How many gearheads on LRH ?

Been tinkering with the 72 Camaro a little bit for the first time in several months. Tweaking the tune and testing on my new blacktop driveway ( a good 500+ft of straight away, with room to slow down at the end). Maxing out at about 12.5lbs of boost, it's a beast of a street car ! Guessing 700 rwhp in the present tune. TOO MUCH FUN!

Little boats with big merc two strokes, motorcycles, old sleepers with nitrous, have always been my thing but for nowadays i ride a goldwing.

Yeah the powerstroke's had a bad knock to them, especially the 7.3's. The 6.7 powerstroke is very quiet for a diesel. I've been around Cummins engines mostly. When they start to spool the knock goes away. And just because it burns diesel doesn't mean it won't turn some rpm. The high horse rigs will usually be turning well over 5k and some over 6k. I was shifting mine at 4400rpm.
Check this out, You'll see why I'm a diesel fan.

I'm glad i found another fellow diesel enthusiast! They're my version of "hot rods". I don't know what it is, but no other vehicles catch my eye or interest than a diesel truck. I've loved them for years and have followed Diesel Power Challenge, and now Ultimate Callout Challenge. I have a 2004 F250 with the 6.0L Powerstroke. It has been head studded, EGR delete, custom tuned, exhaust, and a few other mods. Makes around 400-420RWHP and close to 800 torque. I'm selling it and planning to get a 6.7 Powerstroke. One day I'll build a diesel to make 1000+ HP. It's nothing to make over 1000 to the wheels in one now. It takes BIG money to get to 2000HP+ but man are they awesome!

Pic of my truck

Attachments

• 3675C701-5E49-4FC0-BA41-D164FF86EA63.jpeg
    3675C701-5E49-4FC0-BA41-D164FF86EA63.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
  • 474A9C06-48B8-431C-A688-9CD843C589E5.jpeg
    474A9C06-48B8-431C-A688-9CD843C589E5.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 24
I'm glad i found another fellow diesel enthusiast! They're my version of "hot rods". I don't know what it is, but no other vehicles catch my eye or interest than a diesel truck. I've loved them for years and have followed Diesel Power Challenge, and now Ultimate Callout Challenge. I have a 2004 F250 with the 6.0L Powerstroke. It has been head studded, EGR delete, custom tuned, exhaust, and a few other mods. Makes around 400-420RWHP and close to 800 torque. I'm selling it and planning to get a 6.7 Powerstroke. One day I'll build a diesel to make 1000+ HP. It's nothing to make over 1000 to the wheels in one now. It takes BIG money to get to 2000HP+ but man are they awesome!

Pic of my truck
They're my version of a hotrod as well. You just can't get that tire shredding torque from gasoline. The truck I just sold best run on the dyno did 825 rwhp and 1223 lb-ft. It consistantly would run ~770hp and 1150lb-ft. Not bad for a old 12 valve. I just bought two second gen Cummins, one for work and one for play. Doing mods as funds allow. Both trucks were completely stock and unmolested, so I'm starting from scratch. Took some time to find two of them like that that didn't have 53 cast blocks. Actually, I got very lucky and both of them are Mexican block trucks.
Nice truck and good luck on your quest for 1000hp.

My dream car is a black '69 Camero with a 4 bolt main 350 hooked into a 350 turbo turning a 410 positrac rear end. My dad had that setup when I was around 4 or 5, and I never realized it until I was in my 20's. He had sold it because it wasn't practical at the time. Two of my cousins had Chevelles, one was a '69 and the other was '72 if I recall. The '69 had a 400 police interceptor in it and would pull the front tires off the pavement.

ll
They're my version of a hotrod as well. You just can't get that tire shredding torque from gasoline. The truck I just sold best run on the dyno did 825 rwhp and 1223 lb-ft. It consistantly would run ~770hp and 1150lb-ft. Not bad for a old 12 valve. I just bought two second gen Cummins, one for work and one for play. Doing mods as funds allow. Both trucks were completely stock and unmolested, so I'm starting from scratch. Took some time to find two of them like that that didn't have 53 cast blocks. Actually, I got very lucky and both of them are Mexican block trucks.
Nice truck and good luck on your quest for 1000hp.
It's all about the boost. Diesel blocks, cranks, rods, and pistons are just made to take insane amounts of it. Boost for boost, I will take a gas burner . I'm only running 12.5 lbs of boost on my 6.2 gas engine. On paper, that's good for over 900 hp and around 800 ft lbs. That's engine dyno numbers. I expect 750ish hp and similar tq at the tire. All that power in a car that weighs 3600lbs with fat boy behind the wheel . That's not pushing things. Just a few clicks on the boost controller for 18-20lbs and we are talking close to 900 hp at the tire. Cant pull the the house and toys to the hunting camp like your diesels will , but the rush of acceleration is hard to beat !
I do have mad respect for y'alls trucks though:D

