How Much energy is too little?

"Enough" energy is a function of placement. 250 ft lbs to the head is terminal, but to the shoulder is inadequate.

there is no rule for number of fr lbs required in most states.

Many shooters here are capable shooting long distances with reasonable guarantee they will make terminal impact. Debate on this subject is purely academic, but for purposes of continuing positive conversations, I would say that the threshold of ft lbs required to terminate game is limited entirely by the placement of the bullet, which is often limited by the ability of the shooter.

My 10 year old son took his first deer at 930 yards. So, with the right training and equipment, it can be done by anyone.

I know it's kind of an answer that contains no answer, but I hope this helps.

Very important…..never seen an expanding bullet fail to open due to velocity being "too" high! 🤦‍♂️ But, I guess that the near impossible can indeed happen in the real world! 🤔 memtb
Uhhhhh copper.....not sure about too much velocity but close impacts with copper are not highly desired in my experience

Uhhhhh copper.....not sure about too much velocity but close impacts with copper are not highly desired in my experience

And……I see just the opposite, at least with the Barnes bullets. Keeping the velocity a bit above the listed minimum impact velocity is very important. I can't testify as to other mono's!

I have heard of some (both mono's and some open-tip cup and cores ) failing to expand because of a plugged tip! memtb

This subject can be all over place and opinions equally as well. Ultimately a good vital shot will be the best starting point for anything regardless of energy. Archery does kill with a lot less energy but big rifle energy not vitally placed doesn't guarantee a recoverable animal. An animals will to live can vary as well. During the season I track a lot of deer for folks with my cur. All of them generally non vital hits and doesn't matter what caliber hit them. Gut shot with 300 win mag usually equally the same result as a 243. Deer runs a few hundred yards and lays down. This is just my experience. I've seen some deer not hit very good at all lay down like they were in their last breath and tracked some that go a mile with most their guts left at the hit site. And most deer I track are for grown men and very few kids I've tracked deer for make as bad of shots ironically. I can't tell ya how many men shot the front leg and swear they dropped him through a double lung hit just to learn the deer was hit in its knee.
How an animal reacts to being hit is directly proportional to the amount of adrenaline it is amped up on. The ones that are being chased or wounded by others will take a good hit and will wander off to die, but I've found that an animal taken completely unaware will drop on the spot with marginal hits.

Just look at it....seems to prove opposite of a lot of opinions and in line with my experience....velocity don't seem to help this gentleman

Sorry, my mistake…. I thought that we were shooting big game with big game cartridges/bullets! memtb
Doesn't matter the game it's a representation of the effects of small projectiles with small energy. You can continue to believe energy isnt important but I highly doubt that little goat woulda wore three 245 berger from a 300NMI going 3000fps. It's your choice to not at least see the point being made.

How an animal reacts to being hit is directly proportional to the amount of adrenaline it is amped up on. The ones that are being chased or wounded by others will take a good hit and will wander off to die, but I've found that an animal taken completely unaware will drop on the spot with marginal hits.
The ones I'm speaking of that I'm called to bring in a dog to help recover are animals not being chased but rather mostly shot from a stand. Marginal hits in my experience usually mean it will not stay where it was hit, but will most certainly try and run and will then lay up in a place where it feels safe again. That distance is entirely up to the animal. Sometimes it's short, sometimes it's long. I've recovered deer that's went nearly 2 miles. But I've also found deer that's went only 50-60 yds. Most of my experiences are in the Deep South and Midwest. But I've also helped find 2 elk while out west on hunts that others have shot. Both were marginal hits and both covered about a half mile before laying up.

Doesn't matter the game it's a representation of the effects of small projectiles with small energy. You can continue to believe energy isnt important but I highly doubt that little goat woulda wore three 245 berger from a 300NMI going 3000fps. It's your choice to not at least see the point being made.

I can see your point to a degree. But again, hitting a small animal with a bullet too small for any big game IMO, though they can work, and hitting the same animal with a high velocity, highly frangible, much larger diameter bullet isn't exactly an equal comparison.

Energy has little to do with it! The massive tissue destruction of vital organs , whether torn apart with your hands or a bullet…..each will effectively kill! memtb

OMG!

Bang your head ***** cat.gif