Load development in a Kimber Hunter

doubledoc

Does anyone have experience loading in this 'short action' format? My .257 Roberts is moa using factory Federal's 120 gr NP loading, but the magazine length will not permit me to load any of the higher BC bullets ( Nos 110ge AB, Hornady ELDX 110gr) anywhere "near" the lands.
Before I waste a lot of time and effort here, I'd appreciate advise from anyone with experience loading a rifle with similar cartridge OAL limitations. I live in the SE and truely 'long range' concern are not present, but basic load development efficiency is! Thanks, this is my first posting.

Assuming deer hunting is your plan for the rifle - you may want to try 100 gr bullets. Either Nosler Ballistic tips or Partitions or Sierra Game Kings. Should shoot flatter & take up less powder space in case. All of these have performed well for me in 25-06. May get them a bit closer to the lands since the shape of the ogive extends further toward the tip of the bullet. Another option is a 115 gr Nosler Ballistic tip. I think in the .257 Roberts the lighter bullets may group better that the heavies due to velocity vs. twist rate of barrel. Good Luck !

You're correct, deer is the primary object. Thanks, I looked at the Sierra GK ogive but haven't tried it yet, primarily because it's BC is fairly low (.35), but that may not matter at the expected ranges (under 350 yds). I ordinarily start .020" off the lands, but without a bullet comparitor should I simply start as close as the magazine length allows?

Without a comparator you can load an empty case with the bullet of choice to max. mag length, then take a felt marker and cover the bullet surface, chamber the dummy round and see if you get land marks on the bullet. If so, keep seating the bullet into the case in small increments - each time recoating the bullet with felt marker. When land marks disappear - the you should be able to set bullet depth for whatever jump you are comfortable with. Takes more time than a comparator & not quite as accurate - but it will work as I used this method for decades. If for some reason the bullet pulls out of case & sticks in lands - just run your cleaning rod down bore to knock it out.

I loosely seated a 100gr NP in a fired case as above and allowed the lands to determine the OAL. The cartridge then was too long to properly feed through the ejection port and far too long for the magazine. Guess I need to remove the bolt, measure the OAL, then when loading to maximum magazine tollerance, I'll know the approximate distance off the lands as my starting point....? Thanks

Sounds reasonable. I have never owned a .257 Roberts but always thought it would be better suited to a long action rather than a short action to get the bullet further out of the case for powder capacity. Still some bullets can still shoot well with significant bullet jump to the lands - just trial & error. I have always had good luck with the Kimber rifles I have owned as far as accuracy - so hopefully you will experience the same.

Thanks. Just back from vacation, so i'm late in replying. I have 3 Kimbers and do love them all> The real Problem with the .257 Hunter is the magazine and ejection port both serve to limit cartridge OAL, not the throat lenght or rifling leade. Therefore, I shall simply seat the bullets as long as possible and experiment with accuracy vs lenght from there. Otherwise, really like the .257 Bob...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.