How far out will you kill an elk by yourself?

Graymun

I had a cow elk tag, this season, and ended up not pulling the trigger because getting to them was so hard when I did the math, I just did not think I could get her out. What do everyone think? What's your worst pack outs? I know I would have made it happen for a bull. The people I talked to had an attitude of "don't work that hard for a cow". I don't know, seasons over and I'm kind of kicking myself. The best thing would have been to be in much better shape, and found some easier elk.

I had a cow elk tag, this season, and ended up not pulling the trigger because getting to them was so hard when I did the math, I just did not think I could get her out. What do everyone think? What's your worst pack outs? I know I would have made it happen for a bull. The people I talked to had an attitude of "don't work that hard for a cow". I don't know, seasons over and I'm kind of kicking myself. The best thing would have been to be in much better shape, and found some easier elk.
Meat is Meat off a Bull or Cow and if you only have one ticket why pass it up. Just try to hunt an area where you could pack the animal out. Plan ahead on a type of drag to use and making several trips. I hunted alone for many years many times and many pack outs by myself. Only had a pack of wild dogs come into the equitation when coming back for the second load.
I always used the "Sleigh" a thick piece of rolled up plastic with Bunji cords to holds the packages on the sleigh. I would field dress then take the heart, liver, back straps and tenderloins out and put in a pack along with the ribs. The put all that on the sleigh and one back quarter. I could then put my Climber on my back with my other packs and rifle and drag the sleigh behind me. On my second trip I would only take my revolver S&W Model 29 and pull the sleigh with the remaining three quarters back to my truck.
Takes some planning, but doesn't all hunts take pre planning?
If you are hunting by yourself make sure that you give your hunting area MAP to someone in case of an emergency. Carry a first aid kit (not walmart but a real one) a radio and phone and Sat Phone if you have one. Also a S.O.S. Locator system., water, food, space blanket, fire starter. A simple twist of an ankle can doom you if the weather turns bad.
With proper Pre-Planning and correct gear you can have a GREAT experience hunting by yourself.

Longest I've done was 4 miles. It sucked. A lot.

This year was 3 miles. It sucked. A lot.

They all seem to suck. Antelope are a lot easier to carry out. 😂

Attachments

• IMG_9123.jpeg
    IMG_9123.jpeg
    699.5 KB · Views: 686
Tough question that depends a lot on terrain and weather. I've passed on elk that were too far from the truck or in an area I couldn't imagine getting them out from. Packing out an elk yourself is tough. I figure at least three trips, maybe four. Tried to do a boned out cow elk in two trips one time…didn't make it far before I divided it into three loads instead. 3 miles from the truck means six miles round trip. 20+ miles with half of that carrying a full load? Better have a lot of time and a lot of energy. If you can get in on a cart or sled even for half of the pack out, it changes things.

My personal criteria, is it in Grizzly country? If yes, than all the rules change, don't like being in Grizzly country alone and covered in meat/blood. Secondly, is the terrain, steep and covered in blow downs is a recipe for knee surgery. And lastly is the weather, in good, cool weather with absence of Grizzlies and gentle terrain, then make more light loads and take your time, or hunt with some high school football players and have them pack it all.

Terrain plays a significant role. I've been in places 2 miles was max.
But I get in awesome shape before season so…
Recently at 50 I started hunting out of state solo. First 2-years I took five elk.
1-1mile in 3 - 2miles and 1 5-miles.
Those 2-miles and under had them out the day I shot them.
5-miles in, took me 2 hard days. 45-miles in 2 days solo with 4 80 lb loads meat and 1 80ish load for camp and head was pretty tough.

Just remember. Every mile your in is 8 miles of. Hiking to get it out. ( 2-miles round trip x 4)