Is it 100 yards enough to check loads?

Zerk

My range is 100 yards. Is that enough to tell you what load to go with when working them up?

I hunt in UP which is hard to even find 30 yards to shoo, for deer or bear. Though this year I extended my shooting lane, after watching where the deer had been traveling. I think I am 100-150, maybe now.

I also like to work up loads, I may use some day. If I can't get a bullet or powder I want, or just for the heck of it.

At some point I would like to go to a range and try farther. Would you pick the best load you had at 100 yards, or still include some of the lesser loads?

Thanks.

Mostly 30-06, but I did buy a 243 fool with.

I grew up in SE Texas, and I got to shoot hogs at Negaunee a couple years back. The country looks "the same" except for a few plants. I loved it there, but to answer your question, for where you are at, YES. To "hedge your bet" for a log road/pipeline "long shot"( it took me 20yrs to get a shot past 90 steps in SE Texas!) , just zero to hit +1" high at 100. Hold spot on and out around 300 just hold high up on the shoulder area. I saw two does there that looked as big as big jackasses! wow! Stick with the 30-06, ha!

I am asking would you take your best 100 yard load, and practice that.

I have never shot a deer over 40 yards. Maybe this year will get the chance. Also they are logging in the area, so it may someday happen.

100 yards is ok for load development if your only shooting a couple hundred yards. Sounds like for your situation it should be fine. If you used a chronygragh in conjunction with the 100 yard shooting looking for a load that gives you single digit SD you could stretch its legs. It's tough to work up loads at 100 yards without the crony graph for long range shooting your vertical spread will very likely be very bad unless you get lucky.

I don't need it where I hunt. But if I ever go out west, I'd like to have so loads worked up. Then go to the range and sight in at farther ranges, and do so practicing at this ranges.

If you're using the 30-06 with a 165 gr. to 180 gr. bullet and zero to 3 inches high at 100 yards you should be good out to 300 yards with only about a 5 inch drop. Hold right behind the shoulder and center of a deer or bear and you've got meat with that 30-06.

I got Nikons spoton calculator on my phone, and go to their website. Which is why I wanted to know if I could judge my load at 100 yards, and then look up path.

Alot of people I know, do 2" high, to be on at 200. For my hunting needs now, I do 1" puts me on around 150, and still good to 225, with 180 grain. I have never shot a deer over 40 yards yet. Usually less.

I always figure that +1"@100 to work out to about a 150yd zero, with standard calibers. I have used that particular zero the majority of my life and hunts. I like to be able to 'thread a shot" through a tiny opening in the woods/brush and I can do "ok" with +2", but a +3" has given me problems hitting limbs. Out West here in the mountains, prairies, savannahs of Namibia even, I have shot 'over" more game in my lifetime than I ever shot "under". In that 30-06, you could zero at 75yds and be fine the rest of your life! if you ever do get out west, its no stretch to zero +3" if you just want to. Heck, even antelope live where they can be stalked under 200yds. Good luck to you Pard.

Is 100 yds enough? Sure. Even out to 150 or 200. You go to 3 or 400 and it's an big unknown. Sounds like you know your area and what your up against. If you get some kind of weird shot a 400 that you haven't confirmed with your rifle yet, not taking the shot only makes sense. Who hasn't passed on a shot for one reason or another? The 'ol -06 is a beautiful choice. If your bust'in at 40 yards, it's because your a great hunter.

......I am asking would you take your best 100 yard load, and practice that............

You can get a lot done at 100 yards. Find which high BC bullet groups best, a good chronograph to verify fps, and variations, something to give you good enviromental data, verify your scope tracks with a tall target, and box test.

At some point though you'll have to verify every thing at distance, but with good programs a lot can be inferred from just a couple of valid points., and good inputs.

Mike 338;1246577If your bust'in at 40 yards said:
The woods are so thick here, and rolling hills, that is just what the shooting is round here.

I am trying different loads right now, and recording how they do. If I ever go out west, or hunt farm country, I'd like to know I got a load I can use.

Is 100 yds enough? Sure. Even out to 150 or 200. You go to 3 or 400 and it's an big unknown. Sounds like you know your area and what your up against. If you get some kind of weird shot a 400 that you haven't confirmed with your rifle yet, not taking the shot only makes sense. Who hasn't passed on a shot for one reason or another? The 'ol -06 is a beautiful choice. If your bust'in at 40 yards, it's because your a great hunter.
This is what i have found as well.
I have seen sub MOA loads fall completely apart at 400.
If all I had was 100 yards to check loads, I would definetly incorporate a Chrony checking for ES. If you are hunting brush country I agree with the others. Go 2" high at 100 and get after it..

I always sight in at a hundred yards. Once I'm dialed in, I'll burn powder on metal out to 300 yards although I've rang steel much father. But for me (I have physical issues that were caused by reckless youth) 400 yards under absolutely perfect conditions is my max distance, give or take a few yards.

A gust of wind at the wrong time might mean a dead doe or cow as opposed to a dead buck or bull.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.