FFP vs SFP for hunting

John65

I have read some threads on this subject but still am not sure on which would be the best. I'm looking at buying a 6x24 scope, it will primarily be used for deer and possibly coyotes. Deer will most generally be 200-300 yards in my normal spot but in some areas it could be in the 600-700 range. I will have a range finder so distances will pretty well be known all the time. If I am shooting in the 600 range the deer will either be bedded down or at a stand still, I wont be taking moving shots on a deer at those ranges. Any help is much appreciated!

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Do a custom search on the top right hand corner for "FFP vs SFP" and you'll yield 282 results.

Also, on Magazine Articles forum under Technical Articles - Discussion sub-forum, there's First Focal Plane Vs Second Focal Plane Scope article.

Good luck!

Do you plan on dialing in your longer shots or would you rather use bdc/mils/moa or similar hold overs? The 2-300yd shots shouldn't be a problem using ky windage, beyond that you'll need to determine your preference.

Do you have any scopes in mind? and budget always help to weed things out? Is there an overall target weight? Lastly do you have a local shop where you can handle quality optics first hand?

I was looking at the vortex line of scopes, I was planning on spending around 600 but could possibly go up to a 1000. I would probably dial in as I dont feel like the bdc would be real accurate but really haven't used them, I was thinking if I went with the vortex scope I would probably dial it all in and order a custom set of turrets. I really dont know since the only scopes I've used before are cheap 3x9x40's the more I read the moremconfused I get with all the options out there!! Nothing close for looking at scopes but it would only be an hr drive to get to a town that would have some shops

It is preference. I prefer SFP. I also prefer Mil/Mil scopes (MRAD or Milliradians) over MOA reticles. Take a look at the Vortex Viper HS-T. It's hard to beat for the $640 price tag.

I prefer SFP for hunting. If you were going to be ranging with the scope hunting I would say FFP. The problem with FFP and a precision shot is the cross hairs get really fat when you increase power. So if you have a range finder a SFP would be fine, and cheaper. I have vortex viper PST 4-16x in both FFP and SFP. SFP is my favored for hunting. I also like the milradian, easier for me to do the math.

My personal preference is FFP for hunting. Unless you are always on the highest setting you can't use your reticle(as easily) for wind corrections on a SFP. For elevation corrections dialing isn't a problem since its a set distance. Wind on the other hand is not always constant and to me it's easier to use the reticle than dial for wind

I prefer SFP for hunting cross hairs are way to small at lower powers with a FFP.

Seriously consider a 4-16x50 instead of a 6-24. 4-16 is a much more usable magnification range. Your eye position at 16x will be less critical. 4x is a good base magnification. With 6x it is too high.

I have the 4-16x50 PST FFP I also have the 6-24x50 PST FFP and I have a 4-16x42 HST with SFP and by far my favourite is the 4-16x50. I bought the 6-24x50 for longer range hunts out west where a max magnification over 16 could be beneficial, but you will notice that most high end scopes do not go over 20x due to mirage and the problems related to the small exit pupil size. Vortex would have done a lot better if they had built a 5-20x scope instead of a 6-24.

So if you do not already have one, get a 4-16x50. Then if you need a second (for a more long range capable rifle) get a 6-24 or a 5-20 if Vortex has added one by then....

Seriously consider a 4-16x50 instead of a 6-24. 4-16 is a much more usable magnification range. Your eye position at 16x will be less critical. 4x is a good base magnification. With 6x it is too high.

I have the 4-16x50 PST FFP I also have the 6-24x50 PST FFP and I have a 4-16x42 HST with SFP and by far my favourite is the 4-16x50. I bought the 6-24x50 for longer range hunts out west where a max magnification over 16 could be beneficial, but you will notice that most high end scopes do not go over 20x due to mirage and the problems related to the small exit pupil size. Vortex would have done a lot better if they had built a 5-20x scope instead of a 6-24.

So if you do not already have one, get a 4-16x50. Then if you need a second (for a more long range capable rifle) get a 6-24 or a 5-20 if Vortex has added one by then....

Good idea, i was wondering about only being at a 6x if i was shooting something pretty close, I think the 4-16 would probably be a better option after you brought up those points. Another question that i probably should know the answer to but don't is, say if i zero a SFP scope at 200 yds at a zoom of say 10 and then take the same shot at 16x will my point of impact change?

If you use the centre of the reticle, NO. If you do NOT use the centre of the reticle, then YES.

When you change the magnification, the subtention values change. However, the point of aim in the centre of the reticle stays the same or you have a serious problem....

A scope with a 4x zoom range the increment from 1 tic mark to the next will change by a factor of 4. On the PST FFP it is 2MOA from one tic mark to the next in the centre of the reticle. With the SFP reticle it is the same at 16x. So at 4x the subtention from tic to tic is 2x4 = 8Moa

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.