Is the 243 the best whitetail deer cartridge?

I almost hate to say it, because for some odd reason I really don't like them, but a 30-30 with a heavy, soft tip, round nose bullet is probably the best deer medicine in history. Of course, this should come with the 200 yard and under disclaimer. Never liked them myself but it is hard to argue with a soft yet sizeable chunk of lead at moderate speeds. If you don't believe me, just ask any civil war soldier.

Any bonded bullet out of a 30-06 would punch through and dump less of it's original kinetic energy, sure.

A 150 grain SST out of a 30-06 hitting a deer at around 2800 fps in the boiler room is a bang flop.
Try the .308 cal. 130gr. SST out of a 30-06, it's still got plenty of mass and generally more velocity than the 150gr. SST. Hornady builds them a bit lighter too, little energy will be exiting the off side of a deer.

I've fired quite a few 130gr. SSTs out of the Garand with Varget loads worked up to 1gr. more than it takes to reliably lock open & eject the clip. Kills deer just fine, doesn't beat up the rifle and you can shoot the load out of a Garand all afternoon wearing a T-shirt & not develop a flinch.

Also, 130gr. SST has been more accurate for me than the usual 150gr. FMJ Garand loads.

30-06 is never the WRONG choice. It's just up to us to pick the correct load for our application.

I beg to differ with ya on this lol, if you go to that other thread I had about this exact topic I mention in my post you will find a lot of argument about it. Kinetic energy plays a large part in drt and a 243 transfers almost all if not all its energy most the time. 30-06 punches through therefor loses a lot of energy transfer, still has the shock sure but drt effect has been much less common in my experience compared to the 6mm. In fact if I hit boiler room with a 30-06 I'd almost guarantee that deer runs, not the same with a 243. Shoulder shot…. 30-06 would win every time I bet but that ruins a ton of meat…. To each their own but that has been my experience
I'll argue agai
I almost hate to say it, because for some odd reason I really don't like them, but a 30-30 with a heavy, soft tip, round nose bullet is probably the best deer medicine in history. Of course, this should come with the 200 yard and under disclaimer. Never liked them myself but it is hard to argue with a soft yet sizeable chunk of lead at moderate speeds. If you don't believe me, just ask any civil war soldier.
Not to nitpick but there's a difference between "the best" and "the one that's actually killed the most" haha. For sure the .30-30 has probably killed more deer than anything else (though the 30-06 might give it a run). I also suspect it was the first centerfire half the guys on this forum learned to shoot with. It was for me, still fond of my dads marlin 336. .30-30 and .303 British (being a true Canadian the lee enfield in .303 British is almost rite of passage)

Are you implying 6.5 CM blows?!

20211113_181043.jpg

Well, maybe. But a round can do that these days. If it wants.

Of the oldies but goodies: 25-06. Or, for added fun factor: 257 Weatherby.

*My context is recommendations of maximum point-blank range rifles where I'm not planning in dialing or doing long range hunting or target shooting. Just 25 yards to 400/500-ish yard shots with hold overs. 257 Weatherby was my first "long range" rifle. So simple and easy. No dialing, no massive scope. Zero at 300 yards and know your drops at 400 and 500 yards. Hold a few inches high or top of back....
I've heard that there 25.06 is very loud is that true? Or a might a lighter round like 80 gr. or 90 gr. turn down the noise?

I am surprised it took someone this long to bring up the holy grail of all calibers...... all hail lord 6.5 creedmore
Wait! I learned that the 6.5 PRC is even harder hitting and has longer reach thank the 6.5 Creed more. Do you agree?

I've heard that there 25.06 is very loud is that true? Or a might a lighter round like 80 gr. or 90 gr. turn down the noise?
I guess I have never thought of it as being a loud caliber. I wear ear protection while I shoot at the range but not while hunting. I shoot 117 grain

What would be it's range limit for deer? 250 yards?
My range limit with 243 95gr SST is 500yds, I have the velocity for bullet to still open and can deliver same energy as a 44 mag @ 50yds. I've taken a 200+ sow at 553 ranged she went 40 yds and it was a pass thru. Longest deer is 455 yds small doe again pass thru DRT. Once I get over 200 yds I almost always get a pass thru with this load and good blood, it doesn't open so violently. 150 yds and closer its usually DRT sometimes it passes thru sometimes it doesn't.

Last edited: