Is this even possible? Rem 700 Incredible length of cartridge OAL to lands

Yes, it's entirely possible, even probable, for your 700 to have a very long throat. The general rule for a .30:06 is to have .30" of the bullet's bearing surface contacting the neck. If this isn't the case, then seat the bullets further until adequate bullet/neck contact exists.

Another option, though it's probably not going to meet your ideal, is to use heavier (longer) bullets or ones with a shorter boattail.

I recently measured a 700 chambered in 308 Winchester, and with 169 grain SMKs, the COAl to reach the lands is 3.010", which is way beyond an acceptable loaded length.
Yep definitely possible.

My 700 5R Milspec .308 seats Berger 175 VLDs at 3.050 to touch the lands. Still shoots them at 1/2" typically.
don't get hung up on touching the lands. Just start at SAAMI length and work out from there.

What brand bullets are these. Maybe a Nos Accubond or Sierra gameking may be seated farther in the case when seated closer to the lands.
Do you even know if these bullets will shoot w/o a jump?
Most factory throats are long for the simple reason that here are 100 samples of factory ammo made for that cartridge.
Lastly, if there is no desire to crimp into the cannelure, why shoot bullets with one?

Is this even possible?
100% Put a 180 in it and it should seat fine, then check to see if it's an 11 twist instead of a 10.

But that aside, IMO 2MOA+ isn't something minor like seating depth, it's something major like a warped stock or bad barrel fouling or something is loose. As much as I love old blued scopes (and I have several) a scope issue can't be ruled out on that rifle.

I have a very similar vintage rifle that shoots very well for what it is, but scope adjustments are entirely hit and miss with it. Basically I check zero and never touch the knobs for as long as possible, accepting the reduced precision that comes along with it to keep the scope on the gun.

In a factory gun..... you are regulated by the mag.length.....
easy however to try a single shot with bullet seated out to lands.....
were it mine and wanted to try to get all I could out of it......
I would bed it.... float the barrel
make sure of scope reliability
try different powders
try different bullets....
if you can get it to shoot 1 MOA.... be happy....
Some will go than .5 MOA....

Did you see the picture I uploaded showing the relative depth in the neck. Wanted your view if they are safe to shoot this far out of the neck. I don't mind shooting them as single shots.

IN addition to what Bill said, I would put at limb saver recoil pad on the rifle, a slip-on at least.
Per the comments from the other members it seems that the versatility of the 30-06 may come at a compromise and accuracy in terms of seeding the bullet 200ths off the lands. I don't mind going with a bigger, longer bullet. When I first bought the rifle I was buying 180 grain factory loads, because I thought 180 grain was the typical 30 odd 6 cartridge. I was less recoil sensitive back then and wasn't aware I basically had an elk load that I was firing! Funny you suggested the limb saver I just ordered one that should be custom fit for that BDL. I'm excited for it as I have a bruise from this week's shooting.

ROY WEATHERBY never thought about getting close to the lands.
Seriously work off mag box length and back. You will find what you need.
Happy New Year's. 🎊
I just purchased a Mark 5 Deluxe in 7 mm Weatherby Magnum! I'll have to do some research. I know Mr weatherby had more jump to the lands but the picture I posted we're looking more like 0.25 not, 0.05!

IMO, people worry too much about reaching lands. After all, why do you want to reach lands?
The only thing that matters is the seating depth that tests as best.
If you don't feel like there is enough friction to hold loaded bullets (like you can move bullets by hand), then seat deeper with your seating testing. But it looks like plenty to me. I'm sure it would take a lot of force beyond recoil to move em.
In my research a number of very credible sources suggest that getting between 0.015 to 0.030. (depending on pressure) is one of the biggest things you can do to improve a rifle's accuracy. It's my understanding that most bench rest shooters and a lot of 6.5 MM Creedmoor shooters are now seating their bullets right on the lands with absolutely no jump. I just worked up some loads on my 6.5 creedmoor's and my 270 Winchester with 0.020 jumps and am shooting 1 hole targets at 100 yards.

Remington 30 caliber chambers have long freebore/throats. So yes. My 308 will not have any bearing surface left in the case with a 168 SMK seated to the lands. As for twist it's 1:10 unless marked differently on the barrel. It will not be slower than 1:10. It's highly likely your barrel isn't free floated in a wood stock.

2 MOA doesn't mean much without knowing number of shots and seeing the groups.

er the comments from the other members it seems that the versatility of the 30-06 may come at a compromise and accuracy in terms of seeding the bullet 200ths off the lands.

In my research a number of very credible sources suggest that getting between 0.015 to 0.030. (depending on pressure) is one of the biggest things you can do to improve a rifle's accuracy. It's my understanding that most bench rest shooters and a lot of 6.5 MM Creedmoor shooters are now seating their bullets right on the lands with absolutely no jump. I just worked up some loads on my 6.5 creedmoor's and my 270 Winchester with 0.020 jumps and am shooting 1 hole targets at 100 yards.

A Remington 700 BDL is not a benchrest rifle, and a facotry 30-06 is not a benchrest chamber. Alpha alone sells 4 different freebore length options for 6.5CM reamers to allow bullet seating in different ranges, and many shooters (myself included) own our own reamers specified for one particualar bullet/brass combination. Research more into throating, freebore, and chamber design, then you'll see that we're getting the 0.020" seating distance by changing SAAMI specifications in many cases, or using designs from the last ten years and not designs from 100+ years ago. The 6.5CM is a poor comparison to the 30-06 because it was purposfully designed to seat longer heavier bullets more out of the case. The 30-06 was originally specified around a 150gn Spitzer seated deep into the case, heavily focused towards reliable feeding operation from a magazine. The M1 ball round later used an ~180gn bullet.

0.020" off is just a common rule of thumb. Not being able to get it doesn't mean much.

None of this even gets into what bullet ogive you're using, and how that compares to other bullets you're shooting.

FWIW no, I wouldn't shoot those sat out that long. Push it back and find a jump that works. For this kind of case I keep at least half a caliber of bearing surface in the neck, usually more, so that I don't start having bullets move due to recoil.

Last edited: