InReach

Forgot to answer the question, when the receiving party gets a text for another phone number not yours, multiple text get different numbers not your number. To answer a text the caller has to use that number, not your cell number.
Someone else can't text you until you text them first.
If you plan on exchanging texts, start the text with InReach. Then they came answer your text at any time.
I don't believe that to be entirely true. My inReach number is always the same I've texted my wife and myself and others and my number is always the same.

My experience is limited to a work provided Garmin in reach .
I used it as a line worker an out requirements were different.
We mostly sent an I'm ok message every 2 hours.

We could send and receive text and it was Via Satellite not dependent on cell reception

The thing we were told was texting an email were expensive and charged per character. Set messages were set rate.

The good thing is if it's all registered etc someone can login off a computer and track you movements if you allow it.

For device to device it should work if you know the cell no for the next device but assuming it's going to lag at times being satellite dependent.

The thing we were told was texting an email were expensive and charged per character. Set messages were set rate.
There are a lot of different plans that charge monthly or yearly and monthly, they range from $14-maybe $100. The lower ones are per message and the highest one is unlimited. It all comes down to how you want to use it driving the decision for how much to spend. I pay a yearly fee of like $130 to be able to turn it on and off and I buy the unlimited plan from September 1st through January 31st, paid for monthly.

For device to device it should work if you know the cell no for the next device but assuming it's going to lag at times being satellite dependent.
Like I said in my previous post, this wasn't my experience when messaging a SPOT. Going inReach to inReach, I can imagine that it would work just fine. This was a couple of years ago and I'm pretty sure my buddy still hasn't received the messages I sent him. I was able to message my wife and cell phones at the time so my inReach was sending messages. There was something else going on there and I'm not sure what it was. Someone else earlier said that it may have to go more via email than via phone number.

I let my more tech say guys do the interfacing and they said they had to manually input the contact in. The spot needed the name.inreach.garmin and the Garmin/inreach needed the spot specific number. My address was still a inreach.delorme when we tried it (my account predated Garmin acquisition and only updated recently.) I'll say this, inreach to inreach is faster than jumping platforms. We added zoleo for weather as it can update a weather chart app with its 900 character load and we've tried texting each other on the same boat with long lines delays.

Don't know how it's possible digitally but I usually leave the unit on three days after the end of the season and then let it sit for weeks to months and invariably some random texts that never came in will be waiting on the next startup. But hey it's still an awesome service.

Great write up. I've been waiting for them to go on sale. Have heard nothing but good things about them. I have the SPOT emergency/SOS tracker thing. Besides a couple pre programmed messages I haven't Used it much. I like the idea of being able to send text messages when I'm out on my own with the Inreach device

What is the difference between the Inreach and the inreach 2? I haven't spent a lot of time reading but they seem to be pretty similar. Is the 2 worth an extra $50?
I was told InReach 2 has a better battery.

I got an InReach SE+. If you buy a used one off eBay, like I did, make sure it's not tied to an account before you buy it., learned that the hard way. I haven't got to play with it much, but I'm guessing you use the email to talk to other InReach's?

I got an InReach SE+. If you buy a used one off eBay, like I did, make sure it's not tied to an account before you buy it., learned that the hard way. I haven't got to play with it much, but I'm guessing you use the email to talk to other InReach's?
I think inReach to inReach is a little different. I think what you have to do is send to the inReach address. It's like an email, it's @inreach.garmin.com. So I guess, you could say it's your Garmin email.

I think inReach to inReach is a little different. I think what you have to do is send to the inReach address. It's like an email, it's @inreach.garmin.com. So I guess, you could say it's your Garmin email.
That's what I was meaning. I guess I didn't specify that very good.

Recent Posts