Votes: 15 38.5%
  • 13 5/8"

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • 13 3/4"

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • 13 7/8"

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters
I just got a new B&C Alskan and had it made to 14" while it's better for me than the standard 13" I think my next one will be about 13.75"

I must be built weird, 14&1/2 is perfect for me. When I first started shooting, I had no idea what LOP was or that it mattered. I ordered a semi-custom and they asked if I wanted a custom LOP. Did some research and some measuring - Made a HUGE difference, and haven't made a new rifle purchase since without taking it into account (minus a rimfire or two).

Since you are severely biased against adults with T-rex arms, my vote is :p on you.

I was curious after handling a Cooper with a 13.75" LOP and finding it somewhat long and awkward. I ordered one with a 13.5" LOP and it fit a whole lot better. I looked at the LOP of some of the more common rifles. Remington BDL 13 3/8", Winchester M70 13 1/2", Savage 16 13 1/2", Weatherby Mark V 13 5/8", Browning A Bolt 13 3/4". I had to stop somewhere. I actually went one above the longest LOP I found and thus favored guy's with long arms even though I prefer the shorter LOP.

Could it be that short people like short length of pull and tall people like longer length of pull ? Before it became common to have recoil pads on rifles I d put a recoil pad on to get the length of pull to 14 inches. Now I try to get a pull on type so that pull is 14 inches.

16.5" is what works for me.
X2 for long range work I use 16.5" of pull. For my guide rifle I use 15.5" for speed of shouldering and when the clothing gets bulky. The toothy critters up here move pretty quick when they want to. Also to measure your length of pull measure from the crease in your arm when bent at 90 degrees to your trigger finger bent at 90 degrees as if you were shooting.

Reuben

Last edited:
Could it be that short people like short length of pull and tall people like longer length of pull ? Before it became common to have recoil pads on rifles I d put a recoil pad on to get the length of pull to 14 inches. Now I try to get a pull on type so that pull is 14 inches.

Short people tend to have shorter arms, tall people longer arms. Arm length is what matters.

For my carry rifles 12.5 works for me other wise the rifle is out on my bicep and I cannot get a good cheek weld. When shooting off a bench I slip on 1 inch rubber recoil pad.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.