How far out will you kill an elk by yourself?

At 71 (in 6 days) …….substantially closer than just a decade ago, and it's also very terrain dependent!

If it's fairly flat terrain, pretty cool weather, and it's a nice bull…..about 2 miles would be my limit.

With rough terrain, a small bull or a cow…..exponentially less than two miles! If the terrain is bad enough…..about the same as my self-imposed shooting distance of 600 yards! 😁

Oh and……grizzly population density also factors in! 😉 memtb
memtb,

Looks like it is about Happy Birthday! Keep on trucking.

I have no issues going deep for game. Here are things that will help:

1. Buy a pack that packs meat well. I use a Mystery Ranch.
2. Use Trekking poles. These are a must in my book. Saves your legs and keeps you from falling over/slipping in snow. Great in dead and down situations too.
3. I have a game cart and ice fishing sleds I will stage and chain up to trees in strategical locations. My awesome pack will get it to the cart or sled for a majority of the miles. Game cart when dry or little snow, ice sled when there's ample snow.
4. Bring enough rope/chord to hang your meat/quarters. If it's cold out and you have decent game bags, you can take your time getting it out. Hang them high in bear/wolf country.
5. Get in shape prior to the elk season. Getting in shape during the elk season is a FAIL.
6. Learn how to debone your meat. I don't always do this, but it can really help in the steep and deep country. I prefer to keep meat on the bone for aging, but sometimes you just need to drop the weight to get it out.
7. Find someone that will commit to help you if you get an animal down. This may mean you have to give up your secret spot and some meat. Or, help them when they get an animal down.

Option -8 Friends w/ponies, then you get to put up hay too!
IMG_E3277.JPG

Option -8 Friends w/ponies, then you get to put up hay too!View attachment 523600
About 30 years ago I shot a bull elk about 2 miles in. Was 25 below zero when I got up. I field dressed the elk and left it to go get help. I remembered that one of my friends who had draft mules had offered to help me that summer. I gave him a call and we took two mules in. He rode the frozen elk out like a sled behind the mules. I gave him 100 bucks for his trouble. Was well worth it.

What state was that in? How long did you have to get the head to G&F? It would be tough to get a head to G&F before 5:00 even the second day in a lot of places. Like SD requiring same day check in as someone mentioned, jeez. Not even possible to call in from some areas here. BTW learning to extract the lymph nodes is easier than having to carry a whole head, if all they want is the sample material.

Those were substantial packs you were carrying. That was a lot of effort in a short period! Sounds like you dented your sciatic nerve with that effort. Good it went away.
CO. The game and fish office was about 50 miles from where I was parking, and it was in a small town right on the highway. That was good. IIRC, they said within 24hrs of the kill. I suppose I may have narrowly missed that window, but figured as long as I got there before they closed the day after the that I was fine. The regs specifically said "head", but at the office I asked if I could just bring the lymph nodes the next time and they did say that was ok.

I don't think that's the first time I've irritated the sciatic nerve. I think it originated with being crammed in the back of a Ford F-250 for long hours when I was working a job that required substantial commutes on bad roads. It has come back on me with two heavy pack loads, that being one of them.

Last edited:
When I hunted elk I always had a game cart that you could back pack or assemble and pull it to the kill and back out.
When hunting Mule Deer one year I left the cart home and shot a huge Mulie and at a tad over 600 yards and regretted leaving the cart home.
At my age and health I need to have a friend along if I want to get it out in a day.
Lost about 1/2 of an elk to bears that I left overnight the first day of the elk season several years ago here in Montana.Won't do that again,.Guess which part of the elk the bears ate,the hind quarter and part of the back.Lost most of the back strap.They know what is the best part.