Hunting has changed

Oh and it's great paying tens of thousands of dollars in those bs Pittman or whatever guns and ammo tax while you never hunt on public land ever.

I hope this thread does some good, things have changed, some of it is distressing.
Hunter numbers are down, wildlife habitat is changing from a more wild setting to farmland. I have little experience with the latter( other than my own) I am a spot and stalk hunter.
I am not cognisant of some of the terms I see on here, maybe because I live in a mountain province. My point overall is hu ting practices have changed, game animals have adapted to industry better then I could of predicted. What is next?
My hope is we restrain development, and somehow leave the landscape alone- especially the sheep ranges.
Sheep country is some of the most beautiful on planet earth. You cannot put a dollar value on it,imo....Cheers and God Bless

Lol you don't know anything about me. Keep assuming.

Sounds like I might be cutting a little close to home for some.

Not at all. It just amazes me that for some reason you think you have more right to hunt land that isn't yours than someone else. If ur so called idiots arent breaking the law leave them alone and let them have fun.

Since you infer you make so much money may I suggest you buy your own ground. I'd be happy to sell you some at an outlandish price.

I hope this thread does some good, things have changed, some of it is distressing.
Hunter numbers are down, wildlife habitat is changing from a more wild setting to farmland. I have little experience with the latter( other than my own) I am a spot and stalk hunter.
I am not cognisant of some of the terms I see on here, maybe because I live in a mountain province. My point overall is hu ting practices have changed, game animals have adapted to industry better then I could of predicted. What is next?
My hope is we restrain development, and somehow leave the landscape alone- especially the sheep ranges.
Sheep country is some of the most beautiful on planet earth. You cannot put a dollar value on it,imo....Cheers and God Bless

Well the good news is that we are the third most populas country in the world, but only 50% of our land mass is inhabitied. Habitation includes guys who have a family of 5 but own 250 acres, so America is a lot more desolete than we think. It ends up being 87 people/square mile, but a lot more people a densely packed into major cities like houston, dallas, atlanta, nyc, and all those california cities.

Not at all. It just amazes me that for some reason you think you have more right to hunt land that isn't yours than someone else. If ur so called idiots arent breaking the law leave them alone and let them have fun.

Since you infer you make so much money may I suggest you buy your own ground. I'd be happy to sell you some at an outlandish price.
Putting words in my mouth and doing more assuming about me lol

I don't even shoot bucks. But people bitch about not seeing big ones. Especially on the east coast. And I gave valid reasons why.

Hey guys, let's not get personal here.
Wildlife management is an issue we all struggle with.
How we go forward with it is a tough one and being silent with the managers of public lands is not an option, imo. Hunter numbers are decreasing and we need some new ideas. We need lots of dialogue.
Hunting is our heritage.Bighorn Hunting is cherished. Cheers

Putting words in my mouth and doing more assuming about me lol

I don't even shoot bucks. But people bitch about not seeing big ones. Especially on the east coast. And I gave valid reasons why.

you "valid reasons" are why we are conversing

Hey guys, let's not get personal here.
Wildlife management is an issue we all struggle with.
How we go forward with it is a tough one and being silent with the managers of public lands is not an option, imo. Hunter numbers are decreasing and we need some new ideas. We need lots of dialogue.
Hunting is our heritage.Bighorn Hunting is cherished. Cheers

It seems Hunting is becoming a rich mans sport more and more every year. I can remember when I heard they outlawed trapping in Colorado. I was shocked. But after being in and around Denver numerous times I get it. Society has degraded severely and it trickles into every aspect of our lives.

Mach1, the urban mindset is our problem too. Our provincial government changed, and hence immediately cancelled our Grizzly hunts. There is no shortage of bears, purely politics.
They are numerous and get into our barns, chicken houses etc. In one case a few years ago a homeowner shot one in his kitchen. This was in the town of Kimberly. These bears have killed off the black bear population.
City folks ...

Well, while some facts brought up in this thread are depressing, particularly loss of habitat for many reasons.

But the good is that there are wildlife professionals in each state that try their best to manage game and habitat and hunting pressure and political pressure placed by developers. What hunting we have we largely owe to their efforts.

Eric B.

These days the biggest rams live on mine claims and in Parks. Hunters wanting a B&C class ram hunt the boundaries and every year 2 or 3 ,180" + rams are taken like this. ( 180" is minimum for Boone and Crockett) Bighorn Rams don't get the growth ordinarily in other , wilder country within this vicinity.

I'm from a different generation I guess. I remember it being like that since I started hunting in the mid 90's. Over the years, I have enjoyed hundreds of days in the Alberta's fabled WMU 438. In that time, I've seen habitat decrease, mine footprint increase but most dangerous of all seems to be access. There are roads EVERYWHERE. Thanks to oil and gas development and forestry, it's like an all access pass to anyone with a vehicle.

Few places are truly remote anymore... On the upside, bush planes are safer than horses

Hand skills -it is key that these exploration roads are closed to motor vehicle traffic...in my view, they couldn't close enough of them. The motorsports lobby is a strong one, many are respectful but so many just RIP and tear.
I have seen them in Alpine basins , rutting it up.
I belong to the B.H.A. chapter here, all the members are devoted hunters. I was skeptical at first but at least they attempt to speak for us. Conspiracy theories are abundant, and our local R & G club are chiefly atver's. I will stick with BHA until I see something definitive I don't like

It appears politics are more and more determining wildlife policy here in CO. That seems to originate in the liberal front range -Denver- primarily. They're allowing us two bear tags now and I received an email from CPW offering tips on bear hunting and urging people to get a second tag. No hounds and no spring bear hunting appeared to be entirely due to political pressure. Now we have too many bears and they can't get enough of them killed to keep them at target levels. There's a push on the front range to reintroduce wolves here... on the Flattops in the middle of the white river national forest- home to the highest concentration of elk in the world. SOB's behind this are mostly out of state organizations I'm told. Perhaps the time for civil disobedience is coming to western CO; shoot, shovel and shut up.

Wow, introducing wolves...Why? Black bears kill elk calves, just like the Grizzlies. I am going to hunt wolves after the general fall season, they are so quick and always know you are there,imo. Not many are shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.