Load Development for the 284 Win XP-100

Well I bought the handgun with the work already done to it. However it is the original cheap stock(would love to replace it). The barrel and brake is done by Richard king or so it says on the barrel and is 14 in long. It was originally set up with a full barrel length open sight scope for silhouette shooting. This was also custom made by Richard king. The guy was shooting it out to 400yds. I wanted to hunt with it and bench shoot so naturally I put a scope on it. It's a Nikon encore 2.8-8x. Works well but I noticed it to be a pain to find target and keep it on target.

Center-grip XP-100? Original Zytel stock?
What is it chambered in?
Can you post a picture of the brake?
How does the recoil feel to you?
I have a good friend who is making center-grip XP-100 stocks at a reasonable price. He is in the process of moving right now though.

Well I bought the handgun with the work already done to it. However it is the original cheap stock(would love to replace it). The barrel and brake is done by Richard king or so it says on the barrel and is 14 in long. It was originally set up with a full barrel length open sight scope for silhouette shooting. This was also custom made by Richard king. The guy was shooting it out to 400yds. I wanted to hunt with it and bench shoot so naturally I put a scope on it. It's a Nikon encore 2.8-8x. Works well but I noticed it to be a pain to find target and keep it on target.

Recoil isn't bad the muzzle brake isn't that impressive. Is is 5 small holes on top of the the barrel. I assume the is to help the gun stay down. It is a light weight barrel in my opinion. It is a 308 win mag and I'm shooting a mild load of 150 gr Barnes TSX right now. Will probably work up a load with something I can afford to do more shooting with. When I say it is the original stock I mean the cheap light weight brown plastic one. I really would love to get this thing completely redone but have several things I can't decide online wether or not keep it center grip or go rear grip. I think I might like it better rear. Other deal is I have a few good smiths around here but don't know if they work on these. Anyway for now I have been wandering about changing to rifle scope but for out of a blind hunting didn't know if I'd end up hitting my face.

here are a pic of the ports on the barrel and the handgun itself. The 2 Spots going with the barrel are actually the threaded spots for the previous sight system. I know I have been calling it a brake but I am pretty sure it is actually like I stated before. To help push keep the barrel down more so than to reduce recoil.
IMG_0819.JPG
IMG_0820.JPG

First I don't know how long that Zytel stock will last in that cartridge.
300 Win Mag?
Are you wanting to change cartridge and stay with 30 cal or a caliber change?
For deer, I would rather use a 6.5 or a 7mm myself.
How far do you want to be able to hunt?

Recoil isn't bad the muzzle brake isn't that impressive. Is is 5 small holes on top of the the barrel. I assume the is to help the gun stay down. It is a light weight barrel in my opinion. It is a 308 win mag and I'm shooting a mild load of 150 gr Barnes TSX right now. Will probably work up a load with something I can afford to do more shooting with. When I say it is the original stock I mean the cheap light weight brown plastic one. I really would love to get this thing completely redone but have several things I can't decide online wether or not keep it center grip or go rear grip. I think I might like it better rear. Other deal is I have a few good smiths around here but don't know if they work on these. Anyway for now I have been wandering about changing to rifle scope but for out of a blind hunting didn't know if I'd end up hitting my face.

A better brake would make a huge difference with your current set up

here are a pic of the ports on the barrel and the handgun itself. The 2 Spots going with the barrel are actually the threaded spots for the previous sight system. I know I have been calling it a brake but I am pretty sure it is actually like I stated before. To help push keep the barrel down more so than to reduce recoil.
View attachment 21983
View attachment 21984

I would like to stay 308 I kinda like it but yea I figured the brake wasn't doing much I'd like to rebarrel it and restock it. Which I guess would be to completely rebuild it. One of these days I'm going to take it to a smith. Just need to find one. I think I'd like it to be a rear grip and more bull barreled but for now I guess it may have to much recoil for a rifle scope

A good brake although money spent on a system that you don't seem to be enamored with, would keep you in the game and would probably allow you to go to a rifle scope, while saving funds for whatever build you are considering.
What cartridge do you want, when you rebarrel?

I would like to stay 308 I kinda like it but yea I figured the brake wasn't doing much I'd like to rebarrel it and restock it. Which I guess would be to completely rebuild it. One of these days I'm going to take it to a smith. Just need to find one. I think I'd like it to be a rear grip and more bull barreled but for now I guess it may have to much recoil for a rifle scope

308 Win
30-284 or 30-06
300 SAUM (Great in a XP by the way), since it is shorter than the WSM is sort of made for the XP.
300 WSM
300 Win Mag
300 Dakota
I know several good smiths that work on a lot of XP's when you are ready.

Ernie,
I for one have always enjoyed your posts. You come off (at least to me) like a man who is passionate about this sport and who enjoys sharing that passion with others. I see an SP in my future and a long list of questions headed your way!:D As usual nice shooting and thanks for helping make this forum such a great place!

308 Win
30-284 or 30-06
300 SAUM (Great in a XP by the way), since it is shorter than the WSM is sort of made for the XP.
300 WSM
300 Win Mag
300 Dakota
I know several good smiths that work on a lot of XP's when you are ready.

I always thought I'd keep it 308 but I do love new calibers and i have several 308 rifles. I'm not stuck on 30 cal but don't really know what would be good for an xp. I'd probably take it out to 600, but I do have my range out to a thousand. I'm always ready to do something to it it's only a matter of can I afford it ha. You know anybody that works on them here in tx. I never did like the idea of shipping it off.

If you start checking the ballistic coefficient of different calibers you'll see that the 6.5 and the 7mm will beat the 30 caliber all day long in terms of Winddrift which is the biggest issue in long-range hunting.
What it all boils down to though is what do you want?
I always thought I'd keep it 308 but I do love new calibers and i have several 308 rifles. I'm not stuck on 30 cal but don't really know what would be good for an xp. I'd probably take it out to 600, but I do have my range out to a thousand. I'm always ready to do something to it it's only a matter of can I afford it ha. You know anybody that works on them here in tx. I never did like the idea of shipping it off.

Ernie,
I for one have always enjoyed your posts. You come off (at least to me) like a man who is passionate about this sport and who enjoys sharing that passion with others. I see an SP in my future and a long list of questions headed your way!:D As usual nice shooting and thanks for helping make this forum such a great place!

Thank you.
I will be glad to visit with you when that time comes.

Ernie,

What gunsmith would you recommend build an xp 100. I know have a serious itch to rebuild mine. Thanks a lot ha. I know the 7mm and 6.5 are great long range rounds but if you were going to have just one xp. What round would you make it in. Also I have shot a couple of rear grip handguns but never in an xp. Do you think that for sitting off a bench type situation that it is better than the center grip?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.