Is this where muzzleloading is going?!

I have an inline muzzleloader and use it a week a year due to PA hunting regulations for the October season. If I could use it during flintlock season I would too, but the PGC wont make the change. If you want to go out with a flintlock in the woods and prey the pan goes off go for it. However, I'll take the inline when I can use it over the old school muzzleloaders. PA literally makes you flintlock hunt during the worst part of the year. You should be able to use an Inline IMO.

I have an inline muzzleloader and use it a week a year due to PA hunting regulations for the October season. If I could use it during flintlock season I would too, but the PGC wont make the change. If you want to go out with a flintlock in the woods and prey the pan goes off go for it. However, I'll take the inline when I can use it over the old school muzzleloaders. PA literally makes you flintlock hunt during the worst part of the year. You should be able to use an Inline IMO.
The late season is for people who actually enjoy muzzleloaders. Rifle season is for you.

The late season is for people who actually enjoy muzzleloaders. Rifle season is for you.
Not too many people that I can tell enjoy it. I see very few people hunting that time of the year. Seems to me most of them are 60+ year olds still living in the past if you ask me.

Yeah, maybe they'll ban inline and smokeless in all states. no scopes anywhere either. then we can shorten the seasons since nobody really hunts with a traditional anymore. Heck, lets just do away with that season. Rifles are getting too powerful too. Shooting long range is irresponsible because somebody may be in the woods between the hunter and that elk. Lets make sure they use less powerful guns and ban scopes on those too. Heck we can do away with that season since nobody really hunts it any more. and since nobody is hunting anymore there is no reason for them to own those guns anymore either. See where this is headed. You're happy the .gov gave you a new rule and took their inch. They'll be back for the whole mile soon.

In KY they just want the deer population reduced, so anything goes with muzzleloaders. I don't own an inline. nor do I plan on owning one. I feel they aren't in the spirit of what the season was created for. Having said that, I have no problem with guys using them, for the folks that don't bow hunt it gives them a couple weeks in the woods. Inlines along with compounds and crossbows don't seem to have a real impact on our deer population. If any of the three help get a young person in the woods hunting it's good for all of us.

Not too many people that I can tell enjoy it. I see very few people hunting that time of the year. Seems to me most of them are 60+ year olds still living in the past if you ask me.
I think saying people live in the past is an unfair characterization. They just enjoy something different than you do. Not worse or wrong, just different.

The other thing you have to take into consideration is efficacy of a weapon and its effect on harvest. It may be that they can offer an additional season (flintlock for example) with low harvest success without changing overall population objectives. More effective weapons change the harvest dynamics and eventually over time the overall population of animals.

It's not the weapon so much as its effectiveness and the resulting change in harvest.

I think most would agree that the highest sustainable healthy animal population over time while maximizing harvest/opportunities should be the objective. Weapons and their efficacy are a major consideration in that equation.

Last edited:
Some people actually enjoy the challenge of hunting with a flintlock. No it's not easy but it is rewarding if you have the skills to get a deer. Apparently you prefer the easy button compared to a challenge.
It seems that most younger hunters prefer the easy instead of a difficult hunt.

I think saying people live in the past is an unfair characterization. They just enjoy something different than you do. Not worse or wrong, just different.

The other thing you have to take into consideration is efficacy of a weapon and its effect on harvest. It may be that they can offer an additional season (flintlock for example) with low harvest success without changing overall population objectives. More effective weapons change the harvest dynamics and eventually over time the overall population of animals.

It's not the weapon so much as its effectiveness and the resulting change in harvest.

I think most would agree that the highest sustainable healthy animal population over time while maximizing harvest/opportunities should be the objective. Weapons and their efficacy are a major consideration in that equation.

Not so much here in PA, we are losing hunters by the thousands and have trouble meeting the harvest goals as is. Sooner or later it will be changed but it still won't be a high impact season as most people are done deer hunting for the year by then.

The funniest part about the situation is a few years back people requested an early muzzleloader season for bucks and the PGC said no claiming that they couldn't sustain that level of harvest before the rut. Now archery is taking almost 50% of the bucks prior to the rut and they keep increasing the length of the archery season.

Some people actually enjoy the challenge of hunting with a flintlock. No it's not easy but it is rewarding if you have the skills to get a deer. Apparently you prefer the easy button compared to a challenge.

