XP-100

Miles Killian

In pistols such as the XP-100 or the TC Contender do you tend to use faster burning powers to minimize muzzle flash or is that an exercise in futility?

I shoot the same powders as a rifle length barrel.

One example I have is my 7mm RSAUM, using 168 Berger VLDH bullets, I get more MV using H1000 than I do with H4831sc, with similar accuracy. H1000 nets me ~100 fps more MV. Muzzle flash is about the same, which I don't see unless it's close to dark.

I shoot the same powders as a rifle length barrel.

One example I have is my 7mm RSAUM, using 168 Berger VLDH bullets, I get more MV using H1000 than I do with H4831sc, with similar accuracy. H1000 nets me ~100 fps more MV. Muzzle flash is about the same, which I don't see unless it's close to dark.
What length barrel are you running?

My barrel on that gun is 17.5".

However, I've tested barrels as short as 14" on Contender and 15" on Encore platforms. In every case, I've had best results using the same powder that gives highest velocity in rifle length barrels vs going with faster burning powders.
I like that info.

I'm usually chasing velocity in shorter barrels, and have found the powders that give the best velocity in a 22-28" barrel give the best velocity in 15-16" barrels. I don't really care about muzzle flash, so it's not something I pay much attention to.

I'm usually chasing velocity in shorter barrels, and have found the powders that give the best velocity in a 22-28" barrel give the best velocity in 15-16" barrels. I don't really care about muzzle flash, so it's not something I pay much attention to.
Ok, thanks