InReach

idcwby

Been looking at the InReach's and seeing if anyone knows the if the Garmin InReach will message the Spot InReach? Haven't had any luck researching it.

Supposedly it can as long as it's a two way capable but it's a process to setup the chain. We tried last year as one of our radio group guys went spot instead of inreach, I think 3 out of five of us got it to work.

Supposedly it can as long as it's a two way capable but it's a process to setup the chain. We tried last year as one of our radio group guys went spot instead of inreach, I think 3 out of five of us got it to work.
That's what I'm afraid of, don't want something that is a pain to setup.

I've never had any trouble messaging between the two, you just need to have the device phone number for the other person and you're good to go. There is a considerable delay between one person sending and the other receiving messages but that's present anyways with satellite devices

What was causing it not to work?

It's not that the device doesn't work, it's the digital trail it has to follow in order to move. Where I'm at we have a pretty standard hr delay sometimes less but just as often more. My theory is the different apps time out on some level. Might work better in the better coverage areas. I noticed when I used it in up the snake River canyon, it didn't have the same delay everything might mesh a bit better.

It's not that the device doesn't work, it's the digital trail it has to follow in order to move. Where I'm at we have a pretty standard hr delay sometimes less but just as often more. My theory is the different apps time out on some level. Might work better in the better coverage areas. I noticed when I used it in up the snake River canyon, it didn't have the same delay everything might mesh a bit better.
I understand that. I currently have a sat phone and I was able to send a text to my dads InReach, but I never received one back. That's part of the reason of looking into them and it seems everyone else has one anymore.

I'm a huge fan of the InReach. I'm old and hurt alone in the Big Horns. My family throws a fit. No cell phone. I tried Sat Phones. They were iffy at best, running around in blowing snow trying to get a clear view of the sky, nothing but dropped calls. With the InReach I set in the warm tent texting. Wife loves it, every text comes with a map showing exactly where I am.
I live in Wyoming where if you get out of town you don't have cell service. I drove to Fairbanks and back. My cell doesn't work in Canada, InReach does.

For those who don't know InReach connects to you phone via Bluetooth. You don't need cell service, works even in airplane mode. Want to know where you're at. Just hit the Map (on the phone) and you can see.

Anyone who leaves the house needs an InReach IMO. Got one for the wife also. She runs into snow bank she can text me instead of hiking for who know how far to find a ranch with a land line.

Sorry for the long winded post, I don't sell them so this isn't a sales pitch but maybe it just might save some fellow hunters hide some day.

Forgot to answer the question, when the receiving party gets a text for another phone number not yours, multiple text get different numbers not your number. To answer a text the caller has to use that number, not your cell number.
Someone else can't text you until you text them first.
If you plan on exchanging texts, start the text with InReach. Then they came answer your text at any time.

I'm a huge fan of the InReach. I'm old and hurt alone in the Big Horns. My family throws a fit. No cell phone. I tried Sat Phones. They were iffy at best, running around in blowing snow trying to get a clear view of the sky, nothing but dropped calls. With the InReach I set in the warm tent texting. Wife loves it, every text comes with a map showing exactly where I am.
I live in Wyoming where if you get out of town you don't have cell service. I drove to Fairbanks and back. My cell doesn't work in Canada, InReach does.

For those who don't know InReach connects to you phone via Bluetooth. You don't need cell service, works even in airplane mode. Want to know where you're at. Just hit the Map (on the phone) and you can see.

Anyone who leaves the house needs an InReach IMO. Got one for the wife also. She runs into snow bank she can text me instead of hiking for who know how far to find a ranch with a land line.

Sorry for the long winded post, I don't sell them so this isn't a sales pitch but maybe it just might save some fellow hunters hide some day.
Great write up. I've been waiting for them to go on sale. Have heard nothing but good things about them. I have the SPOT emergency/SOS tracker thing. Besides a couple pre programmed messages I haven't Used it much. I like the idea of being able to send text messages when I'm out on my own with the Inreach device

What is the difference between the Inreach and the inreach 2? I haven't spent a lot of time reading but they seem to be pretty similar. Is the 2 worth an extra $50?

Don't think anyone is debating the value of a spot/inreach/zoleo devices. The question was does it two way with a spot.

Asked my crewman who did it how it was linked. He was hazy but said it linked up via the Garmin login settings via and it used the ([email protected]) method to send to the equivalent on a spot as opposed to the number that shows up on the cell phone interface.

I've had an inReach mini for several years. I really like it and depend on it. Like was mentioned above, I do everything from my phone (in airplane mode) and never have to do much with the device. It has always worked, every time I send a message. Also, you can have it attach your coordinates to the message. I've not had to use the SOS feature thankfully. Get one.
Bob

I had the inReach mini for a couple of years and then went with the 66i because I wanted the ability to use maps more easily. I don't think I ever tried with my mini but when I was hunting with a buddy that has a Spot I didn't get any of his messages and he didn't get any of mine. I'm not sure why or how or what was going. I just know it didn't work. It wasn't the end of the world for us. I bought my inReach so I can go hunt alone and give my wife some peace of mind.