Longest Big Game Kill With Rifle

In the last 12 months, what was your longest rifle kill on big game?

• 0 to 200 yards

Votes: 1,160 26.4%
  • 201 to 400 yards

Votes: 1,438 32.7%
  • 401 to 600 yards

Votes: 1,020 23.2%
  • 601 to 800 yards

Votes: 460 10.5%
  • 801 to 1,000 yards

Votes: 168 3.8%
  • Over 1,000 yards

Votes: 153 3.5%

• Total voters
I find it interesting that no one has mentioned the trillions of deer lost or wounded when shot at by unethical hunters from 0- 300 yards. Ethics are what YOU make for YOURSELF.

Keep your ethical/nonethical comments to yourself EVERYONE. There are enough round heads trying to push their agenda's on us. If you have a problem talk to HR at your work I'm sure they could help.

I find it interesting that anyone would want to dismiss ethics when discussing hunting. And still no one has posted how many deer or elk have been wounded and lost when shot at over a thousand yards.

I find it interesting that no one has mentioned the trillions of deer lost or wounded when shot at by unethical hunters from 0- 300 yards. Ethics are what YOU make for YOURSELF.

Really? So if I think it is ethical to party hunt then that makes it okay? And if I think it is ethical to shoot a deer 30 minutes before opening day that is okay too? And if I think it is ethical to trespass on a farmer's land to retrieve a shot elk without first contacting the owner that that is also okay? If YOU decide for YOURSELF what is ethical then why have any laws in the first place?

Enough you two. Ethic is an unacceptable conversation on this forum. Take your argument to personal messaging or emails. NOT this forum.

562 yards on Montana mule deer with 300 wsm and 180 accubond (65.5 grains of RL-17). It was 18 below zero and prone off a bipod in a foot of snow. Had two out-of-state witnesses that were blown away with the one-shot-kill.

514yds, 7mm rem mag, 62.5gr RL22, CCI250, Nosler case, 162 SST, Millet tactical 4x16x52 1/8min clicks. One shot through the heart he felt a bit sick after that so he just layed down :cool:

I would probably be in the running for the record of the shortest kill on a deer, he was no more than 25 yards, I could go back & measure it, just for the record. It was getting dark and I was sitting with my back against a tree stump on the side of a track when he dropped down from higher ground onto the track right behind me, no more than 3 or 4 yards from me. I heard him and stayed perfectly still, he saw me but wasn't sure how to react as I didn't move. He walked down the track for a few yards and glanced back, I didn't move but watched him from the corner of my eye. He got a little nervous and broke into a light gentle trot along the track, I switched on the red dot, flicked off the safety, raised the rifle and watched him for a few paces. There was a bend in the track about 30 yards away and I reckoned he would stop there but he stopped short and turned broadside to have a better look at me. Next friday I'll be collecting venison joints, cutlets, mince, burgers and bones for my dog from the butcher.

Bull elk, 1,230 yds...7mm Rem. Mag...69 Gr. H4831...160gr. Nosler Partition, 3128 fps. Bullet just cracked open , never really mushroomed and was against hide on far side of animal. Won't take a shot like that at game again, just not enough umpf to open bullet up!

how dose the 300 win mag go at 600+ ON big game lik elk

I honestly wouldn't know that one. There are a lot of elk out here on the ranch but we mostly shoot those with a bow. I'm willing to bet its does a well enough with a 220 grain bullet.

I haven't shot any big game. I'm strictly a varmint shooter since I usually hunt alone and am not set up for having to pack out large animals. Besides, it's a lot of work.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts