched powders due to the powder still burning in the barrel after I would shoot a round . I also noticed the fouling from Retumbo was very bad I have never had such a dirty barrel that was so hard to clean . I am now running H 4831sc 51 GR for 2845 .5 MOA at 200 very low ES, and once I get a chance I will start to bump up charge . I also was getting flat primers with the Retumbo at 57.5

I found similar issues until I backed off the charge. At 56.5 on a 24" barrel I was hitting 2900-2920. Carbon fouling was much less than at the 57.5 I had been shooting and getting 2970 FPS. At the higher charge weight I noticed a lot of smoke in the air.

With the 28.5" barrel at 56.5 there is much less carbon and no smoke. Carbon is especially noticeable on the muzzle with retumbo but the longer barrel shows very very little. I think the slower powders like a long barrel to do the job right. I use boretech cleaner and cleaning this barrel is ridiculously easy. I tend to clean at 150-200 rounds.

H1000 does seem to be a bit cleaner. 4831, h1000, retumbo all seem to be good in their own way with the 6.5-284. All good for us hunters who need a temp stable powder that changes very little. I have shot retumbo from 90 down to -10 and the rifle always does the job just fine.

Primer choice has made a difference with my loads using Retumbo. I get identicle accuracy,velocity and ES using either 58gr with a 210 or 57gr with a 215 primer. Slighly more fouling is present with the 58 gr load so I use the 57gr load. I don't care mcuh about the fouling given I can put over 100 rounds between cleanings with either rifle or load and experience no change in performance. I get 3010FPS/ES<10FPS with either my 26' Cooper or my 24" Savage. The only difference between the two rifles is the free bore whick results in a difference COAL tto the ogive, Lots of Retumbo can vary. My former lot produced 2970FPS with these loads. it pays to buy a sufficient quantity of a given lot. But even with this variation I still have found Retumbo to give the balance of accuracy/velocity/and temp stability. I use Berger 140 VLD's or 142 JLK's which give equal accuracy and terminal performance on game. The JLK has a higher BC of .321 compared to .313 for the Berger. I get no pressure signs and good accuracy seating all loads at .075" off the lands.

I tend to agree with greyfox on the primer. I went back through my ladder test data and want to see if I can find a solid performer at + - 57 grs retumbo with 215M primer. 57.5 grains showed ejector marks. This combo showed to be sitting close to 3100 with a vertical spread at 400 yards around .75 / .2 MOA.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.