Long range all around western rifle

If you are serious about elk at 1000 yards I don't think the 7mm will have enough left at that range. The big 30's with the 225 grain or heavier would be more like it. Better yet would be 338 or bigger. Check to see what energy you would have left at that range before you make your decision.
Totally agree.... could have not said it better.

I like your caliber selection but I would go with a
X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Long Range
due to the fact that it has a 1/8" twist to stabilize the longer bullets to get the most out of the caliber at long range.

It is a little lighter, has a muzzle brake, and looks like it would shoulder better in prone position due to a higher butt position on the stock.

I like your caliber selection but I would go with a
X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Long Range
due to the fact that it has a 1/8" twist to stabilize the longer bullets to get the most out of the caliber at long range.

It is a little lighter, has a muzzle brake, and looks like it would shoulder better in prone position due to a higher butt position on the stock.
The xbolt max the OP is looking at had an adjustable cheek piece. The only other option is the hells canyon McMillan and it's out of the OP's price range looks like.

I'll chime in on this and add my $.02. I just got done with a custom rifle build for a "do all" gun. I narrowed it down to 3 calibers. 300wm, 7mm Rem Mag, & 28 Nosler for what
I was looking at. I ended up going with a 7mm Rem Mag for a few reasons.

1) ammo availability and price
2) reloading component availability.
3) it's a time-tested and proven cartridge.
4) the 300 WM was just a little more than I wanted to go with for recoil.

I wanted a gun where I could shoot to 1,000 yards if needed for deer, elk and antelope. Now, after eating a few slices of humble pie the last few weeks at trying to accurately hit steel targets at 1,000 yards, I've reconsidered taking an ethical shot on an animal at that distance. Could my rifle do it? Absolutely. The gun shoots better than I can. But lets face it. How often would I have to shoot at 1,000 yards? I've come to realize if I need to take that far of a shot to kill that animal, I'm pretty sure I could change my tactics to get a lot closer than 1,000 yards.

But back to your original question. I think a 7mm RM is a solid choice. If you're going to be shooting at 1,000 + yards to take an animal, I'd go with no less than a 300 win mag. and would most likely get a 338. I guess the old saying of, "it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

I do like your dilemma though. It's always a good problem to have when we try selecting a new gun. Good luck with your choice!

In my elk hunting grounds (7000' AMSL, 30*F), my 7RM pushing a 180 Hybrid @ 2996fps still has enough for elk @ 1000yds for my criteria. 1955fps and 1528ft/lbs remaining on target.

That being said, if 1000 yard shots were the norm for elk, I would up my game too. The 28 Nosler pushing a 195 Berger @ 3100+, or a .300RUM pushing a 230 Berger @ 3100 would be my choice.

In my elk hunting grounds (7000' AMSL, 30*F), my 7RM pushing a 180 Hybrid @ 2996fps still has enough for elk @ 1000yds for my criteria. 1955fps and 1528ft/lbs remaining on target.

That being said, if 1000 yard shots were the norm for elk, I would up my game too. The 28 Nosler pushing a 195 Berger @ 3100+, or a .300RUM pushing a 230 Berger @ 3100 would be my choice.

I think you'll be good with any of them you mentioned. Bullet placement is going to be the deciding factor at any range. I almost went with the 28 nosler but the cost of brass and ammo was ridiculous compared to the 7 RM.

Totally agree.... could have not said it better.
I have a Browning ABOLTIII in 300WM. I limit my shots to 600 yards. I believe the Energy required for Elk is a minimum of 1500 foot pounds of energy. You would need to go to a 338/378 Weatherby Mag or a 338 Lapua. So far the longest shot taken at an Antelope was 488 yards. Mule Deer was at 140 yards. My ABOLT is comfortable to shoot 180 gr Rem factory loads until about 40+ are reached. Then the recoil headache starts. No brake and it shoot at .6" at 100 yards with factory 155gr loads.

Now, after eating a few slices of humble pie the last few weeks at trying to accurately hit steel targets at 1,000 yards, I've reconsidered taking an ethical shot on an animal at that distance. Could my rifle do it? Absolutely. The gun shoots better than I can. But lets face it. How often would I have to shoot at 1,000 yards? I've come to realize if I need to take that far of a shot to kill that animal, I'm pretty sure I could change my tactics to get a lot closer than 1,000 yards.

Glad someone said it. After competing fairly regularly in some NRL/PRS stuff the last few years, my definition of my effective hunting range has DRASTICALLY changed. I have just seen way too many weird things happen at distance and your margin of error is pretty small on an animal. Elk are super tough and even the big .338s can just wound if not placed properly. That being said, probably can't go wrong with a .284 pushing the heavies around 2900-3000, or a .300 winnie or rum. We are blessed with so many different choices now even in factory guns that there are plenty of options to choose from.

Either would do. Think about the bullet you wish to use. Your going to want 1500 ft lbs check the data on factory or reloading data to determine what you need chamber wise. I find he 280 ackley easy to load for and inherently accurate. I avoid any thing with a belted case now days. If factory ammo is required I look at 280 ackley or the 30 prc. The 28 nosler has terrible barrel life . Try to find a 8 twist in 7mm You will be able to shot the heavy mono core . You also need to determine what is the lowest Velocity the manufacturer says will open. If your new to Longrange hunting your going to have to fire more than a box of rounds to set up and learn the skill and rifle. Your going to need top end rangefinder. I just got a dig kilo 3000 and am very impressed

Hey everybody. So I'm looking to buy a rifle that is a good all around long range hunting rifle. Something that can reach out 1000 yards and kill am elk with confidence. But also a gun I would mind taking a pronghorn with. I'm looking to buy one stock, not build. Right now I'm looking at the browning x bolt max long range in 7mm mag. I'm looking to spend around 1100 on rifle, not including scope. I'm just looking for input on what you guys think about the browning and caliber I'm looking at, or what gun and caliber choice youd search. Also I'm thinking about a savage 110 high country in 280 Ackley. Thanks guys

I agree with those that have commented that the 7MM Rem mag is a great cartridge — but not enough for 1,000 yard elk. I got lucky and picked up a lightly used Weatherby Accumark in .338/.378 Weatherby mag with quality scope and ammunition for $1,200.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts