Long distance target shooting

skipglo, I honestly had a senior moment, and could not interpret what I read...but you are 100% right....its a dark, lonely place , that rabbit hole we all go down....and your right about the additional equipment cost, target cameras, spotting scopes, rests, etc, etc, etc.....anyway, may all your bullets go in the same hole ! rsbhunter

Friend of mine does 2000 yrd comp.Set a WR in 2019, 3 target agg.He uses a 338 LAI,this would be a good starting point and see if you like it.But for further,going bigger is better

You need to reload to shoot that far, just thought I'd mention that. Practice with his 308, use 195tmk and shoot it to 1600yards. I shot mine with good success at those ranges in ideal conditions. Like everyone said, the next leg requires specialized equipment

Alot comes into play @ 1200 + yards....make sure your bullet is still sonic at whatever range your shooting.. The transition between sonic and subsonic can wreck havoc on accuracy.... Then comes the kiss of death, wind.....and its having good karma, holding your tongue right......rsbhunter

Easy button is to call George over at Mirage ULR and have him take care of your friend from the ground up, after your friend spends a few grand on training. The training will save him spending on missing. To do this right he's going to need to drop about $25-30k between rifle, scope, LRF, spotting scope and enough ammo to burn up his first barrel. With a .338 Lapua you're looking at a 1000-1400rd barrel life.

Last edited:
With each round running from $3-??? missing gets expensive fast...some of the big time shooters are now lath turning their own cases..... Along with lath turned bullets....just a little on the serious side... rsbhunter

If a person is going to Dream...why not Dream Big! As above RSBHUNTER...if he isn't going to spend 10,000.00 to start the process...he will spend 25,000.00 soon enough replacing what isn't capable of coming close. And he should budget another 400.00 for Kool-aid ! Not saying it can't be done...just saying...a one time hit in 3000 rounds means nothing to this shooter! Oh and he'd better budget another 2500.00 - 5000.00 for a spotting scope capable of seeing any impact at that range and find a spotter that can call accurate corrections!
$$ not a concern for Ron

Maybe start with a BAT action, single shot that will handle a 416 Barrett case,Bartlien Mod400 barrel (or Krieger,hart,Brux) Flavio, Bix & Andy trigger, Stock or chassis, 40 moa rail, Nightforce, S&B, ZCO, Hensoldt scope, for a start...rsbhunter

being able to keep supplied with powder / primers / bullets / brass and time to load all that ammo- forget range time that's the easy part to go BANG - but to hit the plate / paper is another thing.. equipment as some have mentioned - good equipment so one can call the shots to make adjustments is another thing !!! a 1/2 way spotting scope will be $ 2,000.00 - buying powder in 8 lb jugs not 1 lb's, loads that take up 120 plus gr and more, bullets by the thousands not 50 / 100 pks. using 250-300 + gr bullets ???? Getting a 6 MM XC built another toy I have some 15 K put aside. have all the other goodies from F-class and all still adds up . Peterson brass ran me over $$$ for 1500 pcs .w/ shipping. Its like having another Boat!!!!!!

its will be like having another boat. A good spotting scope 1/2 way one at least 2000.00 Brass/ powder/ bullets/ primers not 1 lb tins , but 8 lb jugs, bullets X 1000's at a time.. primers 5000 at a time. brass 500-1000 at a time or more get the same batch. It does add up faster than the tide rolling in. buy good or not at all. Just a bbl could run over 500 + depending on who's.