Keep your computer clean and fast and enjoy LRH

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss7mm

In the last month or so I've received several questions about the site, speed, computer issues and others along the same line. If you have questions or issues with something maybe some of the following will help.

I use Firefox 3.5.2 and find that IE is v e r r r y slooooow in comparison. I also currently run 47 addons although this is something I don't recommend. I just like trying them all to see what works or helps.

1: If you are using Firefox and are having problems of any kind, did it start recently and have you installed any addons recently? If so, disable the addons you recently added, restart FF and try it again. Sometimes you will find an addon that will give you problems.

2: If you have recently upgraded your version of FF and are experiencing any difficulties you may have to do a complete delete of FF and a clean, fresh installation of the newest version. Before you do this however, I'd recommend that you make sure you have your profile/s and addons backed up so you can hit the ground running when you do the fresh install. I use FEBE (Firefox Environment Backup Extension). You can get it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2109 This is something we had to do a lot with the first versions of FF but with the current installers it's a rare thing but can happen.

I also use MozBackup and you can get it here: MozBackup - Backup tool for Firefox and Thunderbird

3: If strange things are happening, and not only on LRH, you may be the lucky recipient of a bug, virus, Trojan, Malware etc. Below are the steps I'd recommend to clean your computer up. Usually the first 3 will get you cleaned up. You can be infected and still be able to use the internet, you will just start to notice things not working right or slowing down. Keep it clean. You might be surprised to find out how many infections you have on your system.

A. Install and run these programs.
Malwarebytes.org
SUPERAntiSpyware.com | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!
Ad-Aware by Lavasoft - Antivirus software, free spyware removal, firewall
The home of Spybot-S&D!

If these don't find it or can't clear it, post in one of these forums for specialized malware removal help:
Spyware Warrior :: Index
AumHa Forums
http://www.spywareinfoforum.com

B. Close all applications and reboot the computer.
Delete any downloaded or partially downloaded installer files.
Clear the browser cache (of whatever browser you are using to download FF) and the Windows Temp directory.
Delete the directory C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
Shutdown any anti-virus software you are running.
Download a new copy of the full installer from www.mozilla.com
Run the installer.
Restart the anti-virus program.

I have FF set to clear cache and cookies when closing FF and only keep cookies until I close FF. I also run "Cookie Culler" and "Clear Cache" in FF. You can get them here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/82 and https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1801.

4: I also run "NoScript" and highly recommend it. You can read about it, and get it, here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722 When first installed you will have to click the poor mouse a time or two to allow the sites you use all of the time but, for me at least, it's not a big deal and only takes a second or two and then it's done permanently.

5: I have used "CCleaner" since before it was "CCleaner" and highly recommend it. It runs whenever I reboot or restart the computer and I also periodically run it to clean out the junk.

6: With the sites we have now days I also make sure that Java is updated and you can check on that here: java.com: Java + You

A lot of this may seem like overkill and I'm not saying that you have to use it all or do it all. I'm just recommending some things that may help you out and you can pick and choose what you try.

I will say this though, if you run Firefox and can run 47 addons then you must have a clean system and things must be running pretty smoothly. I have no problem with any sites unless it's a programming thing and then it's usually something that means that you are forced to use IE on a site occasionally. In that case, I normally use "IE Tab" and you can get it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

Remember, keep it clean, keep everything backed up and documented, especially before making any changes.

=========================================================​
This is Len.

I'm sorry that even one of you may have a slow experience on LRH but it seems to be a very small number statistically. We have 30,000 registered members and 260,000 total different visitors per month. The number of SLOW comments is very small. When I do speed tests using sophisticated tools, our site loads pretty well compared to other large sites. A little slower than some but I am talking a few seconds per page, not the interminable slow that a few report. The difference between a few seconds in the tests and REALLY slow by a few tells me that their problem is somehow on their computer.

I am editing Dick's helpful post to add a suggestion made by my friend who owns BigGameHunt.net. She recommends Google Chrome as a browser. I have used Firefox for years and like it. In the past year I have found Chrome to be even better. For the record -- Internet Explorer is NOT slow on my computer. All these issues seem to vary a LOT depending on how individual computers are setup and on which plugins they utilize.

Back in July we launched a new version of BigGameHunt and with that came some site speed complaints. We spent a considerable amount of time improving the performance on the server side and have made significant gains over July. We also will continue to evaluate and implement new techniques that will make BGH faster to load.

One of the questions that has come up is why the new site is slower than the old site. One of the biggest reasons is that our new site makes more use of Javascript (a web language that runs on your computer in the browser). Javascript is used on the client side (your computer) and thus, beyond a few minor adjustments on the server side, there is not a lot we can do to speed it up on your computer. To speed up Javascript, the interpreter in your browser needs to be faster. One way to do this is to buy a faster computer, which is not exactly cost efficient. The second way to speed up the interpreter is to run a more efficient Javascript engine in your browser. Enter Google Chrome.

Google released a free browser a few years ago and the V8 (yes its really named after the classic internal combustion engine design) Javascript engine is well known to be considerably faster than current Internet Explorer versions as well as the latest Firefox. In our testing there is a considerable speed boost when browsing BGH in Google Chrome. While there are some minor cosmetic issues in Chrome, the speed boost is well worth a try.

If you would like to try Chrome on your computer when browsing BGH or the web at large, it is available for free download here:

Google Chrome - Get a fast new browser. For PC, Mac, and Linux

Note that all is not lost for Firefox, there are some beta versions of the 4.0 version of Firefox that use Mozilla's new JaegerMonkey (yes that's Hunter Monkey) engine that show promising Javascript benchmarks. Firefox 4.0 will be out next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good info: I have a computer w/ Bloodhound on it. I will see if I can't get rid of it w/ some of these tips that I have not yet tried..

BH- if you are to the point you can't do much to help the situation try going here it's free. You need to start your computer in "safe mode with networking" though. Just press F8 repeatedly during boot process and select it from the list.

TREND MICRO HouseCall 6.5

Thanks for the tip:
My IT guy couldn't even uninstall symantic. He said I need to bring it down and he would wipe it clean and reinstall everything. Problem is it's my wife's and we can't find the discs. This would be great to get it resolved.
BD

Dick, my computer had gotten progressively slower with FF which is normally good. I Did a complete uninstall and put the new version on. It rocks!

Excellent thread!

One add-on thats caused me grief recently was the Skype add-on - which started making Gmail screw up! Disabled that one - which I don't recall enabling, must have gotten added during the Skype install - and everything was back to normal.

In addition to CCleaner... the same people make a good defrag program which can help a lot to keep a Windows system running smoothly - I run it nightly to keep things sorted out, along with CCleaner running at startup. Check out Defraggler.com for more info. They also make a backup/recovery program 'Recuva' but I haven't used it (yet).

A friend had been having trouble with LRH site. I suggested Chrome as a browser instead of IE that he had been using.

Wow, I haven't had internet this fast for a long time!! Same connection, just using the google browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.