I shot some 60 gr Aguila SSS Sniper Subsonic Ammunition today.

CatShooter

This stuff has been around for a while, but a bit hard to get.

It's a 60 grain bullet in a 22 short case, with a tiny pinch of powder.

I have been interested in it, but I heard that you need a 9" twist barrel... which I didn't have.

I saw that Midway carried it, so I bought two boxes and tried them in my 40XB rimfire rifle and they are great. They fly at 850fps, and you can watch them fly down the range if the light is right.

My rifle has a 14" twist.

They are accurate enough to hit 2" rocks at 100 yds.

VERY QUIET!!

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=135961

I had a box of them awhile back. Seemed to shoot okay until i tried to dispatch some chickens in my friends backyard for dinner. The bullets were literally bouncing off the chickens heads. It would knock them over and then they would jump back up and take off again. A few of the super maximum bullets fixed that problem. I bought them for quiet work around the house and have opted for the super colibri instead.

[ QUOTE ]
"... The bullets were literally bouncing off the chickens heads. It would knock them over and then they would jump back up and take off again.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't pull the trigger hard enough!!

How does a 60 grain bullet at 850 fps bounce off a chicken's head??

Even a 25 Auto piston (50gr at 800fps), will blow it clean off.

I shot a squirrel in the head with a 25 auto pistol, and it left a real mess.

I"ve killed quite a few cats with a .177 and .22 caliber pellet rifles by shooting them in the head. Range was only about 10 yards, but..

I dont see how it could bounce of there head either..??

I got three bricks of the stuff. I was going to order a 9 twist barrel from Brownells for the 10-22 and make a 300 yard squirrl gun. This post is reminding me what I've neglected to do.

I shot them out of an old Rem bolt gun and the accuracy was good. At 10 yards it did an in and out on a feline with little to no expansion. But it did the job.

I'm gonna build an Encore barrel with a 1-8 or 1-9 twist , 16" long and I'm gonna make a suppressor for it. Mainly for pest control in a neighborhood.

I've shot the SSS out of a marlin bolt action and accuracy fell of at about 20yds and the bullet keyholed at 50 , BUT they would hit in a 3" group and I did shoot a couple cats with them at 40-50yds and it killed them dead and passed through each time.

I'm also making a 45 Rowland barrel for the same reason gonna try to shoot some big heavy cast bullets out at as fast as possible wich should be well under 1000fps yet have plenty of punch for bigger varmints yet still work with a supperssor

I recieved my Volquartsen 9 twist barrel for my Ruger 10/22, Tally 1 piece ring/base, and a Fajen adjustable Legacy stock. The barrel shank is turned for a very tight fit to the reciever, and needed a couple blows with the rubber mallet to seat it. I epoxy bedded the bases and screws to the reciever(past experience showed blue lock tite was not enough to keep screws tight on a 10/22 reciever). I worked the trigger to a safe and usable condition. Then dropped it in the Fajen. A quick test fire, and now she's ready for a scope.

Thats the problem, What should I mount that will give me the necessary adjustment out to say 3-400 yards? 1" tube with no moa in the mounts. This after all is a rimfire and the scope price cap is about $300.

I may mount a junker for now just to see how it shoots. Update to follow.

Might use a SWFA Super sniper... I hear they have a bunch of elevation.

Also, mount your scope in Burris "Signature ZEE" rings. these will allow you to mount the scope with a downward tilt so you have all of your elevation as "up".
I use these rimgs on most of my rifles.

My 40X rimfire has a Leupold 6.5-20 EFR on it, and by using these rings, I have all of the 42 moa of up available, and I can get to 290 yds with Rem subsonic hollow points.

Catshooter, I have the same EFR on a 280, nice scopes. I agree about the Burris rings, I have them on a couple of guns. I just like the tally one piece set up on a 10/22, It's nice and compact looking.

I was paging through a mag last night and seen an ad for the pride/fowler rapid reticle, I'm going to check out the site and see what it's about.

they shoot well in my rem 597. they stink real bad, foul up the silencer, and jam alot.... they also have about twice the drop compared to rem subsonics for some reason. i didnt think there was that big of a difference in speed. subsonics drop 3" and the SSS drop almost 7... i bet the longer heavier bullet will be more predictable at longer ranges, but i cant even hit the cats at 100 with my ultra-junk $15 scope, so i just use the rem's for now. anyone know of a decent, cheaper scope and rings for the 597? can you get rings that use the dovetail or will i have to use a raised mount?

I couldn't tell much of a difference between those sss and the rem subsonic in noise level through my aac suppressor. I would save the money on the those 60grainers and shoot something else. fun post to read, and I to don't know how a bullet like that bounces off of a chickens head????

Maybe it's not stabilized? Would a flopping 60 grain bullet make it through skin an skull? I would think it should, but maybe since it's so long it has too much area...

I've actually been quite impressed with the terminal effect of the SSS's, I've shot several bunnies and similar sized vermin with em' and they have all been literally rolled by em'. Pretty darn accurate out to 75yds or so too. They are kind of tricky to feed even in a bolt action though, that long nose tends to get bent up when it hits the feed ramp if you try to go to fast, but other than that, I like em'.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.