6.5 PRC Hornady brass wont size correctly. Dent on shoulder. Confused.....

What is likely happening is that as the fired case is being squeezed down (in diameter) by the die, the case is actually getting longer until the shoulder is pushed back down by the die.

I suspect that you aren't adjusting the die down far enough. Another .002-.003" can make a big difference. However, if you already have firm contact between the shell holder and the die, you will need to grind/shorten the top of the shell holder a few thousands so that the die can be lowered slightly. You could, alternatively, shorten the die but why risk damaging the die which is hardened.

The shoulder dent is classic for excess lube. Only put enough lube on the case to prevent sticking. Many shooters do not put any lube on the shoulder itself.

Yes sir. I have actually been thinking about shaving a little off the top of the shell holder and seeing what happens. Im already touching it with the die and then probably another 1/4 turn after that. Now after listening to everyone to find out im using too much lube as well............Ive been reloading since i was 20 yrs old and im 48 now and just figuring this out..........frustrating.

your brass will work out fine. I've used a lot of Hornady brass. Just cut back on your lube to a very light coating on shoulder and body and a little inside of case neck. You may have some inside your die. clean it out well too. just turn die down to holder and then in 1/8 turns size and see if it chambers in your gun. When bolt closes easy lock it down.

Sell all the Hornady brass you have.
Buy 100pcs of Lapua brass.
Enjoy high quality brass. I have 16x firings on 20pcs of Lapua 6.5PRC brass I was testing.

Lube on the case body is fine. But it takes VERY LITTLE on the necks. Clean your dies and watch how much lube you put on the necks.

Two goods points have been made:

1. The Hornady brass will probably work out fine as soon as you get the die adjusted appropriately.

2. Starting with high quality brass makes life easier. Buy 100 rounds of Lapua brass (or similar) and get 10-15 reloads providing that they are loaded and resized properly. 100 rounds could easily last as long as your barrel/throat.

Last edited:

Recent Posts