Low count pull off barrels

As stated, Pull offs are great as "jack handles" and are nice addition under truck seat.
I have kept an old rifle barrel under the seat of my truck for years. It comes in handy for clubbing porcupines when deer hunting. A rifle shot will scare off the deer, so they get clubbed. It's smaller and more compact than the traditional Irish shillelagh.

I have kept an old rifle barrel under the seat of my truck for years. It comes in handy for clubbing porcupines when deer hunting. A rifle shot will scare off the deer, so they get clubbed. It's smaller and more compact than the traditional Irish shillelagh.
Ol'Red you Genteman from the old Shier are a Hoot!

I'm going to take that as a compliment, that I hope it was.
Absolutely Sir!!!!!
You are a King among Princes!
We only give out compliments and good praises here.
Those Porcupines can't run fast but can swish those tails from left to right with the quills, you don't want to get in the way.
I will never forget when I was around 14 a friend and I were coming back from checking our trapline at the beaver Dams. It was after dark and about 6" of fresh snow on the ground. We ran into a huge porcupine. I wanted to get home being cold, dark a snowstorm hitting, but he wanted that pine. All we had was his large Puma sheath knife. My friend kept throwing that knife at the pine and it never stuck him, only bounced off and then in the snow. He would try find the knife and yelled at me to keep track to where the pine was going. Quills all over the snow and i finally said lets go home. My one and only up close with a pine!

Last year we lost one calf and almost lost another to porkys. The calf is curious and gets his nose and mouth full of quills. Then he can't nurse. I would have like to seen your friend trying to throw the knife at the porky. Those quills are pretty protective. My apologies to the OP for side tracking the thread.

Last year we lost one calf and almost lost another to porkys. The calf is curious and gets his nose and mouth full of quills. Then he can't nurse. I would have like to seen your friend trying to throw the knife at the porky. Those quills are pretty protective. My apologies to the OP for side tracking the thread.
No apologies needed.👍
Several years ago I was hunting at the farm and found a baby porcupine in the top of a sapling.
I usually always have a backpack with me and a small pack rolled up inside it.
I took the little pack out and opened it up then shook the crap out of the sapling until it fell off.
I used a stick to make it back up into the pack 😁 and took it to the house.

$50 to $75 is the low end with perhaps $125-$150 for the high end for a takeoff barrel if the round count is low.

I have purchased many takeoffs over the decades.

I have a lathe and a dozen reamers with lots of tooling. I do all the work myself. I can try a chambering for very little outlay. Most of those takeoffs, if they have a low round count, shoot quite well.

I have purchased takeoffs in Remington, Winchester, Ruger and most recently a Tikka.

While I have placed a Rem takeoff into another Rem ending up with proper headspace, I usually use the takeoff by rechambering it with a larger reamer which removes the original chamber.

As for receiver threads it depends, I'll use it or make my own. I typically put Rem takeoffs on a Rem receiver. A push feed Post 64 Win or a Ruger M77 are easy to thread as there is no extractor cut and if a Rem takeoff is used the threads for these two are smaller so most of the rem shank can be used to maintain the length.

A few examples: 243 to 6mm-284, 300 Win to 300 RUM, 7-08 in 284 Win and 338 Win mag to 338 RUM. That Tikka was a 25-06 which is now a 257 Weatherby.

I have also cut off a portion of a 308 chamber and barrel shank to make a 30 BR. Same for a shortening a 243 to make a 6 BR

There is a market for lighty used takeoff barrels.