How to boil a skull for a euro mount???

And one more thing… when doing the knife work be careful and clean any cuts/stabs well. After many years of doing this. Lots of wounds… an elk got revenge on me. I had stabbed myself in the finger with my havalon and really didn't think anything of it. I ended up with a really really bad infection in my hand. There is a lot of bacteria at this point.

And one more thing… when doing the knife work be careful and clean any cuts/stabs well. After many years of doing this. Lots of wounds… an elk got revenge on me. I had stabbed myself in the finger with my havalon and really didn't think anything of it. I ended up with a really really bad infection in my hand. There is a lot of bacteria at this point.
Yep. I've found Havalons like to bite the user. Although, I did skin this deer head with one….I like using a fixed blade knife for most of my skinning work.

Yep. I've found Havalons like to bite the user. Although, I did skin this deer head with one….I like using a fixed blade knife for most of my skinning work.
Yes they do. I use them a ton. Pretty much my go to. They work so well but definitely can be dangerous. I've got myself plenty…. It was my fault. I was being sloppy and it was dull. Just not paying attention. Lesson learned.

Pressure washer is the way to go. Boil the skull enough to loosen it up. Maybe 45 minutes to an hour on low simmer. Boil to much the nose pieces get loose. Just be careful with the pressure washer around the nose. Afterward get some of this. Make a paste and coat skull. Wrap the horns to keep it off. I wrap the skull with plastic wrap after coating with bleaching agent.

Attachments

• IMG_8322.jpeg
    IMG_8322.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 20
I euro a few every year. I have done Bear, Deer, Elk, Antelope, etc. with mostly Deer/Elk. I use a similar method and just found some things to make it faster and save more bone detail. Key is don't keep it in a rolling boil (heavy simmer) as it will cause the bones to separate and spread apart along all the natural junctions.

Flesh Removal:
I use different sized pots on a turkey cooker, use a ladder over the top, and suspend the head so the antlers are as flat as possible against the water line. Avoids boiling color out and hardness white onto them. No need to fake color them back up.
I add Oxi Clean laundry soap in my water.
I cut a roll of saran wrap about 4" long and use that to wrap all the horn. This will fit under the bur nice and snug.
Secure the saran wrap with electrical tape as this also stretches under the bur. If you boil this too hot and in the water the electrical tape starts to loosen.
I clean a lot more of the fat and meat off before boiling.
Then I power wash it. This is what I use and it has been going for about five years. I used my big 5HP Honda.....yeah strongly urge you not to have more than 15-1600psi and less than 2gal min. Volume is important just leave the industrial in the shop.
CLEAN THE BRAINS OUT BEFORE BOILING! I scramble with a screw driver and use my power washer.
I do not touch my skulls with a scraper only a wire pick at the very end if there is a tiny piece. Pressure washer does it all 90% of the time.
Warning! There are some bones that are super fragile and care will preserve them....most of the time not always.
1: At the back of the nasal cavity just forward of the eye socket is a thin sheet of bone....paper thin. You can shred it with a washer or easily break it with any kind of scraper.
2: Spiral bones going up the nasal cavity from the front. These are full of what ends up being a dark rubbery flesh all the way to just below the eye socket. DO NOT STICK YOUR PLIERS, KNIFE, SCREWD DRIVER, etc. up there and try to pull scrape the boogers out if you want to keep the spiral bones. Pressure Washer, Pressure Washer, Pressure Washer....works perfectly just adjust what nozzle you use.

Whitening: I re-apply the saran wrap. ANYTHING THIS SOLUTION TOUCHES WILL BE WHITE SO PAY ATTENTION AND DETAIL MATTERS. I will tape off the teeth a lot so the dark stains contrast with the all white. I just use an eraser to push the tape into the cracks to lessen it from leaking down on the tooth.
I use 12% Hydrogen Peroxide off Amazon. I buy it by the gallon because I will eventually use it. I then mix Clairol Basic White powder and the Peroxide together to make a thin watery paste. Use a 1/2" brush to brush it on, and pour it down the navel cavity, etc. I put it on fairly thick and you can put a second layer if you hit it as it starts to set up. I have applied this several times, and most of the time it is done with the second coating. I use air hose to blow it off and a brush after it dries. You could soak it off....I just don't take the time to let it dry.
I don't know why I never thought of using Oxi Clean before. I got my method from a friend that is a taxidermist, but I can see some different things to try this year.

Hello all!

I wasn't sure where to post this, but boiling in a pot is involved so I stuck it in the Cook's Corner.

I'm looking to boil my whitetail skull I harvested this year. This will be my first attempt using this method and I'm looking for the cheat code that accomplishes this in the easiest fashion leaving the nose bones in tact and is the overall easiest process.

I found this video on YouTube that seems like a good process:

I did notice in the comments section many others mentioning using a pressure washer (I do have a pressure washer) rather than a garden hose.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Ship it to a buddy anywhere from SoCal to FL and have him set it in the back yard for a week. Fire ants will make it spotless.

Pressure washer is the way to go. Boil the skull enough to loosen it up. Maybe 45 minutes to an hour on low simmer. Boil to much the nose pieces get loose. Just be careful with the pressure washer around the nose. Afterward get some of this. Make a paste and coat skull. Wrap the horns to keep it off. I wrap the skull with plastic wrap after coating with bleaching agent.
^^^^^^^^^
Done dozens of Mounts.
Used out Turkey Pot with the propane to boil.
Watch out with the Pressure Washer. You can cut the skull with the water pressure, use a spread nozzle.
Go to a Hair Salon Supply Company for the higher % of peroxide (paste). After cleaning the Skull put the peroxide paste on and wrap with gauze.
Don't leave on too long or the skull bone will get soft and mushy.

I don't know why I never thought of using Oxi Clean before. I got my method from a friend that is a taxidermist, but I can see some different things to try this year.
I have been using oxiclean for a few years now. It works great. I don't bother bleaching when I use it. It does a good enough job for me but I don't like skulls that are so bleached that they look like someone painted them white. If you cook them a really long time like recomended in the video then I would wrap the base of the antlers. I normally cook them 45 minutes to an hour and did not bleach out the antlers. I put a skull back in after scraping and cooked another 30 minutes or so and the base of the antlers started to bleach out a little.

20231129_132154.jpg

^^^^^^^^^
Done dozens of Mounts.
Used out Turkey Pot with the propane to boil.
Watch out with the Pressure Washer. You can cut the skull with the water pressure, use a spread nozzle.
Go to a Hair Salon Supply Company for the higher % of peroxide (paste). After cleaning the Skull put the peroxide paste on and wrap with gauze.
Don't leave on too long or the skull bone will get soft and mushy.
I also forgot that I put "BORAX" 20 Mule Team Detergent in the boiling water. It dissolves the meat off the bone.