Is it 100 yards enough to check loads?

I have places I can go to shoot farther. I just like testing and recording results at my home range. I could then take the best home shot load, and go to a range.

So far I have been using IMR4350. But I have picked up some other stuff, and will load up some over the winter. Like to try Hunter.

I like to work up some other loads and bullets, for fun, and in case I can't get a powder or bullet, I have something ready to go. I have a good stash, but you never know. Look what happened after the last election.

I have places I can go to shoot farther. I just like testing and recording results at my home range. I could then take the best home shot load, and go to a range.

So far I have been using IMR4350. But I have picked up some other stuff, and will load up some over the winter. Like to try Hunter.

I like to work up some other loads and bullets, for fun, and in case I can't get a powder or bullet, I have something ready to go. I have a good stash, but you never know. Look what happened after the last election.

30-06 and IMR 4350 are like peas and carrots. I've been mess'in with Berger 168 CH's with that powder. I was using Winchester primers because I have quite a few. Almost all groups were fair but not great so I took the best load (56.0 gr.) and did a primer test. CCI's were so-so. Rem 9-1/2's were better and I thought they'd be the ones to use but Federal 210M's really made that load shine. I'm sure standard Federal 210's would be just as good but I haven't tried them yet. 2738 fps.

I like Lyman manuals and Nosler site, they give their most accurate load. I realize it might not be for everyone. IMR4350 is it. Surprising out of all the powder. I'd like to try some ball powder that measures better.

I have been using WLR, every manual has them for 30-06. I find it interesting though they all have Remington 9 1/2 for .243, my other rifle. I haven't hunted with it, just shot paper so far.

Shot around 200 30-06. Cadwell portable bench with 50lbs of corn for a bag. Not doing as great at 100 yards as I would like. Leupold scopes, but sometimes I click up, then back down. Not sure what is going on. Me, or something else. I checked rings. After season will check bases.

Going to build a heavy table, and shooting vise, and find out if it is me. Also going to go back to 50, and check groups. 50 made me feel good about myself. Ha.

Really bothering me that I am getting a flyer on alot of groups. I realize at 100 yards target is pretty small at 7 or 10 power.

Cabelas mounted one of my scopes with shims in the ring. I didn't realize what they were for, and put 2 scopes on with a low back ring. Either packaged wrong or they grabbed wrong bases but the rear base was wrong. Worried I tweaked my new scope. Never going to let a store mount my scopes. I have since bought alignment rods. I really like them.

1/4 click just doesn't seem to be working. I end up going back and splitting the difference. Next year will build something to tie the gun down and find out for sure.

Hi Zerk,

IMR-4350 is excellent powder.

I think you're doing the right thing by doing a lot of shooting.

You have the definitive North American big game cartridge. When I got in to big game hunting, I was steered toward the .270 Win because the '06 was too much gun for a young hunter. I have no regrets. I've killed a lot of bucks with my .270 Win. But had I had gone with an '06, I wouldn't have needed another rifle.

I mount my own scopes. I like Warne rings. I don't like big objective scopes because they have to be mounted higher. I like my objectives to be mounted as close to my rifles' barrels as possible.

There are many reasons for fliers. Trying to isolate cause can be a long endeavor.

You might want to try a Lead Sled. I'm not a fan of them but they do have utility. I will use one to assure my rifle groups. Then I'll go with this set up: The Rock

I used to hunt with a guy who used H-4831 in his '06. He got consistent results. I used IMR-4350 with 150 grain bullets in my 7MM Rem Mag. It'll shoot dime-size groups.

Keep shooting. Shoot some more. Familiarity with one's rifle builds confidence. Another old hunter's saying: the hunter with one rifle knows how to shoot it.

While I have more rifles than I need, when I'm hunting I carrying my 43+ year old .270 Win. That gun will shoot tiny groups.

One last point: your .243 Win is a legendary cartridge. It kills a whole lot deader than one would assume. When I was a kid, one of the hunters in our deer camp had Remington build a custom rifle for him in .243 Win. That was one accurate rifle. He shot a crow flying a couple hundreds yards above him with it. A rifle that shoots that good will kill elk and moose.

Zerk,

From real life experience I think you are going the wrong direction with trying to control the rifle. I tried that with a .223 varmint rifle and a 10/22.

The .223 fired 10 shots into an .870" group at 200 yards when I fired them from the bench holding it lightly. Then I fired ten more shots with it confined. The group more than doubled to an even 2". The 10/22 always does 5/8" at 50 yards with Yellow Jackets. Same two scenarios. 5/8" for five held loosely and 1 1/2" confined.

Core looks were had grouped a couple times touching. I was going back and forth.

Before this bench, I sighted in at 50 yards with a kitchen chair a bipod, with great group. 50 is not 100 though.

Can someone tighten a scope enough to damage it? I am worried about the wrong bases Cabela installed. After season will go back to 50 to check and practice.

Under 50 yards I would neck shoot deer, but I don't have that confidence right now.

Recorded in my log, 1.5" triangle with pump 760, and last 2 with 116 savage 2" a part. All shots in the black. Probably need more practice. Though 2 days before I though I had some perfect shots, that were not. Yesterday I let barrel cool 20-30 minutes between groups instead of 5-10.

Need to load up lots of ammo over winter. Maybe switch too Hornady interlocks, 1/2 price of partions.

Going to get spitting scope and check between shots. That may give me insight into what I am doing wrong.

If you have any doubt about the scope base and rings, the time to check is now. It is not hard, especially if you have a friend with an inch-pound torque wrench. If not, you may be able to get one through one of the auto parts stores loaner program. Word of caution - Make SURE it is Inch-Pounds, not Foot-Pounds!

Take the top half off the rings, take the rings off the base, then remove the base. You can look up the torque specs for your brand, or use the following general guidelines: Bases 40 Inch-Lb, ring to base 30 Inch-Lb, Ring tops 20 Inch-Lb.

Some like to use blue Loctite on the base screws. I don't find the need for it, but your rifle, your call.

You need to KNOW that your scope is not moving before you can progress. If the scope is not secure, you are chasing ghosts. If your groups tighten up after re-mounting your scope you will feel a lot better about what you have done. If you are hand loading and the scope is loose, you don't know if the dispersion if from the load or the scope.

One other thing, I would torque my action screws too. You can get that from the manufacturers website. There is a good thread in this forum with generalized torque specs. That would be a good place to start..

FWIW

I have fat max torque wrench. I don't want to touch my scope, deer season starts next Tuesday. I torqued when I installed. After season will re-check the base. I have the values for Leupold, not the same as those.

I have wondered if it makes a difference taking the top ring off and then putting back on.

After cleaning my scope lenses, I held the gun up and realized the cross hairs are not level. I usually uses levels and plumb bob, but this one I swapped back and forth at camp. I have been shooting it on bench and never noticed until I shouldered it.

I am thinking this explains why the adjustments don't seem right. I saved and wrote down where it is hitting. Not sure I will be able to even see an 1" on deer at hundred yards.

I had been adjusting, going to far, then splitting the difference. It may be 10 degrees off, CCW.
Next year will have to fix it.

My MK85 is shooting nice, and is a virgin. I may double gun it in the blind.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.