Hslr ffp vs sfp

Cafard

Narrowed my choice for a scope for my 300 win mag to the Viper HS LR 4-16X50 SFP and the Viper HS LR 4-16X50 FFP. For hunting wich one would you guys pick, money isn't an issue they are almost the same. Ive read somewhere that FFP reticle are harder to find on a dark target/environment? Let ya know what you think, thanks!

Regardless of price, I personally prefer SFP scopes. The Viper HS-T scopes are also worth looking into.

Thanks for the reply, i wanted to stay away off a scope with open windage turret. dont really need it for my use and id prefer to have it capped...

Thanks for the reply, i wanted to stay away off a scope with open windage turret. dont really need it for my use and id prefer to have it capped...

I agree. For a strictly hunting rifle, the capped windage would be ideal when you have an awesome reticle like the XLR (FFP model). But Vortex's BDC reticle (SFP model) is also excellent. I originally was going to buy a HS LR because of that reason, but the HS-T's came out for about $250 less, and I don't need the illuminated reticle or FFP, so I went with the HS-T's. Same glass, same tube, same lens coatings, same everything, just didn't have the extra bells & whistles that I didn't really want/need anyway.

Midway has the HS LR with the BDC reticle for $599... Might be worth looking into.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/98...x-50mm-side-focus-dead-hold-bdc-reticle-matte

I still might get an SFP HS-LR scope for my deer rifle (to have the extra magnification and 30mm tube), but for now it's really hard to justify removing my Kahles Helia KX 3.5-10x50 4D-Dot reticle... It's some of the clearest glass I've ever looked through, and I used to sell Swarovski and Schmidt & Benders when I worked at the gun store. :cool:

It boils down to personal preference and application(s). Most of my scopes are SFPs but 2 of my last 3 scope purchases were FFPs and have no problem transitioning with it ... actually enjoying it.

[ame]https://youtu.be/4XgugJSqpoE?t=11[/ame]

I have a PST 4-16x50 FFP with the MOA reticle and an HSLR 6-24X50 FFP. What I have found is that my hunting situations don't always pan out the way I'd hoped for. The elk I shot this year is a prime example.

I didn't get the shot I had wanted in the morning. The elk never cooperated and didn't walk thru an open face on the next hill over like I had predicted. They instead ran into the deepest, darkest, hole in the mountain they could find. I hiked back to the truck to swap my 300wm with the 6-24 on it for a lighter 260rem with the 4-16. I knew my shots were gonna be shorter, I wanted a lower power and lighter rifle for where I had to go.

This was my first year really hunting hard with FFP scopes and I learned that when I get into the deep, dark places, my eyes don't pick up a 4x FFP reticle very well. I ended up turning on the illumination about an hour before last light because I knew I wouldn't be able to find the crosshairs very easy. I'm not blind either, I don't have perfect vision but I don't need glasses either.

With the XLR reticle on the HSLR at 6x I'm not sure I would have been able to make my shot fast enough. That being said I'm now in the beginning stages of buying or building a new general purpose hunting rifle as the 260 and 300wm are definitely more geared towards long range.

I really like the the FFP for long range shooting and do not plan on changing them out. But for a general purpose rifle that won't see many shots past 600yds I have no reservations about second focal plane.

All in all I dial for most of my shots except when I run out of elevation in the scope adjustment so the plane doesn't make much difference to me plus when i'm shooting way out there I'm usually on the max magnification anyways.

Sorry for rambling, just got kinda sidetracked and ran with it. All I can say is that for me with my hunting style the tiny crosshairs provided by FFP reticles can sometimes be slightly problematic. I overcame it with illumination. Everyone's different and you may find something else that works for you. Good luck in your choices.

Thanks everyone for the replys, Vortex will be in town next weekend for demo i will go there and hopefully find the product i want. If you would ask me right now what scope i would want, it would be the 4-16X50 HS LR SFP with a plex but unfortunately its not available. I just won't use the BDC as i dont think ill ever need the 16X magnification anyway. I would probably Zero the scope at 200y at magnification of 6-8. That being said i still have things to learn...

