Is the 243 the best whitetail deer cartridge?

Barrel length and muzzle device choice affects perceived "loudness" more than chambering selection.

The worst I ever rang myself up was with a braked 16" 6.5 Grendel.
For me, 30-06 with boss radial break. Up until recently I didn't want near a break for hunting. Of course I shot without hearing protection 20 years ago, but only once with that 06. It found a new home.

What would be it's range limit for deer? 250 yards?
If I remember correctly speeds were around 2900. You should be good up to 500 yards on average size deer. Anyone feel free to correct me if my math is way off. I personally shoot between 200-300 yards where I hunt and have never had an issue putting one down.

Last edited:
Is the 243 the "best" deer cartridge? There are a lot of factors involved in that question/answer, and not the least of them is range. While I have killed quite a few deer and varmints with a 243/AI and 6Rem/AI, I cannot conclude either is "the best" for deer sized game. I do enjoy their light recoil, great accuracy, and at least in my fast twists, their downrange performance within their realm. I do push their limits, but only because I have become very consistent in hitting kill zones at distance.

In the "better" realm, I lean toward my 260AI, 25's and 277's, and with a sweat spot of bias towards the 25 cals. If the ranges are shorter, say under 1/4 mile, I love the performance I have had with lighter weight and FAST 25cal bullets. If shots are longer and/or larger game is involved, then it is the 110-120's. Witnessing the impacts of fast 25's at more typical deer ranges is nothing short of DRT.

YMMV

You never told us which bullets you use in your .243. Fast expanders kill often quicker then slower expanding penetrators. Any well placed and well constructed bullet from any 6 mm upward ( many will argue for .22 centerfires), will kill any deer cleanly. It be wise to hunt the big robust northern and Canadian deer that go as heavy as 200 lbs +, with a minimum of .270 Win, or 7/08 while you Southern US much smaller deer can be safely shot with a .22 or 6mm In more open field situations. You ambush them on open fields, or do you sneak along deer/elk trails in the woods? What I am trying to say is that there are so many variables in field situations, that you got to pick your equipment to adjust to the situation. However, a good shooting 3006 is overall a much more adaptable deer gun, then your fine .243. There are many good answers to your question.
I've shot a number of weights and materials and like most. Shooting monometals this season. Only ones I've had trouble with are Cor-Lokt. Don't care for them.

Ok guys, great responses and stories. Thanks for all the good stuff. I did a quick count, counting multiple votes by the same person as full votes, i.e. if you said 243, 6.5 Creedmoor and 30-06 are all great, I gave all three a vote. I also tried to eliminate the same person voting twice for the same cartridge:

243: 25 votes
6.5 Creedmoor: 13
25-06: 13
260 Rem: 9
270 Win: 7
30-06: 6
7mm-08: 5
30-30: 4
6 mm Rem: 4
257 Roberts: 4
Also there were a number who said essentially no such thing as best, stupid question, or the 243 is like Nickelback: 8 votes. I got a kick out of those, especially the Nickelback and the creedmoor man bun, blue eyes/chaps, etc. Haha all good fun.

Plus there were a few side conversations which always entertain and add variety but did not count in the votes.

Lots of honorable mentions (1-3 votes):
222 Rem, 6.5x284, 6.5 PRC, 250 Savage, 257 Weatherby, 308, 7mm Rem mag, 6mm Weatherby, 6.5-06, 338 Federal, 32 Win Special, 300 Win Mag, 280 Rem AI and 375 H&H.

No offense intended if I missed your vote and left it off the list.

Blasphemy! 6.5 creedmore Is king of them all!......actually I don't get the hope over it and care even less

243, I have 3 M70's in 243, and my 4th M70, which is a 308, will soon be a 243, too....Dad's got a couple.... Deer meat machines....

Without reading all of the 167 posts, my $.02 is that the 243 is a great cartridge. It was my Dad's favorite for decades. As a gunsmith he had access to any caliber you can imagine and built or sold most of them. But when we hit the field he had his own-build Mauser 243, 22" bbl, with a 100 gr Hornady pushed by a case full of 4831. This combination took numbers of white tail, muley, antelope, coyotes and other critters endlessly and without fail. I've rebuilt it since I inherited it, cerakoted it, fitted a Timney trigger, dropped it into a cool Boyd laminate stock and topped off with a new Leupold 3x9. Yup, I've had or have most 25, 26, 27, 28, 30, 33, 37, 45 calibers to choose from also but this little Mauser built in 1958 is so easy to handle, easy to shoot, and drops what you hit.