I want a new 338 bullet!!!

Thanks for the help guy's I knew it was more simple than I was making it!

Another question this brings to mind is about where is a realistic cut off for bullet velocity and energy? Which is going to have greater effect on bullet performance or expansion?
1800 fps seems to be the standard. As far as energy, these guys building bullets seem to be more concerned with bullet expansion and velocity. Most guys use 1000 ft lbs as the standard.

I do all the number crunching and verifying bullet drops and BCs too. Then I go and shoot the first critter I see at rock throwing range on opening day and realize that I could hunt with full wad cutters and it wouldn't make a difference at the ranges I actually hunt at! LOL

I hear that yorke! I do 90% of my killing with a stick and string (traditional bow) and just always have that get close mentality and spirit of Ishi!
On the other hand I love shooting far and precise with rifles. So even though I've never taken a shot at game further than 400 yrds I want to be capable of shooting a 1000 yrds...though I may never kill anything but rocks and paper at that distance

I agree with the 1800fps. We test all of our bullets to function below 1800 but advertise 1800fps as min. It is the only place that I inflict my opinion on our customers. I don't think terminal performance below 1800fps is reliable for clean kills with any bullet.

Energy is a secondary number that is somewhat arbitrary in my opinion. It is a nice number to look at when comparing bullets on paper.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.