I have been preferring 2nd focal plane scopes but I'm going to be curious to hear the replies because I'm stepping up my game with a custom rifle build and I'm in the market for a new scope. I'm reconsidering the 1st focal plane option. All of my rifle scopes, except one, to this point max out at 18x and my thinking has been that I'm ALWAYS shooting and ranging at max power anyway. So, I didn't see much point in spending the extra $$ on a first focal place scope; or in having to deal with ridiculously fine crosshairs at low powers. Now, when I bought my Leupold VX6 that goes to 24x I began to see where the FFP might be an advantage because there are times where I'm not shooting at that max power. I'm currently considering buying a Vortex AMG for a lightweight custom build I have in progress. I won't have a choice of 2nd focal plane in that case; but I know I'll want a FFP reticle on a scope that goes to 27x because I will do plenty of shooting/hunting where that's more optical power than I will need or want.

So, I wouldn't be looking for a FFP option in the scopes you mentioned. It's really just a matter of personal preference, though. I'm sure there will be other guys who feel differently. There's no "right" or "wrong" answer to your question. Take all the input and make a decision based on your particular needs and intentions.

If you DO decide to get a FFP scope, I would HIGHLY recommend a model with an illuminated reticle! No way I'd own a non illuminated hunting scope that was FFP.

Last edited:
Ive been browsing other brand website and noticed the Nightforce SHV 4-14X50 F1. Its like a Vortex PST but with capped windage turret. If i decide to go the FFP route, this one is really interesting. Might be a good thing to have an illuminated reticle for a ffp hunting scope...

Nevermind the SHV 4-14X50 F1 has only a 3" eye relief and might not be suitable for a magnum caliber...

I have the Vortex HS LR 4-16 FFP on my main elk and deer rifle but going to swap it out for a SFP scope (not sure witch one yet) and here is why. Last season had a really good bull coming down a ridge in the timber. It was a rainy cloudy day just breaking daylight and he was about 300 yards so I needed no adjustment to the scope. Caught him in an opening and when I came down on him could see him quite well but could not see my cross hair in the poor light. I had the scope on 4 power (and I knew better) quickly cranked it to about 8 and when I got back on him all I saw was his rump disappear in the timber. The cross hair was good on 8 power!

I really like the scope but with most FFP scopes on the lower powers the cross hair is really fine and great for working up loads and target shooting but in my opinion as a hunting scope the SFP is superior especially if you dial all shots like I do.

Thanks everyone for the replys, Vortex will be in town next weekend for demo i will go there and hopefully find the product i want. If you would ask me right now what scope i would want, it would be the 4-16X50 HS LR SFP with a plex but unfortunately its not available. I just won't use the BDC as i dont think ill ever need the 16X magnification anyway. I would probably Zero the scope at 200y at magnification of 6-8. That being said i still have things to learn...

The more you use it, the more you'll find that the BDC (at a minimum) is a VERY handy item to have incase your shots end up being longer than anticipated. Having the ability to know your target distance with your rangefinder, and then being able to know which dot on your scope is closest, can be the difference between a kill and a wound. And nobody wants to wound an animal. Once again, just my thoughts. At the very least, the BDC would be my pick, next (based on your list) the FFP XLR reticle would be the way to go. Like I said, I prefer SFP, some folks prefer FFP, it's just personal preference.

That's cool that Vortex will be in your town. Definitely go and see what they have to offer, and you might end up with something totally different from your original list. It's all about finding what works best for you and your needs. Like I said, my LR hunting and target rifles sport Vortex HS-T 6-24x50 VMR-1 (MRAD) SFP scopes....Except for a couple. I have a few SWFA SS scopes and a Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50 BDC SFP scope sitting on a couple, as well.

I have the Vortex HS LR 4-16 FFP on my main elk and deer rifle but going to swap it out for a SFP scope (not sure witch one yet) and here is why. Last season had a really good bull coming down a ridge in the timber. It was a rainy cloudy day just breaking daylight and he was about 300 yards so I needed no adjustment to the scope. Caught him in an opening and when I came down on him could see him quite well but could not see my cross hair in the poor light. I had the scope on 4 power (and I knew better) quickly cranked it to about 8 and when I got back on him all I saw was his rump disappear in the timber. The cross hair was good on 8 power!

I really like the scope but with most FFP scopes on the lower powers the cross hair is really fine and great for working up loads and target shooting but in my opinion as a hunting scope the SFP is superior especially if you dial all shots like I do.

Thanks for sharing, that kind of scenario is going to happen alot in hunting situation, the balance is now heavier on the SFP side.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.