length of pull

sure shot

How do I determine length of pull when choosing a custom stock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

OK guys! answer this one I want to know too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My wife is shopping for a shotgun with a shorter than normal LOP and we will most likely have to order it sight unseen. I would like to hear what you all have to say concerning this as well. Hopefully it will relate to shotguns as well as custom rifle stocks.

Put your arm on the table, bent at a 90 deg. angle and measure from the top of your bicep to the last joint on your index finger.
There are a variations, but this will get you there.....
This would be a summer time LOP....I would subtract at least 1/2" for a wintertime or year round LOP (allows for a coat)
It is better to have it a little short than to have it to long.

chris matthews,
Thanks Chris. The measurement on the gun... Would that be from the butt end of the stock to the triger?
Gracias.

Thanks chris. We have been doing the same thing at the store, sorta. We were placing the butt of the gun against the bicep and seeing if the side of the grip rested at, or slightly behind, the palm of the hand. At least we were on the right track. And we were considering the winter time clothing issue. That is a big one with us since most of the meat gathering is done from fall untill spring.

Thanks again.

Chris, I did it the way you described and came up with 13in lop This will be a hunting rifle so with heavy clothing I should get a stock with around a 12.5in lop correct. Thanks for your help.

Chris,
very good info. Thanks.
Last night my 14 years old son was reading this post with me, got up very quickly and after a while comes back showing me how his pellet gun fits his arm the way you explained it. I said, ah it's about 1/4" too long... Hed said with a smile: It'll work dad!
Definitely Longe range hunting is a good place to visit and
I want to thank you ALL for your willingness to share.
God Bless!
Javier Moncada.

Tommy 12.5 would be a good way to go. Like I mentioned, too short is better than too long.....My LOP is 15", most of my customer rifles are standard LOP at 13 1/2 to 13 3/4 and I can shoot them just fine, but put your son on one of my personal rifles and he couldn't reach the trigger....

"**** it boy" a 15" length of pull you must be a little fella huh , heck can't be much more than what 6'4"
Do you find it uncomfortable at all to shoot shorter LOP guns , I have a tactical 870 that has a short LOP for wearing a tac vest and its kinda awckward to shoot with just a T-shirt , I don't seem to draw it into my shoulder tight when fast draw and shooting.

I feel better now. I just measured and came up with 15.0.. Whew..I thought I was the freaky boy with the monkey arms....LMAO..

But then again.............I'm the Ugly one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.