Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

• YES

Votes: 1,117 51.8%
  • NO

Votes: 1,041 48.2%

• Total voters
i definatly prefer a detachable mag for "normal" hunting but i dont think it is as necisary for LR work but thats just MO
I agree with this train of thought. I like the detachable myself but when I go on big game hunts I prefer a normal magazine. I've also seen guys come all the way out west on a hunt and realize they left their magazine at home.

HS Precision Detachable Magazine is what I have used on my rifles for several years now , really like them work great !

I really liked the browning a-bolt ii concept. Great for unloading and carrying more/ different rounds if desired, but quiet and compact for back country carry. I just wish they had longer COAL. I have actually modified several of my 300WSM mags to get another .060-.080 max COAL which puts me in the sweet spot for 190-200 gr. I generally favor a DM, but if there is the slightest chance of rattle or snag for the type of hunting I'm doing they are a no go.

I do like detachable magazines on my lever guns it allows you to use pointed bullets with better ballistic coefficient.
All hail the BLR! It's the first rifle my dad bought me and I've spent 35 years trying to find something more practical to no avail... if only they could bring the trigger into this century.

All hail the BLR! It's the first rifle my dad bought me and I've spent 35 years trying to find something more practical to no avail... if only they could bring the trigger into this century.
The triggers can be smoothed out to tolerable levels for hunting purposes by a good smith. I've been looking for another one in in 358 win and a takedown for several years for somewhat of a reasonable price with no luck.

I do a lot of solo hunting in remote wilderness areas, my preference is a floor plate or even a blind mag over a detachable mag system.

I've never lost a floor plate or blind mag yet.

I knew a friend of mine the lost his mag and had a second shot. rifle didn't fire. If using a mag you can have a fast reload and also use different loads readily available. Say hunting for Deer in Bear country. One mag with your perfect Deer loads and the other mag loaded for Bear.
You also have to look at the mag itself and how it connects so the mag doesn't just drop out from a BUMP.
We have had several Rem 700 Mountain DM rifles in .246 & 7mm-08.
Never had a mag come loose. the mag is designed with two "Clips" on either side.
We have an extra one still in the factory package that we should sell. We have (4) for the same rifle so will sell the new one soon. It will fit a Rem 700 DM for any of the .308 cartridges.

Thanks
Len and Jill

I like a detachable, flush fitting mag….but I always have one or two spares along in case something goes sideways and I lose one.

Used my Ruger #1 this deer season….so I used this with good success: Beartooth SideCart - Premium Neoprene 2-Round Ammo Carrier - Rifle Model | Made in USA https://a.co/d/2aHh83P