Hunting has changed

I would almost give my left ..., well almost give, just to have a somewhat regular chance to hunt elk, sheep, goats and mule deer like most of you talk about doing. Work, family, money and other obligations have to come first, but a guy can dream and wish that one day just maybe that chance will come.

I too grew up hunting and started at an early age, flips/sling shots, air rifles, home made bows, etc. Followed my dad from the age of 5 as he tried to stay up with the pointer bird dogs that could out run a horse to the next covey of quail. We could hunt in one direction from the house until lunch or so and hunt a different route back or just hit the road at dark and walk back home. Not any more, back then we would be on several different property owners, now 9 out of 10 would have you arrested for setting foot on them. The quail are gone now so it makes no difference, but the same goes for deer or Turkey hunting, no body wants you on their property or they have leased it out to the highest bidder. Yes, hunting has changed due to several factors including money, greed and mind set. No longer does sportsmanship prevail in most cases, by that I mean in years gone by if we went to so and so's place to hunt and someone was already there, we went somewhere else. Today, most - not all, will park behind you or beside you or run ahead of you, it comes down to respect and ethics and I'm afraid lots of so called hunters today have little of either compared to years ago.

Getting away from the crowd is what I try to do as most of you do, but it gets harder each year. I still get my share of deer, turkeys and ducks but times are changing for everyone at every hunting location/destination. For the sake of the future keep hunting and take a young one and teach them the proper respect for the land and game that we all cherish.

Sorry for the long rant, please accept my apologies.

I think I typed in the word "ethics" where the "rule one violations" is inserted. If my "smart phone" inserted something else and I didn't catch it, I apologize.

Len, this is your forum and you have the say so, but never in my life would I have thought that word could ever be construed to be offense. It's a every day part of my life and expected out of me every day. However once again I'm wrong. Please accept my apologies.

It's an awkward reality today that wildlife needs to be monetized to be protected. Wild sheep are no different.

Hunting impacts to sheep populations are insignificant compared to other hazards and hardships to their populations. Until we start protecting their habitat, demand will grossly exceed supply. .... and most of us all will continue to only dream of a sheep hunt.

Yes Earlybugle, I agree.
Unfortunately, we have to put a dollar value on wildlife. It is the only thing bean counters recognize. It is a sad fact.
Land is only valued as real estate for its mineral rights or timber value.
Thank God we still have some wild places left in this province

Disease and competition for habitat pose two of the greatest risks to wild sheep. In one way they are the same thing since domestic sheep are well known to spread contagious and highly deadly diseases to wild sheep. I've wondered if anyone has ever estimated the cost to pay sheep ranchers to not lease public land in sheep country?

Think about it. We allow tax dollars to pay farmers to not plant crops in specific fields. Tax dollars subsidize corn production for ethanol, a less capable substitute for gasoline. .... wind farms..... (The list goes on and on).

those idiot mouth breathers as you call them pay just as much tax and game permit fees as you do. To a lot of people taking a 3x3 whitetail is just as exciting as it is for me taking a 190 plus deer. To each their own. I feed the *Rule 4 Violation* deer year round and I like to shoot a big deer as much as the next guy but the vast majority of people don't have many places to hunt and can't afford to take an entire week off to hunt. If they take Bambi legally more power to them.
Lol you don't know me at all. I pay more taxes and feed more of those long legged rats than 99% of hunters.

Those mouth breathers are lazy too. They don't know what scouting is. They are too busy drinking beer all summer and being lazy.
Then they roll up in their trucks and unload a atv and ride all over. Then they wonder why they don't see big bucks and they end up shooting tiny ones.
Then they complain about farmers using crop damage permits.

Attitudes like yours are why states enact buck and or antler restrictions.

Think about it. We allow tax dollars to pay farmers to not plant crops in specific fields. Tax dollars subsidize corn production for ethanol, a less capable substitute for gasoline. .... wind farms..... (The list goes on and on).

The only programs that pay farmers not to any crops, are programs like CRP which hunters groups push for to provide more habitual for wildlife.

Ethanol replaces MTBE which is highly cancerous and leeches into ground water immediately. There are a lot of old gas tanks that have leaked and killed people from water contamination.

.....I've often though about the money part of hunting. Utah DNR just released 57 big Horn sheep into a new area that had no sheep. Largely because of the high money sportsman's tags. It's a love hate thing I know .............

In my opinion the transparency isn't good enough. It's been reported the Pittman-Robertson funds haven't been audited ever.

If I ever hit a huge lottery I think best way to support wildlife, and hunting would be to audit all those taking money, and claiming to benefit either.

They don't know what scouting is. They are too busy drinking beer all summer and being lazy.
Then they roll up in their trucks and unload a atv and ride all over. Then they wonder why they don't see big bucks and they end up shooting tiny ones.

^ this is all too true. Drives me nuts in the south. It's not like we have to walk that far to the stand. I cannot stand being on a lease, that I paid for, just for the other clowns who are too lazy to walk a mile to their stands, come flying by on one of those truck atv things. They then park under their stand and climb right onto the ladder. Or when they know I'm hunting till noon and they get down at 9 and fly past me on those things.

I get it if your old or have a disability, but the people I see are teenagers or dudes my age who live in the gym with me.

They can run 5 miles on a tread mill but call it quits on a hunt if they can't get their ATV loaded onto the trailer.

I don't know sheep dieoffs happen, I used to be more certain. Cattleman don't like domestic sheep and their are none in this valley. You can watch 195" B&C rams bedded as coal haul trucks go by on our coal mines, coal dust is everywhere and I will spit it up when around it. Generally these Bighorns are healthy.
We used to think Grizzlies need wild country to survive, now they will track up around the house looking for dog food. They live here spring, summer and fall.
I predate ATV's, I don't like them either.
Many use them respectfully, some don't.
I stick to a saddle horse pretty good or just rely on my shanks mare to get around. My way, that's all.
Sheep country can be breathtaking, hope we can save some of it for future generations

Lol you don't know me at all. I pay more taxes and feed more of those long legged rats than 99% of hunters.

Those mouth breathers are lazy too. They don't know what scouting is. They are too busy drinking beer all summer and being lazy.
Then they complain about farmers using crop damage permits.

Attitudes like yours are why states enact buck and or antler restrictions.

I can guarantee you are not in the top 1% of tax payers lol. And Boo hoo. They have as much right as you on public ground or land they have permission on. Only the law breakers **** me off.
If you don't like it there are plenty of people out there that will take money from you and give only you the right to hunt a piece of ground. Im not one of them, but to each their own.

I can guarantee you are not in the top 1% of tax payers lol. And Boo hoo. They have as much right as you on public ground or land they have permission on. Only the law breakers *Rule 4 Violation* me off.
If you don't like it there are plenty of people out there that will take money from you and give only you the right to hunt a piece of ground. Im not one of them, but to each their own.
Lol you don't know anything about me. Keep assuming.

Sounds like I might be cutting a little close to home for some.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.