Kneepads

GeorgeB52

What kind of kneepads do you gentleman use for mountain hunting?
Them rocks killed me all this years.
Will be nice to see some suggestions and reasons you are using that particular brand.

Several years ago, after returning from my first Wyoming antelope hunt with numerous cactus splinters stuck in my knees (amongst other places), my wife gave me a Christmas present containing 2 pair of Under Armor basketball pants with built-in knee pads. They work really well. The pads stay in place and supply more than ample protection from both rocks and cactus. They are slightly compressing, but allow light weight or heavy weight hunting pants to slip over them pretty easily. (No fly however, so that's a work-around.) Otherwise, they do exactly what I was hoping for.

These CLC kneepads. I was using these for work and hunting even before I acquired a knee replacement scar across my kneecap. For my hunting pair I have spray painted the surface with flat green/black paint to camo them and make them less shiny. The inside foam pad is very comfortable and the outer surface, being soft is quiet on rocks. In particular they helped me get a really nice pronghorn buck, handgun hunting, after a lengthy stalk that included a couple hundred yards of crawling on cooking hot sharp broken rock. I was as close as 12 yards at times to his does and fawns without spooking them. I have used taped on foam and other kneepads in the past but these are my go-to now. The upper part really helps against the little prickly pear cactus common in pronghorn country.

CLC Custom Leathercraft 361 Nonskid Kneepads.

Last edited:
1642289111980.png

I have a pair of the Arc'Teryx ones that I use telemark skiing and I really liked them for hunting as well. This year First Lite came out with the Corrugate Foundry pants with built-in (removable) knee pads and I tried it. Spent 20+ days in them through Oct/Nov and really like the knee pad. The difference between them and the Arc'Teryx (or any knee pad that secures to your leg instead of in a pant) is that your knee can move independently of the pad, so you want to be aware of that when you first kneel down. But I like the fact that you don't feel them at all once you stand up and are walking, unlike ones that are secured to your legs.

I've never used them for hunting per say, but I'll vote for built in knee pads over strap on ones. Strap on knee pads tend to slide/come loose and cause rubbing and discomfort when wearing them for long periods in my experience.