Depends on the challenge, I hunted with a flintlock for a few years but when the PGC changed to buck only for the first week of rifle I switched to an inline to make up for the lost week of rifle doe hunting. Now I have a suppressed smokeless muzzleloader barrel I switch onto my regular rifle for that week but if given the option I'd rather they change the season to allow straightwalls so I can hunt that week with my 1874 Sharps or 1873 Winchester for more of a challenge.

Now if they would add a flintlock season for bucks in November I'd break it back out again and probably buy a much nicer one.

Last edited:
Most of the hunters I know are constantly trying to improve their chances at having successful hunt. Differing State regulations make this challenging. We adapt to the regulations, and then they change the regulations. It's tough for hunters that live and hunt in states where anti-hunting people run their government. I'll do whatever it takes to get me in the woods and fields to enjoy the great outdoors. The critters I hunt still have a significant advantage regardless of the equipment I use. I need all the help I can get in fair chase hunting.

Being pushed by the insurance companies to reduce the deer herd…too many auto claims due to deer collisions.
Yep. Definitely true. Also why DNR brought in mountain lions to Iowa. Anybody who actually thinks all these mountain lions we have now just migrated here from wherever is smoking some good dope.

Not so much here in PA, we are losing hunters by the thousands and have trouble meeting the harvest goals as is. Sooner or later it will be changed but it still won't be a high impact season as most people are done deer hunting for the year by then.

The funniest part about the situation is a few years back people requested an early muzzleloader season for bucks and the PGC said no claiming that they couldn't sustain that level of harvest before the rut. Now archery is taking almost 50% of the bucks prior to the rut and they keep increasing the length of the archery season.

Depends on the challenge, I hunted with a flintlock for a few years but when the PGC changed to buck only for the first week of rifle I switched to an inline to make up for the lost week of rifle doe hunting. Now I have a suppressed smokeless muzzleloader barrel I switch onto my regular rifle for that week but if given the option I'd rather they change the season to allow straightwalls so I can hunt that week with my 1874 Sharps or 1873 Winchester for more of a challenge.

Now if they would add a flintlock season for bucks in November I'd break it back out again and probably buy a much nicer one.
I don't understand the dynamics of PA and the game populations. The answers given by Game & Fish bureaucrats for some particular issue doesn't often align with their own stated objectives. In their defense they are dealing with a dynamic system that's hardly predictable both in regards to animal populations and hunter adaptations to new regulation and the integration of new technology.

Why is hunting participation decreasing? In my mind it's human evolution and neuro-chemical. People can get the same dopamine hit from playing video games without leaving the couch as they can going out hunting. It's less energy expenditure for the same neuro/chemical result. Given humans are wired biologically to use the least amount of calories for a given return on investment the results are predictable.

My wife works with a bunch of gals whose husbands and boyfriends main hobby is playing video games.

I don't understand the dynamics of PA and the game populations. The answers given by Game & Fish bureaucrats for some particular issue doesn't often align with their own stated objectives. In their defense they are dealing with a dynamic system that's hardly predictable both in regards to animal populations and hunter adaptations to new regulation and the integration of new technology.

Why is hunting participation decreasing? In my mind it's human evolution and neuro-chemical. People can get the same dopamine hit from playing video games without leaving the couch as they can going out hunting. It's less energy expenditure for the same neuro/chemical result. Given humans are wired biologically to use the least amount of calories for a given return on investment the results are predictable.

My wife works with a bunch of gals whose husbands and boyfriends main hobby is playing video games.
Until things go south with the government and it collapses. When they get hungry hunting will become popular very fast , except the video warriors will not have a clue how to actually kill and dress a game animal.

I have no issues with people using a flintlock if that's what they desire. However, if there's an availability to use something more modern I think it should be an option. Your last statement I disagree with. It has nothing to do about what's easy and hard. It's called technology and moving along with the current status quo. For example, I don't see people out fishing a river or lake using 18th century fishing rods. Or people riding horse and carriage when they can drive a car. (Aside from the Amish) As for a flintlock, I've had several experiences where the pan didn't go off and it has nothing to do skill at all. That's just dumb luck mainly because the powder got wet or whatever the case maybe. I want to be as efficient as possible when I'm spending time doing anything these days. If you want to play at a handicap that's your decision.