I want, but do I really need a 300 WSM?

BoatTail

Over the last 3 years I've had to have several surgeries on my neck, right shooting shoulder and bicept. All three of the Surgeons told me that I could not shoot anything more than a 22 for several months after each surgery and could start no earlier than 4 to 6 weeks after the surgery. So I put my 28 Nosler in the safe, but being defiant, I immediately started thinking about a lighter, less recoil, long range rifle. I was hoping I could find some way to squeeze hunts in between the surgeries, I hatched a plan to build a pair of long throated 7mm and 270 WSM rifles with extended magazine boxes and shoot 140 gr bullets. I know, it was foolish thinking I could drop down just a few foot pounds of recoil from my 28 Nosler and have it make a difference in preventing damage to my repairs, but what can I say I was defiant and looking for a miracle. I purchased a Hyskore DLX Precision Shooting Rest with Remote Triggering so I could do load development without imacting my healing, this is what I found. Both were extremely accurate with the Hornady ELD-X bullets, and Reloader 26 pixie dust. I got higher levels of performance than I had expected from looking looking at the various reloading manuals without excessive pressure. I later bumped the 7WSM up to 162 grain ELD-X and it outperformed my 7 Remington Mag with the same bullet. Perhaps it's time to do load development with the newer powders for my 7 Remington Mag. So bottom line, I fell in love with these fat short cased WSMs. Now I'm considering the 300 WSM with a longer throat and magazine As I said I don't need it but I want one. Your thoughts?

Over the last 3 years I've had to have several surgeries on my neck, right shooting shoulder and bicept. All three of the Surgeons told me that I could not shoot anything more than a 22 for several months after each surgery and could start no earlier than 4 to 6 weeks after the surgery. So I put my 28 Nosler in the safe, but being defiant, I immediately started thinking about a lighter, less recoil, long range rifle. I was hoping I could find some way to squeeze hunts in between the surgeries, I hatched a plan to build a pair of long throated 7mm and 270 WSM rifles with extended magazine boxes and shoot 140 gr bullets. I know, it was foolish thinking I could drop down just a few foot pounds of recoil from my 28 Nosler and have it make a difference in preventing damage to my repairs, but what can I say I was defiant and looking for a miracle. I purchased a Hyskore DLX Precision Shooting Rest with Remote Triggering so I could do load development without imacting my healing, this is what I found. Both were extremely accurate with the Hornady ELD-X bullets, and Reloader 26 pixie dust. I got higher levels of performance than I had expected from looking looking at the various reloading manuals without excessive pressure. I later bumped the 7WSM up to 162 grain ELD-X and it outperformed my 7 Remington Mag with the same bullet. Perhaps it's time to do load development with the newer powders for my 7 Remington Mag. So bottom line, I fell in love with these fat short cased WSMs. Now I'm considering the 300 WSM with a longer throat and magazine As I said I don't need it but I want one. Your thoughts?
You're going to take a considerable step up in felt recoil with the 30 cal unless you're shooting light for caliber bullets. WIth your neck issues that might be at least somewhat problematic unless you compensate for it with a good suppressor or brake, mercury recoil reducer and/limbsaver or Pachmayr recoil pad.

I'm lucky I have similar neck issues and have not notice recoil really being a big problem for me even with my Rum's and 375 Rugers but you might want to think on it before taking the big jump.

Personally I'd stay with the 300wm if I wanted to move back up in caliber but that's just me. The only thing the WSM does the WM doesn't is fit into a shorter action. Keep in mind though that the WSM's have more feeding issues than the WM.

I'm a magnum person, but competitive range shooting got to me with age and like surgeries. For cold weather I have a shooting winter padded coat. Summer I have tried a few things like this. 30-378, 7 stw, 338 Lapua, 458 win mag have been by notable mags.

Amazon product ASIN B0013R8J48

Get it but definitely a good brake to almost eliminate recoil. Or as I encouraged my dad when he had his surgery was to down grade to much smaller caliber for a season to be sure all is healed and not cause damage and not be able to shoot at all. Some things are not worth chancing. My dad is 73 now and is glad he sized down and still out there knocking them down. He found he had a liking for smaller and faster calibers that he did not know he had.

Be safe

Thanks

Buck

I, too, have had numerous shoulder, neck and hand surgeries.
The thing I noticed with recoil, even on smaller chamberings, it is accumulative and I can't shoot as many rounds as I did before the surgery.
I slowly worked back to shooting my big bores. When I first fired my double rifle in 500 Nitro, I was pleasantly surprised it felt the same as before….but holding it at 16lbs had my arm muscles quivering after only 15 or so seconds.
I don't have that issue now, and can still fire a 505 Gibbs with the same discomfort as before!
I find the rap with WSM's about the same as their bigger brothers, so I think if you can shoot those without issue then you're good to go with a 300WSM.

Cheers.

Ohhh…you NEED it! 😁

The heavier you go on the front side, the heavier the feel on the back side. I'd be looking smaller diameter, not larger, in your shoes - looking at the long run. Depending on lots of factors around those repairs and your lifestyle. Everything adds up. (Speaking from the perspective of whiplash type neck injury from 35 years ago, amongst various younger years activities, and it talking to me more and more lately.) (adding - potential gun mods too - brakes are good juju in the respect too)

Last edited:
Whatever route you go may I recommend a LimbSaver recoil pad? After 3 back surgeries they enable me to still keep shooting up through a .45-70 with no issues. Also, let's me go through 2 - 3 boxes of shells with a 12 gauge shooting trap. (Of course that's using a semiauto)

Get it! Every house needs NICE ART ( incase you find it too much). Heck...our part time Drama teacher now highly qualified Prime Minister has filled the homes here in Canada with new Art collections! They used to be valuable guns!

Recent Posts