ll
It's all about the boost. Diesel blocks, cranks, rods, and pistons are just made to take insane amounts of it. Boost for boost, I will take a gas burner . I'm only running 12.5 lbs of boost on my 6.2 gas engine. On paper, that's good for over 900 hp and around 800 ft lbs. That's engine dyno numbers. I expect 750ish hp and similar tq at the tire. All that power in a car that weighs 3600lbs with fat boy behind the wheel . That's not pushing things. Just a few clicks on the boost controller for 18-20lbs and we are talking close to 900 hp at the tire. Cant pull the the house and toys to the hunting camp like your diesels will , but the rush of acceleration is hard to beat !
I do have mad respect for y'alls trucks though:D
I hear you man, I spent a lot of time around hotrod's, car shows and drag strips when I was younger. And boost for equal boost, if that is what you are saying, yeah I would go for the gasser. But when you start pumping 100-150 psi into a diesel, that is some serious torque with a capital T!
You should try to get a ride in a 1000+hp compound turbo diesel with a auto. Ain't nothing like a 100psi boosted four wheel drive launch.
At the end of the day I like them both and one isn't really better than the other. I just prefer the torque of my diesel.

I hear you man, I spent a lot of time around hotrod's, car shows and drag strips when I was younger. And boost for equal boost, if that is what you are saying, yeah I would go for the gasser. But when you start pumping 100-150 psi into a diesel, that is some serious torque with a capital T!
You should try to get a ride in a 1000+hp compound turbo diesel with a auto. Ain't nothing like a 100psi boosted four wheel drive launch.
At the end of the day I like them both and one isn't really better than the other. I just prefer the torque of my diesel.
Yes sir, that's exactly what I was saying. The fact that a diesel engine can even injest 100lbs of boost is crazy. Thats why a 6.0 diesel engine weighs TWICE what a gas 6.0 does. Mr diesel, Gale Banks himself, was working on a rotating assembly to cut some weight off the diesel rotating assembly to make it possible to spin the diesel up to gas engine rpms. I dont keep up with the diesel world as much as the high combustables, so I dont know how far he took it . He was trying to get closer to one to one , tq to hp, like a gas burner . You know a diesel is closer to 2 to 1, tq to hp. I think he was pushing diesel as a racing fuel alternative for the mainstream racing industry and not so much a beast of burden, extremely heavy physical weight engine. His idea takes away the massive tq advantage huge boost give the platform, but makes it possible to stick a v8 oil burner in a car that's designed to road race or even a traditional gas platform muscle car without having to build a frame and suspension system to carry a 900+ lbs engine and a 300 lbs trans that's capable of holding the tq.
On a different note, have you looked at turbo gas burners in drag racing lately ? Some people are getting up there in boost . There is a guy on another site I go to sometimes that holds the GM LS platform 1/8th mile record . He claims to be pushing close to 60lbs of boost ! Well over 3000hp ! That's from about 400 cubic inches.
Diesel , alcohol, or gas, turbos RULE everywhere except the top fuel world with nitromethane .

Cars are a lot faster, and gas makes more power for cheaper and with a lot less boost. I just like the diesels because they're different and I've always been a truck guy. I love old muscle cars, not so much new stuff, but the old cars are definitely awesome. I still would take a built diesel over just about any car. There's something about the noise, the way the torque pulls, and just the feel of it. Diesels will probably never be able to compete with gassers with equal displacement and turbos, but they sure are fun to mess with and go head to head with other diesels.

My first "gearhead" experience was tearing apart my dads new lawn mower at 11 years old. When my mom found out and dad got home and saw every part scattered around the back patio his only words were "that better be running tonight". Well, much to all of our surprise, it was back running and I earned the lawn mowing responsibilities for life, even though 2 brothers were capable.
After that I was an admirer of all the hotrods from the 60's till today.
Never had the money for one. I had to choose between a hunting vehicle, or a fast car, but not both. But, I have rebuilt many engines to stock or upgraded cams, intakes etc., mainly out of doing it myself and keeping the cars I could afford running for years.
Always appreciate those gleaming fire breathing monsters on the road and strip today.

