Kaboom 💥 Today 😟

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes. I can't say for sure but it looks like bad brass to me.

I'd probably ditch the rest of that brass as others have suggested. At least inspect it very carefully.

I had a 7-08 case rupture once. It was factory Wichester with the nickel plated cases. I caught a face full of hot gas, powder and brass shards. And that's why I always wear eye protection.

To confirm headspace of chamber:

243AI go - checks fine
243AI No go - checks fine
308 go - does not go. Checks fine
IMG_0689.jpeg

Bad brass

That break looks the same as being cut with a fine tooth saw or file -no case separation caused by excessive headspace, which would be indicated by separation in front of the internal cartridge web, a strong work hardened portion. A real clean even separation in front of the extractor groove, the strongest portion of the case. Not a case separation caused by excessive head space.

My thinking is:
The smooth & precise separation was the result of a defect. Various materials, in the plastic state, show signs of failure or separation when subjected to force directed normal to the failed area, called a "stress fracture". My guess is that this failure was initiated when the case was made. The head area is work hardened and when the case was made by forming plastic state brass, a stress fracture was initiated, and the case failed later when more normally directed forces were applied, like in chambering a crush fit round to fire form the Ackley Improved brass case - a .004 or more crush fit.

Location of the brass in chamber has no effect on the subject separation as shown by imminent failure on non-separated areas, like shown in internal photos. Any exposed brass would be located away from internal high pressures near the bolt face with extractor groove exposed. The failure occured in front of the extractor groove surrounded by chamber walls.

I would guess that parts used for critical stuff, like life & limb, would be subjected to various tests like X-ray to look for any defects.
Sorry boss, I have seen this many times in 7 Mag and 300 Winchester. I extracted the case head, the rest of the brass in the chamber, clean cut, and slick cut. Miss matches of Dies and chamber, brass result in pushing the shoulder back way too far in order to size the web. You will get five firings out of the brass or so(full-length sized), then case head separations in front of the belt occur.

Another thing, there was some obvious pressure. I would question if the HV 100 exhibits of a pressure spike like I found out that Varget has. I wonder if the extractor is intact in the bolt.

Prudent to remove the firing pin and get the carbon out of the bolt body, and there will be a considerable amount.

Another question, when the barrel was chambered, how much of the case head was left hanging out of the back of the barrel? This could be another problem, and it would not be a small one. I wonder how the case was extracted, Ball Pein hammer? It had to be seized up against the bolt head in a mangled mess, my best guess. An excessive gap between the bolt face and the breach of the barrel would make the case head separation or defective piece of brass a much more serious issue.

This is a great learning opportunity for many.

To confirm headspace of chamber:

243AI go - checks fine
243AI No go - checks fine
308 go - does not go. Checks fine
View attachment 486090
Headspace didn't cause this, we form AI Bras from regular cartridges where the shoulder doesn't even touch with nary a problem, I don't care if you bumped it .020 that ain't the cause

My gut is telling me this was the cause. Further evidence I now recall is the remaining rounds in the mag lost their bullets, and I had powder dumped all over my shooting mat. I don't know this 100% of course, and there is the evidence the case rupture is rather strange. However, I never intend to shoot with .0005 case neck tension. This is the only variable out of whack in all of this...
Very, very doubtfull, have done this myself, neck tension CAN be so light that bullets can easily be pulled out as long as they don't fall out under gravity and not cause an issue. The reason the other bullets fell out would be from the magazine letting go…have seen that also with 223 ammo that was crimped.

Cheers.

I had a conversation with someone who fireforms a lot a brass into AI. He pointed out to me that AI fireformed brass is being stretched .080 to .100" upon fireforming and the cases don't kaboom ever. That is by orders of magnitude more than I could ever possible cause a kaboom from .003".

,002 bump has become the standard.
.004 bump is what Alex Wheler likes

I honestly believe this is NOT an over pressure incident, if it were, the brass is normally fused around the bolt face. I am certain that is faulty brass from when extruded while being made. Lapua are one of the few that extrudes their brass instead of drawing it.

Cheers.

Wouldn't the tendency to "fuse", torch, cut, and melt steel/brass around the bolt face depend on both the pressure level and the rate at which the pressure is released? This casing web separation largely removed the case head from the body. Pressure released rapidly might not torch and weld the bolt face and surrounding metal. Even if excessive pressure caused the rupture. We know pressure was released quickly, as measured bullet velocity was 2,100. 600fps slower than sister loads that didn't rupture.

Yes, this single casing could have been defective. The location of separation at the extractor groove rather than nearer the 0.200" datam suggests defective brass. On the other hand, it did survive a 1st firing without the fireworks.

If you've ever seen a similar case head separation in your gunsmithing career, feel free to say so. I haven't.

You've tagged angry emoji's in response to my posts. Yet... close your posts with "Cheers".

So... generally a cheery guy? Who disagrees angrily?

Brad, I have reread this twice and be dammed if something really jumps out. The ONLY exception is RL17 is and can be REALLY temperature temperamental in hotter conditions. Jammed fireforming load in hotter temps, possibly a weak piece of brass, Perseid meteor shower heavier this year and climate change prob all had effect. Just so glad you got thru without injuries. I just put my safety glasses back into range bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.