The Ultimate Hunting Rifle Action!

I much prefer a safety mounted on the bolt that controls the firing pin. Locking the bolt is nice also. Recoil lug, I have used both, a fixed ejector is a delight both on the bench and in the field. The Ruger 77 safety is a good attempt. I have ham handed friends that can consistently move the safety to the middle position when running the bolt fast. Lots of neat actions out there but most of the features are slanted toward competition rather than hunting.

Then you would disapprove of the Mauser M98 bolt design with the exterior extractor?

View attachment 567243
I approve of it if your questioning me it's an amazing design in itself and has led to a many new actions, but you still have that extra step to machine in the extractor cut in the barrel on Mauser and model 70s So there that is, after all imo the ring of steel of the bolt nose cut on a barrel adds a certain level of "strength" imo

On the garand there is a lot more steel left around the lugs and such... all I'm saying...

1000042165.jpg

Jack Lyons with TL Technologies is the current holder of the rights for the 704/LAW action I believe. He's not producing them anymore. I had one, good overall action. His banner ad pops up on top here every once in a while.

I have a law rifle, I like the action. I also like the hs precision action, I have several of them. I prefer a 3 position safety on the bolt on a hunting gun.
If I could get a terminus zeus or defiance anti-x and have the bolt safety/extractor and mechanical eject of a m704 that would prob be tops on my list.
If given all my choices it would be integral lug and rail, 3 *** safety on the bolt, Mechanical ejection, controlled round feed. And if you could do that on a 3 lug with 60 deg bolt throw it would be nice.

Longbomber keep your fingers crossed! No telling who's watching this! The sad truth is that most guys don't know they don't want what I've described only because before it's been a rare bird and they haven't seen the potential of it. Design wise and cost wise either! The extraction cut in the barrel adds an amount of labor, this would eliminate that step in the build.

It is difficult to answer to what is the ultimate but to me the action must be of ultimate reliability, being able to cycle with
reliably within less than perfect hunting conditions like extreme cold and hot, snow and rain and not get jammed by a blade of grass or a pine needle, at the end of the day the Pre 64 M70 Winchester is my first choice followed by the New Classics with the older trigger system, third and perhaps it could even be first would be a modern CRF action that maintains the CRF system with a 3 position safety, the feeding could be a traditional staggered internal magazine or even clip fed if fed in-line like the newer Tikka mag systems, hard to improve on the M98 type system at the end of the day, Dakota did a hell of a job creating a modern pre64 in both the 76 (pre 64) and 97 (rem foot print) type actions with some innovative features, too bad Remington took them over and went bankrupt. If it is for anything less than big game hunting like varmint hunting then any action will do (and I do use many non CRF actions) .
BB

Recent Posts