♂️ Just a little! Lol
69 Camaro 540 cu in BBC w/
8-71 blower pro street

Attachments

• 4A7A0589-B516-440D-B1A4-3A47C7FF1FDC.jpeg
    4A7A0589-B516-440D-B1A4-3A47C7FF1FDC.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 01907E7E-5A15-4A71-BEC5-AC4AACF43490.jpeg
    01907E7E-5A15-4A71-BEC5-AC4AACF43490.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 23DB01A5-57F8-4959-A3DA-7569BE7FB5C8.jpeg
    23DB01A5-57F8-4959-A3DA-7569BE7FB5C8.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • F3E2C7A6-359F-4BE9-A1E3-A696A588E8D1.jpeg
    F3E2C7A6-359F-4BE9-A1E3-A696A588E8D1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 730CF730-A86D-43DB-AA2D-DD1EC02C9643.jpeg
    730CF730-A86D-43DB-AA2D-DD1EC02C9643.jpeg
    757.4 KB · Views: 19
Yes sir, that's exactly what I was saying. The fact that a diesel engine can even injest 100lbs of boost is crazy. Thats why a 6.0 diesel engine weighs TWICE what a gas 6.0 does. Mr diesel, Gale Banks himself, was working on a rotating assembly to cut some weight off the diesel rotating assembly to make it possible to spin the diesel up to gas engine rpms. I dont keep up with the diesel world as much as the high combustables, so I dont know how far he took it . He was trying to get closer to one to one , tq to hp, like a gas burner . You know a diesel is closer to 2 to 1, tq to hp. I think he was pushing diesel as a racing fuel alternative for the mainstream racing industry and not so much a beast of burden, extremely heavy physical weight engine. His idea takes away the massive tq advantage huge boost give the platform, but makes it possible to stick a v8 oil burner in a car that's designed to road race or even a traditional gas platform muscle car without having to build a frame and suspension system to carry a 900+ lbs engine and a 300 lbs trans that's capable of holding the tq.
On a different note, have you looked at turbo gas burners in drag racing lately ? Some people are getting up there in boost . There is a guy on another site I go to sometimes that holds the GM LS platform 1/8th mile record . He claims to be pushing close to 60lbs of boost ! Well over 3000hp ! That's from about 400 cubic inches.
Diesel , alcohol, or gas, turbos RULE everywhere except the top fuel world with nitromethane .
Yeah I keep a eye on the turbo gas guys but not 100% up on the latest news. They are definitely impressive. I've had several mild built small blocks and one fairly rank 427 big block. I actually have a 53' Ford pickup in my driveway awaiting a frame off restoration. Debating whether to use a diesel, big block Chevy or a turbo ls. I've been wanting to build a 496 stroker out of a 427 truck block.

I'm contemplating selling my 72 Camaro so I can put something more practical in the driveway. A truck, so I can take the trash off , to be exact. I sold my tundra 4x4 to my son a couple years ago because he needed a nice vehicle, but didnt have credit established yet at 18.
Thinking about buying an 06-07 GMC envoy 4x4 5.3 Denali and snatching the body off . Then find a 67-72 c10 short box stepside rustbucket , cutting 2 inches out of the bed in front of the tire to even out the wheelbase at 113" , then dropping it on the envoy chassis. Whip up a twin turbo setup for the gen IV 5.3 , turbo cam, DOD delete, a set of 317 heads to drop the compression, and either do a 4l80e trans swap or find someone who can make the 4l60e live behind the TT 5.3.
Steal seats, wheels, gauges, etc, etc off the envoy to integrate the 2 platforms and bam, I will have a handy 4wd rat truck with 700ish hp and modern road worthiness . Since my body has broken down , I only hunt close to home, usually in the woods here at the house, so i dont need a big 4x4 to get into the backwoods or tow toys to a huning lease. I would probably do a 3/5 drop on the truck and run a good street tire on it. Make it look like a stock 2wd c10 lowered , but with alot of surprises for those that take a closer look :D

I had thought about buying a wrecked trailblazer SS (same frame setup as the envoy) but it comes with an all wheel drive setup, not a 4wd. The awd had had its share of problems, so a little research found the envoy with real shift on the fly 4wd and a V8. The down sides are the TBSS has bigger brakes and comes with the LS2 6.0 vette engine compared to more pedestrian 4 wheel discs and the 5.3 on the envoy. I figure it will still stop great since I will be probably shaving close to 1000lbs off the SUVs weight and a few more lbs of boost will make up the difference between the 5.3 and the 6.0. Avoiding the problematic AWD is worth the tradeoff, imho.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts